The Student Room Group

Is physical education really compulsary?

Is it the law that I must do two hours of PE at school every week? I'm going into fourth year. This is just out of interest, I don't want a whole load of people telling me I should be doing PE bla bla bla, because that's not what I'm asking. I am not overweight, I am fit, and I eat healthily. I'm going into S4 in August to start my highers.

Questions

1. Is it the law that I must do PE during S4?
2. Can I opt-out of PE in S5, as I could leave school anyway?
3. Could I ask to study during PE periods instead of doing the class lessons?

Personally I think PE should be more about personal fitness rather than competitive sport, as imagine if maths was a competition where someone in the top class had to play someone in the bottom class? This would surely be deemed unfair and humiliating. That's what I think anyway. Share your opinion!

I'm asking this under scottish qualifications so I have responses relevant to scottish rules/ law.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm starting sixth year in August and I'm not a fitness lover. I'm a size 8/10 and hate sport mainly because it's not my strong point :frown:.

Our school tells us it's the law and we have to do it even in sixth year,no study periods or anything but we just go against the rules and don't bring our stuff- not even the head boy and head girl do it so I say what's the point plus we don't lose our prefect badges- I don't know what it will be like in your school but we aren't allowed to opt out
Original post by anthonyfl
1. Is it the law that I must do PE during S4?

I don't think so. There is a target that every pupil undertake 2 hours of physical education each week, which probably has assorted bureaucratic penalties if your school misses it, but I'm reasonably sure you're not obligated.

2. Can I opt-out of PE in S5, as I could leave school anyway?

Your conclusion doesn't follow from the premise. What you can do in school differs from what you can do outside, even if you're there by choice.

Just do it. Worst that happens is you're told 'no'.
Reply 3
The Scottish Government says:

by 2014, every school pupil in Scotland will benefit from at least two hours per week of physical education in primary school, and two periods in S1 to S4.

It doesn't say it is compulsory in S5 or S6 however. It was mandatory in my school, though no girls ever did it anyway. :rolleyes: If the school does make it optional, the inspectors do frown upon it, as they do RE, as RE was non-compulsory in S5/6 at my school (it now is), and this contributed to my school's poor report.

I personally feel it should be compulsory, I don't understand why some people think the time should be used for studying - whether you doing Highers or Advanced Highers or whatever - you DO NOT need that time for studying... As for the recommendation you should do half an hour studying per subject per night? **** off. You don't.
Reply 4

I'm sorry, I never noticed you wrote that. I wasn't directing my rant at you, just those who don't share my love of sport and would rather study instead. :colondollar:

My humblest apologies. :hat2:
Reply 5
Original post by Direct15
I'm starting sixth year in August and I'm not a fitness lover. I'm a size 8/10 and hate sport mainly because it's not my strong point :frown:.

Our school tells us it's the law and we have to do it even in sixth year,no study periods or anything but we just go against the rules and don't bring our stuff- not even the head boy and head girl do it so I say what's the point plus we don't lose our prefect badges- I don't know what it will be like in your school but we aren't allowed to opt out

In our school you get one period of PE in S5 and then none in S6. But unfortunately neat year I have two periods! Ahh!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
It's not compulsory - as far as I'm aware - in s5 or s6.

Should you wish to see the legislation you could do worse than looking into the clumsily named Standards in Scotland’s Schools etc. Act 2000

Particularly

2 Duty of education authority in providing school education

(1)Where school education is provided to a child or young person by, or by virtue of arrangements made, or entered into, by, an education authority it shall be the duty of the authority to secure that the education is directed to the development of the personality, talents and mental and physical abilities of the child or young person to their fullest potential.

(2)In carrying out their duty under this section, an education authority shall have due regard, so far as is reasonably practicable, to the views (if there is a wish to express them) of the child or young person in decisions that significantly affect that child or young person, taking account of the child or young person’s age and maturity.

Incidentally, I find it a bit surreal that even in my fourth year of University I was able to have a few nights off a week most of the year but s5 and s6 students think they two hours PE a week is vital studying time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by golfpro14
I'm sorry, I never noticed you wrote that. I wasn't directing my rant at you, just those who don't share my love of sport and would rather study instead. :colondollar:

My humblest apologies. :hat2:

It's fine, there was me thinking that was all because of me! Well I don't need it to study, but I hate PE, so it sounds like the best excuse. I found I had a horrible class last year. I missed PE over 50% of the time :/

I think it's hugely arrogant to be telling people what they do or don't need.
Reply 9
Original post by TheUnbeliever
I think it's hugely arrogant to be telling people what they do or don't need.

That is the basis of our ENTIRE education system.
Reply 10
Original post by Ocassus

Oh my God.

You've exposed the corruption at the heart of the system. We're through the looking glass here people.
Reply 11
It's fine, there was me thinking that was all because of me! Well I don't need it to study, but I hate PE, so it sounds like the best excuse. I found I had a horrible class last year. I missed PE over 50% of the time :/

Fair enough I guess, I'd just get sick of all the studying! I'd much rather be active - like this banana. :banana:
Reply 12
Original post by Norton1
It's not compulsory - as far as I'm aware - in s5 or s6.

Should you wish to see the legislation you could do worse than looking into the clumsily named Standards in Scotland’s Schools etc. Act 2000

Particularly

Incidentally, I find it a bit surreal that even in my fourth year of University I was able to have a few nights off a week most of the year but s5 and s6 students think they two hours PE a week is vital studying time.

I'm not actually wanting it for studying! I just hate PE!

Reply 13
So I could quote that bit to them about them having to accommodate my views? :wink: Interesting..very interesting haha :smile:

Reply 14
I'm not actually wanting it for studying! I just hate PE

Because you're not very good at it. Live with it, you're not going to be good at everything in life.

Just remember that the one's that are best at P.E will probably end up shovelling **** for nothing a month.

Beautiful system.
Reply 15
Original post by Norton1
Because you're not very good at it. Live with it, you're not going to be good at everything in life.

Just remember that the one's that are best at P.E will probably end up shovelling **** for nothing a month.

Beautiful system.

I'm terrible at it. It's not a personal pride thing though, it's everything about it.

The changing rooms (I'm not embarrassed about getting changed, it's just I don't like being herded into a room with complete morons who chuck stuff and punch each other).

A lot of the people in my class are idiots, annoying and bullies. The teachers don't seem to try and stop their behaviour as would happen in any other subject.

PE teachers fail to realise, no, I do not want to play competitive sports where I will be screamed at for kicking a ball to the wrong person. I'd rather personally work on personal fitness. And, as I said, I would like PE teachers to start controlling their classes.

Reply 16
Original post by Norton1

Beautiful system.

Btw that rant wasn't at you at all, it was just in general :smile: and yes, beautiful system haha :smile:

Original post by Ocassus

Original post by Norton1
Oh my God.

You've exposed the corruption at the heart of the system. We're through the looking glass here people.

They'll come for him as he knows the truth :redface:

Apologies i put she then thought to double check realising it was a 'he'
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I don't like being herded into a room with complete morons who chuck stuff and punch each other).

A lot of the people in my class are idiots, annoying and bullies.

95% of these idiots leave after S4, so PE tends to become much more peaceful.

I'd rather personally work on personal fitness.

Hmmm, I never really thought of PE in that way. Do you get options of what you do at your school, or are you forced to play whatever (football by the sound of it)?
Reply 19
Original post by nerd434
To be honest, I just view it as a waste of time at my school. Nobody takes it seriously, everyone just picks dodgeball and then throw the balls at the teacher. Very productive.

Thankfully for S5 pupils, our school has provided us with a few options. We can do the following in our one period a week:

1. Core P.E - Choose from a range of poorly organised activities.

2. Voluntary Service - No, it's nothing too beneficial to university applicants. None of it involves social interaction, it's merely community service. You go out and plant trees etc. I think it was initially aimed at those with learning difficulties but we all just seemed to hijack it.

3. Essential Cookery - I actually thought this was a good idea. It's aimed at those who will most likely be students and living in their own accommodation. It shows you how to cook up some simple meals in very little time.

Lol'd at the bit about people hijacking the community service thing! I'm moving to your school to plant trees instead of doing PE :smile: Plan!

Which are you doing?

(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending