The Student Room Group

Ib subject choice advice please

Hi, I am about to start year 11 and have to finalise my sixth form options fairly soon. I want to study medicine, preferably at Cambridge if I can get in. I plan to do the IB studying:

HL maths
HL biology
HL chemistry

SL English a1
SL French
SL psychology OR geography

So yeah have I taken anything stupid and should I do psychology or geography, I currently study psychology gcse and am predicted an a* and and a/a* in IGCSE geography

Reply 1
As long as you have biology & chemistry HL, your other subject choices don't matter. :smile:
Your HL subjects are fine. And it doesn't matter which you take between Geog/Psych. Do the one which has the course content that most appeals to you. You'll be studying it for two years, and if you don't enjoy it then it might affect your motivation to do well.
Reply 3
Original post by TKB
Hi, I am about to start year 11 and have to finalise my sixth form options fairly soon. I want to study medicine, preferably at Cambridge if I can get in. I plan to do the IB studying:

HL maths
HL biology
HL chemistry

SL English a1
SL French
SL psychology OR geography

So yeah have I taken anything stupid and should I do psychology or geography, I currently study psychology gcse and am predicted an a* and and a/a* in IGCSE geography

Now, I am an iB survivor so basically going to say:

I would personally recommend econ (did it myself) and it has the highest percentage of 6's and 7's if you put in the work. I messed up 2 papers out of 4 and came out with a 6 in HL. Also, its a good contrast from the sciences (psych, bio and chem). Also HL math is not a requirement except for select Cambridge colleges so see if you need it since HL math is a lot of work and the other unis according to tar wiki don't need HL math. Sorry for the essay. :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
You could try Psychology as it could be somewhat beneficial for Docotors at times.
Reply 5
TKB
OP
Thanks, I want to do HL maths purely because I like maths and like both geog and psych so was just wondering if one would help/hinder my chances??

Also, I heard that psych could be useful to a doctor though geography gives a better understanding of the world??
Reply 6
Original post by TKB
Thanks, I want to do HL maths purely because I like maths and like both geog and psych so was just wondering if one would help/hinder my chances??

Also, I heard that psych could be useful to a doctor though geography gives a better understanding of the world??

Psychology should be slightly more useful, but pick based on which you enjoy more and which you think you will get a better score in. You will gain a good world understanding through all aspects of the program anyway.
IB survivor as of May this year.

Your subjects are perfect for medicine. Pick whichever from psychology and geography. I would personally take geography as psychology can be more 'mysterious' during exams but then again psychology is obviously more useful for you.

Unless you really really love maths and feel confident in getting a 7 or at the very least a 6 don't take HL because you'll only be shooting yourself in the foot. If you get an offer from Cambridge, it will most probably be 42 with 776 at HL and that means that if you like many many other people passionate and capable in maths end up getting a 5 you will miss your offer unfortunately.

Good luck and may the IB gods always be with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending