The Student Room Group

Why is midwifery so competitive?

I thought they actually wanted more midwives?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LOUDLOUD
I thought they actually wanted more midwives?

hmmm thats true, but they dnt wna take on jus anybody
there are more pre-registration places than there were, part of the problem is that people with Nurse registration as well are dropping out of midwifery for less stressful Nursing roles ...

also you cannot just randomly increase the number of pre-reg places because of the requirements for placements

and M.AKh once again ... English ? , maggot farmer, Do you speak it ?
Reply 3
Original post by zippyRN
there are more pre-registration places than there were, part of the problem is that people with Nurse registration as well are dropping out of midwifery for less stressful Nursing roles ...

also you cannot just randomly increase the number of pre-reg places because of the requirements for placements

and M.AKh once again ... English ? , maggot farmer, Do you speak it ?

lool sometimes
but could you explain what you mean?
midwifery is so stressful people are dropping out from it? But how does that increase competition?
Original post by M.AKH
lool sometimes
but could you explain what you mean?
midwifery is so stressful people are dropping out from it? But how does that increase competition?

People are dreaming of the beautiful idea of 'bringing a child into the world' and when they get to their training the reality of the job isn't what they wanted.. There are high attrition rates so they need to carefully select those they think will complete the course that's why it's so hard - e.g those with more direct experience will have a better chance because they know what it entails. :}
Reply 5
Original post by charlottehattonx
People are dreaming of the beautiful idea of 'bringing a child into the world' and when they get to their training the reality of the job isn't what they wanted.. There are high attrition rates so they need to carefully select those they think will complete the course that's why it's so hard - e.g those with more direct experience will have a better chance because they know what it entails. :}

ohhh okay that makes much more sense, thank you :smile:
But honestly whats so bad about midwifery- it looks great to me :wink:
We might need more of them (one of the reasons why extra people are applying as they think it'll mean getting a job easier), but there's only a certain amount of uni places.
Reply 7
Original post by Clare~Bear
We might need more of them (one of the reasons why extra people are applying as they think it'll mean getting a job easier), but there's only a certain amount of uni places.

yeah thats true, but cant believe people would drop out from such a good job
Original post by M.AKH
yeah thats true, but cant believe people would drop out from such a good job

I know.

Like I said, it's all about supply and demand. There are way less course places than applicants. The opposite is true about uncompetitive courses.

But the problem is, that there isn't usually the right amount of jobs for the amount of graduates. :sigh:
Reply 9
I know.

Like I said, it's all about supply and demand. There are way less course places than applicants. The opposite is true about uncompetitive courses.

But the problem is, that there isn't usually the right amount of jobs for the amount of graduates. :sigh:

tell me about it, its quite sad really
Are you thinking about going into midwifery too?
credit crunch so people are trying to get into public sector jobs because they'll always be there.

Also, with fees at 9000, a free course funded by the NHS isn't looking too shabby.
Reply 11
Original post by asdfghjklEllie
credit crunch so people are trying to get into public sector jobs because they'll always be there.

Also, with fees at 9000, a free course funded by the NHS isn't looking too shabby.

You can say that again :P
NHS funded programmes are becoming much more popular
Original post by M.AKH
tell me about it, its quite sad really
Are you thinking about going into midwifery too?

No, a couple of my friends are. One has a conditional uni place and another is applying for 2013.
Reply 13
No, a couple of my friends are. One has a conditional uni place and another is applying for 2013.

oh ok
what subjects do they do, and what unis are they planning on applying/going to??
Reply 14
My sister applied a few years ago, the problem was parlty due to very little places as there needs to be a small tutors to students ratio
Reply 15
Original post by moorbre
My sister applied a few years ago, the problem was parlty due to very little places as there needs to be a small tutors to students ratio

did she get in? and what subjects was she studying at alevel? and what university did she apply for is you dont mind me asking
Reply 16
Original post by M.AKH
did she get in? and what subjects was she studying at alevel? and what university did she apply for is you dont mind me asking

yes she did.....oxford brookes, she took human biology, psychology and socialogy
she got ABB.... She didn't enjoy the course so she changed to biology after her first year...but that's not relevant :P
she also applied to 4 other unis, can't remember which....but only got one offer...
We believe that the unis talk to each other for midwifery as most people only got one offer, this is because they need to be sure how many students will get through onto the course, as the tutoring is one to one, hence the competitiveness
Reply 17
Original post by M.AKH

Hang on been told she applied for...
Oxford Brookes....southampton.....cardiff.......swansea.......last one not sure
she had interviews at each
this was 4 years ago
Reply 18
Original post by M.AKH

this was 4 years ago

She also did some work experience at her local hospital and at a care home, you need these sorta things to get in its very important, so I recommend getting some work experience
Reply 19
Original post by moorbre
this was 4 years ago

She also did some work experience at her local hospital and at a care home, you need these sorta things to get in its very important, so I recommend getting some work experience

really? most people only get one offer?
and what didnt she like about the course if you dont mind me asking? Was it midwifery as a whole?
Yeah, Iv been considering various work experience placements, but have to get confirmation first

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending