The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by jack.hadamard
What I thought is, if I labelled subset as {a1,a2,...,ap}\{ a_1, a_2, ..., a_p\}, and defined

aiaj=a(i×pj)a_i * a_j = a_{(i \times_{p} j)}

then I think, I get a cyclic group. I assume the operation is associative, but it follows from the associativity of multiplication modulo.

Then, if I define f(ai)=if(a_i) = i, I get that

f(aiaj)=f(a(i×pj))=i×pj=f(ai)×pf(aj)f(a_i * a_j) = f(a_{(i \times_{p} j)}) = i \times_{p} j = f(a_i) \times_{p} f(a_j)

and this is clearly bijective, so it is an isomorphism to Zp\mathbb{Z}_p.

In this case I get a cyclic group, for all sets with a prime number of elements.
However, I need this to be true for every number of elements, and if it helps, they will be naturals.

I see what you're doing. You need to be quite careful here: Zn\mathbb{Z}_n is not (usually) constructed a subset of N\mathbb{N}, or even of Z\mathbb{Z}, and it's not a subgroup of either under any conventional operations. It is normally either defined abstractly or defined concretely a quotient of Z\mathbb{Z} by the subgroup nZn\mathbb{Z}.

Now, Zn\mathbb{Z}_n is not a group under multiplication modulo nn, even when nn is prime (for instance, pp has no multiplicative inverse modulo pp). And it is always a group under addition, even when nn isn't prime.

However, Zp\mathbb{Z}_p^* is a group under multiplication; its elements are {1,2,,p1}\{ 1, 2, \cdots, p-1 \} with multiplication defined by a×pb=ab(modp)a \times_p b = ab \pmod p. But ZpZp1\mathbb{Z}_p^* \cong \mathbb{Z}_{p-1}, and the correspondence is not as simple as mapping, say, 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 to 3 and so on... the isomorphism will mess up the ordering of the integers.

And on this basis it doesn't make a difference that your indices are natural numbers, since if you want them to act multiplicatively then you'll need to screw up their ordering anyway in order to map them into Zp\mathbb{Z}_p^*. So you can choose between making them act additively, so for instance aiaj=ai+nja_i * a_j = a_{i +_n j}, in which case it makes no difference whether or not nn is prime; or you can choose another group and group operation and choose your isomorphism a different way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nuodai
So you can choose between making them act additively, so for instance aiaj=ai+nja_i * a_j = a_{i +_n j}, in which case it makes no difference whether or not nn is prime; or you can choose another group and group operation and choose your isomorphism a different way.

I see. Well, it was the first one that I picked! So, if I choose them additively, then it seems plausible?
I'll have a look at it now, and check the details to see whether it works. Thanks! :tongue:

EDIT: I know what you mean by the above though, you didn't waste time to write it all out. I did it quickly, and slightly mispresented it. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 542
I see. Well, it was the first one that I picked! So, if I choose them additively, then it seems plausible?
I'll have a look at it now, and check the details to see whether it works. Thanks! :tongue:

Yes. But you seem to be making it harder than you have to: by labelling the elements of your subset from 1 up to n you have already defined an isomorphism from your subset to Zn\mathbb{Z}_n, by the method I described two posts ago, since the group structure is inherited from the identification with the elements of Zn\mathbb{Z}_n.

A more critical issue is that not all subsets of N\mathbb{N} are finite, but I'm sure you can work out a way round that...
Original post by nuodai
Yes. But you seem to be making it harder than you have to: by labelling the elements of your subset from 1 up to n you have already defined an isomorphism from your subset to Zn\mathbb{Z}_n, by the method I described two posts ago, since the group structure is inherited from the identification with the elements of Zn\mathbb{Z}_n.

A more critical issue is that not all subsets of N\mathbb{N} are finite, but I'm sure you can work out a way round that...

Yes, that is true, but I want to play a bit more with it.

It was just an idea, so I have to think through the details, and see how exactly I'm going to apply it.
Well, more specifically, I'm looking at some periodic sequences, so that's not a problem for now. :tongue:

EDIT:

Original post by nuodai
More specifically, if ANA \subset \mathbb{N} is any subset and (G,)(G,*) is a group with A=G\left| A \right| = \left| G \right| then any bijection f:AGf : A \to G induces a group structure (A,)(A, \cdot) on AA by defining ab=f1(f(a)f(b))a \cdot b = f^{-1}(f(a) * f(b)).

This is quite nice! I think I have seen it already used for the Isomorphism theorem, but obviously didn't process it well enough! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nuodai

Found some links: Does every non-empty set admit a group structure on Google. Interesting! :smile:
Reply 545
Found some links: Does every non-empty set admit a group structure on Google. Interesting! :smile:

It's often the case that statements of the form "every set has [such and such a structure]" are equivalent to the axiom of choice (or a weaker variant of it), a famous example being "every set has a well-ordering". Most people accept the axiom of choice and get on with their lives, but it is quite interesting to know when it's being used :smile: I thought that the assertion that every set has a group structure depended on the axiom of choice, but I didn't know they were equivalent!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nuodai
.. a famous example being "every set has a well-ordering".

So, that's the final ingredient of the argument! :tongue: I have heard this axiom so many times that one may think I know what it means, but I find it interesting already! :smile:
Sorry to break up the Group Theory discussion - would like some thoughts on this... :smile:

If f:RRf:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R} is continuous everywhere and f(x)=C    xQf(x)=C\;\;\forall x\in\mathbb{Q} can I conclude that f(x)=C    xR  ?f(x)=C\;\;\forall x\in\mathbb{R}\; ?

My thoughts were along the lines of:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
One of the books given for Numbers and Sets is Numbers, Sets and Axioms by A. Hamilton.
Nobody suggested books on Set Theory so far? Any comments?

Usually, two sets are defined to be equal if ABA \subseteq B and BAB \subseteq A, or equivalently, if xA    xBx \in A \iff x \in B.

Why is this called the Axiom of ``Extensionality", expressed as: x(xAxB)A=B\forall x (x \in A \equiv x \in B) \Rightarrow A = B? It does not 'extend' anything. :biggrin:
Reply 549
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Does that work?

Yup, that's fine, but the wording is slightly awkward and I can't put my finger on why. When dealing directly with the definition of continuity it's good to be more specific with ε\varepsilon and δ\deltas, so something like:

Spoiler

It sounds like more of a mouthful, but that way you're not skipping over details.
Reply 550
Why is this called the Axiom of ``Extensionality", expressed as: x(xAxB)A=B\forall x (x \in A \equiv x \in B) \Rightarrow A = B? It does not 'extend' anything. :biggrin:

It doesn't mean 'extension' as in 'make something bigger', it means extension as in 'the ability to include more things'. The reasoning goes a bit deeper into relations.

Background:
A relation RR on a set XX can be thought of in a few ways (all are equivalent). One way is as a subset RX×XR \subseteq X \times X, which means it's a collection of ordered pairs (x,y)(x,y) where x,yXx,y \in X. (An example of a relation is the set X×XX \times X itself, which can be thought of as the set of all 'coordinates'.) Relations generalise functions: a function ff is a relation for which for each xx there is exactly one yy such that (x,y)f(x,y) \in f, and we denote this yy by f(x)f(x). In this sense, we can think of a relation as a 'multi-valued function'. (For instance, the set containing all (x,y)(x,y) where y=xy=\sqrt{x} or y=xy=-\sqrt{x} is a relation, but not a function.) But the nitty-gritty aside, just think of a relation RR as being a set containing ordered pairs of elements of some set.

Now, if (x,y)R(x,y) \in R then we say xx is an 'RR-predecessor' of yy. So for instance if ff is a function then you could say (although most people don't) that xx is an ff-predecessor of f(x)f(x) for each xx in the domain of ff.

The relevant bit:
A relation RR is called 'extensional' if each element yXy \in X is determined by its RR-predecessors. That is, if for all xXx \in X we have (x,y)R(x,y)R(x,y) \in R \Leftrightarrow (x,y') \in R, then y=yy=y'. The axiom of extensionality, therefore, is just the assertion that \in is an extensional relation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nuodai
It doesn't mean 'extension' as in 'make something bigger', it means extension as in 'the ability to include more things'. The reasoning goes a bit deeper into relations.

Background:
A relation RR on a set XX can be thought of in a few ways (all are equivalent). One way is as a subset RX×XR \subseteq X \times X, which means it's a collection of ordered pairs (x,y)(x,y) where x,yXx,y \in X. (An example of a relation is the set X×XX \times X itself, which can be thought of as the set of all 'coordinates'.) Relations generalise functions: a function ff is a relation for which for each xx there is exactly one yy such that (x,y)f(x,y) \in f, and we denote this yy by f(x)f(x). In this sense, we can think of a relation as a 'multi-valued function'. (For instance, the set containing all (x,y)(x,y) where y=xy=\sqrt{x} or y=xy=-\sqrt{x} is a relation, but not a function.) But the nitty-gritty aside, just think of a relation RR as being a set containing ordered pairs of elements of some set.

Now, if (x,y)R(x,y) \in R then we say xx is an 'RR-predecessor' of yy. So for instance if ff is a function then you could say (although most people don't) that xx is an ff-predecessor of f(x)f(x) for each xx in the domain of ff.

The relevant bit:
A relation RR is called 'extensional' if each element yXy \in X is determined by its RR-predecessors. That is, if for all xXx \in X (x,y)R(x,y)R(x,y) \in R \Rightarrow (x,y') \in R, then y=yy=y'. The axiom of extensionality, therefore, is just the assertion that \in is an extensional relation.

where can I learn what all that notation means?
Reply 552
Original post by kingkongjaffa
where can I learn what all that notation means?

Most textbooks introduce it as you go along; the notation I used would all be in a typical first year textbook. I can't really think of any to suggest though. The table on Wikipedia isn't very useful but might help a little bit.
Original post by nuodai

Merci!
Original post by nuodai
The relevant bit:
A relation RR is called 'extensional' if each element yXy \in X is determined by its RR-predecessors. That is, if for all xXx \in X (x,y)R(x,y)R(x,y) \in R \Rightarrow (x,y') \in R, then y=yy=y'. The axiom of extensionality, therefore, is just the assertion that \in is an extensional relation.

I see. Just for clarity, this notion of a ``relation" is as general as it can be.
e.g. I don't attribute it any properties other than being a subset of a Cartesian product?

I am still trying to decipher the last bit though.

Is xXx \in X (x,y)R(x,y)R(x,y) \in R \Rightarrow (x,y') \in R the same as

If for all xXx \in X, we have xRyxRyx R y \Rightarrow x R y', then y=yy = y'?

In this case, I get that the axiom of extensionality would be: RR is \in and y=A,y=By = A, y' = B.

Following this logic, would == and \equiv be extensional relations?
Reply 555
I see. Just for clarity, this notion of a ``relation" is as general as it can be.
e.g. I don't attribute it any properties other than being a subset of a Cartesian product?
Well it's nothing more than that - a subset of a Cartesian product (of a set with itself). Relations are extremely useful (equivalence relations, partial orders and preorders are all types of relation). They can be generalised further, say to nn-ary relations, which are subsets of XnX^n or to subsets of X×YX \times Y, or even more general products.

Is xXx \in X (x,y)R(x,y)R(x,y) \in R \Rightarrow (x,y') \in R the same as

If for all xXx \in X, we have xRyxRyx R y \Rightarrow x R y', then y=yy = y'?
Yes. (x,y)R(x,y) \in R, xRyxRy and RxyRxy are three ways of writing the same thing. I prefer the former unless it's some kind of ordering or inclusion.

In this case, I get that the axiom of extensionality would be: RR is \in and y=A,y=By = A, y' = B.
Yes.

Following this logic, would == and \equiv be extensional relations?

Yes. But, for instance, if we write HGH \le G to mean that HH is a subgroup of a group GG (where we consider the groups as being 'up to isomorphism'); then \le is not extensional (for instance, D6D_6 and C6C_6 have the same subgroups).
Original post by nuodai

Yes. But, for instance, if we write HGH \le G to mean that HH is a subgroup of a group GG (where we consider the groups as being 'up to isomorphism'); then \le is not extensional (for instance, D6D_6 and C6C_6 have the same subgroups).

Oh, yes. I wasn't very sure about the meaning of == in that case (definition), but took it as being the same object.

Would you recommend Naive Set Theory? Or, perhaps, any other book that might be useful -- I notice most of these have no prerequisites.
Comments suggest it is a well structured introduction that covers all axioms of ZF? (It's funny how naive is this book with this axiomatic nature. :tongue:)
Reply 557
Oh, yes. I wasn't very sure about the meaning of == in that case, but took it as being the same object.

Would you recommend Naive Set Theory? Or, perhaps, any other book that might be useful -- I notice most of these have no prerequisites.
Comments suggest it is a well structured introduction that covers all axioms of ZF? (It's funny how naive is this book with this axiomatic nature. :tongue:)

I didn't learn naive set theory from a book, and as far as I know there isn't a copy of the lecture notes online, so I can't really say. I've heard of that book, though, which probably means it's not too bad.

Promise me you won't just do maths this summer? I'm a bit worried.
Original post by nuodai

Promise me you won't just do maths this summer? I'm a bit worried.

I won't get the chance, otherwise.. no doubt! :biggrin: I will be a lot more busier next month. :tongue:
Reply 559

Yep, great book

Quick Reply

Latest