The Student Room Group

Should I finish my degree or take this opportunity?

I dont think I can do both, so what do you think is the best thing to do :frown: I'm so confused I want to do both! but cant!

PLEASE ANSWER!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by blank_smile
Ok so I have been offered a job for a lab assistant position at the pathology lab. However I'm just in the middle of my degree which is Comp science and Human resources.

I dont think I can do both, so what do you think is the best thing to do :frown: I'm so confused I want to do both! but cant!

PLEASE ANSWER!!

By middle, are you finishing first or second year?
Finish your degree.

If you lose your pathology lab job, you will have work experience alone to apply for new positions, which in something like research is not as desirable as an Honours degree. At the end of the day, do what you think will be best for you on the longterm.
Reply 3
Original post by cpdavis
By middle, are you finishing first or second year?

I've finished first, and will go into second year in Sept. I dont know what I should do! The lab job seems like a rare opportunity!
Reply 4
Original post by chiligrinder
Finish your degree.

If you lose your pathology lab job, you will have work experience alone to apply for new positions, which in something like research is not as desirable as an Honours degree. At the end of the day, do what you think will be best for you on the longterm.

By the way if I do both, then I will be unable to come to uni 3 days in a week. Wil that be bad or do you think I can manage with not coming in those days?
Reply 5
I've finished first, and will go into second year in Sept. I dont know what I should do! The lab job seems like a rare opportunity!

Realistically, you would have more opportunities like this come up as you complete your degree. I would say to leave the job, complete your degree and then look for jobs in that field :yep:
Reply 6
Take the job, transfer credits to the OU and finish your degree there.

You have more options than you think.
Reply 7
The job is permanent and there is room for development, what do I do!
Reply 8
Original post by Juno

The job is permanent, there is training so its too much of a good opportunity.

If I work and do uni, can I manage, but I will be unable to go uni 3 days in the week!?
Reply 9
Original post by Juno

This is actually a good option :yep:

The job is permanent, there is training so its too much of a good opportunity.

If I work and do uni, can I manage, but I will be unable to go uni 3 days in the week!?

OP, read the advice above. This might be your best option if you are missing that much uni in a week :yep:
Reply 10
Original post by cpdavis

Of course it is. I suggested it.
Reply 11
Original post by cpdavis

OP, read the advice above. This might be your best option if you are missing that much uni in a week :yep:

I am unsure how this works, I am a person who needs help , I am unable to work alone like that. Is 3 days a week too much to miss?
Finish your degree, it's stupid to give up a degree for a job.

When you finish then you'll be able to apply for more jobs and get more offers than one.
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
Of course it is. I suggested it.

Do you think 3 days a week of no uni, is ok if I am in 2nd and 3rd year? Will i manage with my study?
Why do you want this job, OP? Is it for the money, work experience or because you actually want to work as a lab assistant?
Reply 15
I am unsure how this works, I am a person who needs help , I am unable to work alone like that. Is 3 days a week too much to miss?

if your unable to work on your own in the open university style you could look at part time degrees, or ask at your uni about switching to part time.

I don't know if you started a part time degree now if they would count your credits from first year but it would probably make securing the place really easy, plus you would have this job and eventually a degree.
Reply 16
Original post by I love shopping
Why do you want this job, OP? Is it for the money, work experience or because you actually want to work as a lab assistant?

I think that because its a great field to work in, also I am in a secure job. I want a degree just for the sake of having one though.
I think that because its a great field to work in, also I am in a secure job. I want a degree just for the sake of having one though.

Are you sure you'll enjoy the job and won't regret quitting your degree?
I would stick with your degree if you can, you'll have a greater choice of careers to choose from.
Good luck! :smile:
what does this job include? Are there opportunities to learn new skills, how well does it pay, is it secure etc? Also can you ever get promotions in the job, will you always be an assistant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending