The Student Room Group

What excuses can I use to stay at uni for the weekend?

My dad wants me to come back on weekends but there is a concert I want to attend to on a saturday and he already said no because it's too far away but I already got the tickets because he rarely comes to the UK! It's on 22nd september (2nd week of uni).. What excuse can I use to stay at uni that weekend.. Keeping in mind lectures don't start till October!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by imasupercoolgeek
he already said no

What did he say no to?
(edited 11 years ago)
Me going to the concert. It's over 100 miles away

Reply 3
22nd Sept is the 2nd week of uni yet your lectures don't start until October? Not sure how this one works...
But just say you wanna stay with the friends you've made.
Reply 4
Tell him you're old enough to make your own decisions and you don't need his permission for this sort of stuff anymore.
Reply 5
Original post by Muddy_Hands
Tell him you're old enough to make your own decisions and you don't need his permission for this sort of stuff anymore.

Agreed. I can understand informing him that you're staying; but asking his permission, no.
Reply 6
You've told him you want to go to a concert on that weekend. He told you he doesn't want you going to the concert and you must go home for that weekend. You suddenly 'can't' go home that weekend because [insert excuse]. Give the guy some credit, he probably ain't stupid.

Couldn't you say "Look Dad, I know you aren't comfortable with me going to a concert 100 miles away but I really want to go, what can I do to reassure you and make you feel okay about me going?" or even "I'm going to the concert because I have already got the tickets. This (safe place) is where I am staying and these (sensible people) are who I'm going with, I will phone you every night to let you know I am safe".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
You seriously needed to start a thread for this? Are you like 12?
Reply 8
Just tell him you're going to the concert.You are 18,legally an adult and I assume you are away at uni.You dont need his permission to do anything anymore.
My dad wants me to come back on weekends but there is a concert I want to attend to on a saturday and he already said no because it's too far away but I already got the tickets because he rarely comes to the UK! It's on 22nd september (2nd week of uni).. What excuse can I use to stay at uni that weekend.. Keeping in mind lectures don't start till October!

how old are you?
Reply 10
Just tell him you've only just got there and want a proper chance to settle in and make friends and my coming home as soon as I've started, thats not going to happen. Failing that just tell him you have a job interview.
Reply 11

Are you over the age of 18?

If so you are an adult and therefore you can say no if you want to.
Me going to the concert. It's over 100 miles away

100 miles from where

100 miles from your university ... in that case you are not staying at university are you

At university and that is 100 miles from home ... why on earth would you be going home

Oh, and, apart from that ... why would your dad be insisting that you go home on weekends anyway ... is that going to be every weekend
If you're moving away for uni. You should be entitled to go where you like. Old enough to move away, should be old enough to go to a concert wherever.

I'd just have a chat with him. Tell him you're at uni now and old enough to make your own decisions and take responsibility for your actions and you'd like it if he would give you a bit of trust.

Original post by jami74
You've told him you want to go to a concert on that weekend. He told you he doesn't want you going to the concert and you must go home for that weekend. You suddenly 'can't' go home that weekend because [insert excuse]. Give the guy some credit, he probably ain't stupid.

Couldn't you say "Look Dad, I know you aren't comfortable with me going to a concert 100 miles away but I really want to go, what can I do to reassure you and make you feel okay about me going?" or even "I'm going to the concert because I have already got the tickets. This (safe place) is where I am staying and these (sensible people) are who I'm going with, I will phone you every night to let you know I am safe".

I know he's not stupid but he isn't good with remembering dates so he will forget it by then :smile: & my dads the type never to change his answer from a no to a yes.

Original post by dj1015
Are you over the age of 18?

If so you are an adult and therefore you can say no if you want to.

I am but that doesn't give me the right to disobey my parents.

Original post by TenOfThem
100 miles from where

100 miles from your university ... in that case you are not staying at university are you

At university and that is 100 miles from home ... why on earth would you be going home

Oh, and, apart from that ... why would your dad be insisting that you go home on weekends anyway ... is that going to be every weekend

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough, 100/150 miles away from the concerts. I'm only about 30/40 miles away from home and he wants me to come back every few weeks which sucks because I dont want to but I don't want to be disobedient to my dad who's stuck by me for 18 years

I am but that doesn't give me the right to disobey my parents.

Then why have you started this thread in order to gain ideas that will enable you to do just that
Original post by DonJuan
You seriously needed to start a thread for this? Are you like 12?

How can I be 12 and go university?

If you intended it in a sarcasm way, which I suspect, I am legally obliged to post anything I want :smile:

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough, 100/150 miles away from the concerts. I'm only about 30/40 miles away from home and he wants me to come back every few weeks which sucks because I dont want to but I don't want to be disobedient to my dad who's stuck by me for 18 years

So this is not about you staying at university for the weekend

You want to go to a concert
You want to lie to your Dad and pretend that you are staying at university
But you need an excuse because he will want you to go home

But when people say just stand up for yourself and be honest you say that you do not want to be disobedient

I am sorry but honesty is the best way and if he says no and you want to respect his wishes then no concert

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending