The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Officially finished today! Graduation day was lovely :smile: Our course's own one, there are only 29 of us so it was a really nice day. It wasn't a sad day either, everyone was just really tired and happy! I got a 'trainee progress award' too!

Well I say I'm finished, but actually don't feel like it as I'm not able to switch off for another week- I'm going on a school trip to Germany on Sunday night with my placement school, then I'm coming back from that a couple of days early to go to year 7 induction and then my own induction at my new school. This time next week I'll be able to afford to breathe again...
Felt a bit 'caught in the headlights' today. I went for a lesson observation, as stage one of an interview. Not the interview I mentioned earlier, as I withdrew from that school, but another that I applied for on the same day... Anyway, I taught my lesson and it seemed to go well. Most surprisingly of all - I actually enjoyed it! It was nice being in charge of a class again. :redface:

Anyway, they asked me to wait after my lesson. The letter said they would decide whether they wanted to interview you or not afterwards, and then the interview would be the following day. After waiting 1h45m, they collected me and I ended up walking straight into a 5-person-panel interview! I hadn't really prepared - as things have been fraught recently - as they said we would be invited to interview tomorrow [if successful], so reading up on everything again was my job for tonight. Needless to say, I found it rather stressful - answering all their questions, on the hop. I don't think I came across as well as I could, so I am not expecting the job. It is a little bit annoying, given the confusion and knowing I could have answered better, but nevermind...

There isn't anything else nearby to apply for - teaching wise - so that is it for now. Ahh well. :/
Original post by affinity89
Felt a bit 'caught in the headlights' today. I went for a lesson observation, as stage one of an interview. Not the interview I mentioned earlier, as I withdrew from that school, but another that I applied for on the same day... Anyway, I taught my lesson and it seemed to go well. Most surprisingly of all - I actually enjoyed it! It was nice being in charge of a class again. :redface:

Anyway, they asked me to wait after my lesson. The letter said they would decide whether they wanted to interview you or not afterwards, and then the interview would be the following day. After waiting 1h45m, they collected me and I ended up walking straight into a 5-person-panel interview! I hadn't really prepared - as things have been fraught recently - as they said we would be invited to interview tomorrow [if successful], so reading up on everything again was my job for tonight. Needless to say, I found it rather stressful - answering all their questions, on the hop. I don't think I came across as well as I could, so I am not expecting the job. It is a little bit annoying, given the confusion and knowing I could have answered better, but nevermind...

There isn't anything else nearby to apply for - teaching wise - so that is it for now. Ahh well. :/

That's horrid. I think I would have ran away! You need to be mentally prepared for an interview, for them to spring it on you like that is unfair.
Original post by affinity89

You may still get it - the job I just got I thought I had messed up because I answered one Q rather badly.
The official pass list finally went up today, so now my PGCE is officially complete. Yay! :biggrin:
YaY was signed off todayyy! It's been a tough year! Woop finally! (I did the GTP route) :biggrin:
When is everyone graduating? Mine is November and I've got to ask for a day off work! EEk!

I've said it before but WELL DONE EVERYONE!! :biggrin:
hey guys,

Just one question, when I had my last meeting with the uni tutor who checked my evidence and said you've passed. I asked what next? She wasn't able to say much about the NQT. But I asked what next? I meant in terms of proof i've passed. She said we will send this file off to TDA and then thats it. If you don't get a letter to state you've passed don't worry. But you can contact us and we can write one for you.

Is that it? No certificate? EH?
Original post by balloon_parade
When is everyone graduating? Mine is November and I've got to ask for a day off work! EEk!

I've said it before but WELL DONE EVERYONE!! :biggrin:

Mine was on the 17th but I decided not to go as I've been working as a supply teacher.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1489
Hello,well done to everyone who has finished and qualified, my journey is starting in sept with a primary pgce at derby uni.

I am after this particular book: Fairclough, L, Lea, C, Nelms, R and Shay, M, 2001, Success with numeracy for the QTS skills test (Book/CD ROM), Success Publications.

Does anyone have it for sale now that you're all finished? please p'm me if you can help.

Thanks.
Original post by lowe28
Hello,well done to everyone who has finished and qualified, my journey is starting in sept with a primary pgce at derby uni.

I am after this particular book: Fairclough, L, Lea, C, Nelms, R and Shay, M, 2001, Success with numeracy for the QTS skills test (Book/CD ROM), Success Publications.

Does anyone have it for sale now that you're all finished? please p'm me if you can help.

Thanks.

i havent seen that one before but i found this one useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Numeracy-Skills-Test-Achieving/dp/1844451690/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344437482&sr=8-5
They had that book in the uni library - I wouldn't waste your money on it
Reply 1492
Was really interesting to read through this! Starting on the 10th now feel a bit more prepared an a bit more terrified!!!
Reply 1493
Original post by xxmijxx
Was really interesting to read through this! Starting on the 10th now feel a bit more prepared an a bit more terrified!!!

Me too, where are you doing your pgce?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Original post by lowe28
Me too, where are you doing your pgce?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

Me three, I'm doing mine at Derby :smile:

Reply 1495
Cumbria Uni, trying to get as much rest as i can in the run up :smile:
Canterbury Christ Church here :smile: Only 2 weeks til we start there! Have had around 20k words to do for the course already though!! Apparently it supposed to help with our Subjec t knowledge filed though - so thats good! Hopefully we wont have to use this thread too much "never felt so tired or stressed" but from what ive heard, it is incredibly dificult with basically no time to ourslves!
Good luck to those starting their PGCE this month. Just finished mine and it was the most tiring and stressful yet rewarding year of my life. You will learn a lot about yourself this year, including things you never thought you'd be able to do (like teach).

Biggest advice I can give is always smile - kids are quite forgiving if things go wrong and not to plan. I found just smiling and 'going with it' got me through sticky spots on placement.

ps. start earlier on your assignments. Most people don't and then give this advice for the next cohort - so it probably won't make a difference to you but at least you were warned!!!
Original post by jenren22
Good luck to those starting their PGCE this month. Just finished mine and it was the most tiring and stressful yet rewarding year of my life. You will learn a lot about yourself this year, including things you never thought you'd be able to do (like teach).

Biggest advice I can give is always smile - kids are quite forgiving if things go wrong and not to plan. I found just smiling and 'going with it' got me through sticky spots on placement.

ps. start earlier on your assignments. Most people don't and then give this advice for the next cohort - so it probably won't make a difference to you but at least you were warned!!!

Thank you for the advice! I start on Monday and I'm so nervous, can't believe we're only at uni for 4 weeks before we start placement!

Good luck to the new cohort of PGCE students! It was an amazing year with both ups and downs.

My advice is:

-Keep going, even if you think you can't do it, you wouldn't be on the course if you couldn't!
-Don't take criticism to heart, it's only given to make you a better teacher, use it!
-Get the QTS skills tests out the way before Christmas, I had mine all done at the beginning of November and didn't look back!
-If something goes well, evidence it and build up a portfolio to show at interviews, photos, observations, positive comments from children/staff ect.
-Enjoy it! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending