The Student Room Group

What happens if you don't like the university or the university course?

I'm just thinking of what would happen in the event of not enjoying the course or the university itself.

Like, say after a week you decided you wanted to leave..what would happen in regards to student finance/tuition fees already been paid/accommodation fees?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
You have to pay back any maintenance you've recieved. Sfe claim back the tuition from the uni if you quit in the first month (i.e you don't use up your tuition loan)
iirc

i'd give it more than one week though... Everyones going to feel a bit weird and homesick at first.
Original post by xtinalouise
I'm just thinking of what would happen in the event of not enjoying the course or the university itself.

Like, say after a week you decided you wanted to leave..what would happen in regards to student finance/tuition fees already been paid/accommodation fees?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

you do have to pay the money back. And one of your 4 years worth of tuition fees funding by SFE is used up. That is unless they accept a medical reason response from you.

I would ask the uni to swap you onto another course or try and finish the year. try and get the uni to transfer you to another university and/or course
Reply 3
Original post by TheSophist
you do have to pay the money back. And one of your 4 years worth of tuition fees funding by SFE is used up. That is unless they accept a medical reason response from you.

Eh what? My tuition fee loan is payed in 3 instalments, the first of which is payed exactly one month into my course. You'd think that the first reply would be correct in that case...
Original post by Bromine
Eh what? My tuition fee loan is payed in 3 instalments, the first of which is payed exactly one month into my course. You'd think that the first reply would be correct in that case...

Tutition fee funding is not based on whether the money has been paid or by whom but on the number of 'years' you have been considered to be at university. If you enroll then you are considered to have been that year. Also, even if you pay your fees yourself that counts as a year for funding terms.

To correct an earlier poster: it isn't strict four years funding. It's the normal length of your current course + 1 - any years you have already had (which leads to a total of 4 years for people on most courses). This is excluding any years which you dropped out of or failed due to extenuating circumstances (personal/family illness, death of family member/close friend, pregnancy etc.)
Reply 5
Original post by SmallTownGirl
If you enroll then you are considered to have been that year.

Wow, that sucks :redface: :tongue:

EDIT: Suppose it stops everyone from taking advantage though, dropping out early and leaving tonnes of unfilled spaces.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bromine

Sorry I was talking about maintenance loan and grant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending