The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

M208 Pure Mathematics this October anyone?

Anyone?

I've just finished MS221, looking forward to tackling M208 this year :biggrin:
Original post by -G-a-v-
Anyone?

Nice one, MST209 for me - I don't think there are many M208ers on here!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
208 is the best course ever.
Sadly it's 209 this autumn for me too:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by sputum
208 is the best course ever.
Sadly it's 209 this autumn for me too:frown:

Any words of wisdom for M208? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by -G-a-v-
Any words of wisdom for M208? :smile:

Don't do as I did, do as I say:biggrin:

Don't freak if something doesn't make sense for a while. (If you're doing a maths degree, get used to the feeling:smile: you'll probably be getting it a lot from now on)

Don't get bogged down, sometimes the best explanation for you is elsewhere in the chapter/module. Plus the same rules crop up in different contexts.

Get all the cheap early marks you can if you want a good grade (I had TMA scores of 40 and 73 and still just scraped an 85% OCAS thanks to big early scores and substitution)

I read quite a few complaints about over-pedanticism, restating the obvious and the like but in my own experience everything they want for a TMA answer is important even if I didn't think so at the time.

And racking up a good exam result without really understanding what you are doing is very achievable. Last year's M208 exam was easier for me than this June's 221 paper (but I did a lot more revision for 208 and got two perfect S2 questions)

enjoy:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sputum

Do you have any OU past papers I could look at?
Reply 6
Original post by nohomo
Do you have any OU past papers I could look at?

There are a bunch of older M303 ones here if you want any discussed/solved I can probably do the non-calculus ones:redface: (there is little calculus in 208 anyway)

2006 has disappeared from the web shop but as far as I can tell it's still not legally distributable.

The 2005 paper linked above is a decent guide. Ignore flows, mobius transformations and possibly a few other bits, but the group theory, linear algebra and analysis are represented and many questions very similar in style.
The questions are very similar across years. You do get a single specimen paper with marking scheme + solutions with the course materials.

EDIT: M208 has 12 S1 Qs and 2 from 5 S2 Qs
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm starting M208 this October too. Waiting until my M248 exam before I really get going though, then I'll just blitz it.
Just completed MST125 and starting M208 in October. Any advice on good preparation for this course would be welcome.
Reply 9
Original post by -G-a-v-
Anyone?

M208 for me :-)

Quick Reply