The Student Room Group

What can I do to show interest in Russian?

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

learn as much about Russia as possible.

A Russian pen-pal, although if you've never learnt it, it'll all have to be in English.

Watch any documentaries about Russia (although they'll probably be biased against it).

Get to know the geography and regional variations in culture and traditions - it's a long country remember, it starts by the Nordic countries, but ends at the east coast of Asia.

Perhaps watch Russian films with English subtitles. You might not learn much Russian that way, but it's probably a good way to learn the accent.

:smile: good luck
(edited 11 years ago)
In my interview at UCL I was asked about books I had read, so get cracking on some Tolstoy and Dostoevsky for sure. Apart from that just try and pick up as much of the culture as you can - watch films with subtitles, make Russian friends, etc. Is there any way you could travel to Russia over your gap year? Also learning the language NOW will make it so much easier when you get into uni, trust me!
I've been through the whole process and love all things Russian (I'm in Moscow all this Summer actually), so get in contact and I'll be happy to give you advice!
Reply 3
Original post by Bella_trixxx
In my interview at UCL I was asked about books I had read, so get cracking on some Tolstoy and Dostoevsky for sure. Apart from that just try and pick up as much of the culture as you can - watch films with subtitles, make Russian friends, etc. Is there any way you could travel to Russia over your gap year? Also learning the language NOW will make it so much easier when you get into uni, trust me!
I've been through the whole process and love all things Russian (I'm in Moscow all this Summer actually), so get in contact and I'll be happy to give you advice!

And how long have you been at Moscow?
I suppose you have seen there everything, and already travel around. Aren't you? :smile:
Original post by Paul PTS
And how long have you been at Moscow?
I suppose you have seen there everything, and already travel around. Aren't you? :smile:

Oh hey, haven't seen you in a while!
I've been here since the end of May, so almost two months now.
Reply 5
Oh hey, haven't seen you in a while!
I've been here since the end of May, so almost two months now.

I'm sure you already have been to Lavra. :smile: Aren't you? :confused: :colone:
Original post by russssia
What are you doing at UCL?

I'm trying to get onto a language course in Russia but it's verrry expensive. If that doesn't work out what do you suggest I do in Russia instead?

How are you finding Russian? Is it hard?

I'm at St Andrews (IR and Russian), not UCL, but I applied to UCL 4 years ago and they were the only uni who gave me an interview, so I remember they asked about books :smile:
Language courses are expensive, but worth it if you can afford it. If not the only thing you can do is just go around and be a tourist, I suppose- there are some beautiful sights to see, and you'll still pick up lots about the culture!
Russian's hard at first, but when you get used to it it becomes quite a logical language - for me, anyway :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Привет! :smile:
Learn the basics, not to mention the cyrillic alphabet, of course, which is not hard at all :smile:
Watching films is a good idea. Actually, all of the non-Russian movies get dubbed to be shown at cinemas so as you progress you could watch a movie you already know in Russian - that would perhaps ease the understanding.
Russian is an awesome language and definitely the most beautiful one for me, hehe
I'm sure you already have been to Lavra. :smile: Aren't you? :confused: :colone:

Эта лавра рядом с тобой, в Сергиеве Посаде? Нет, проехала мимо города в автобусе но там не была. Почему, Ты приглашаешь меня?
Reply 9
Эта лавра рядом с тобой, в Сергиеве Посаде? Нет, проехала мимо города в автобусе но там не была. Почему, Ты приглашаешь меня?

Я думаю я найду время прогуляться с тобой по городу. :smile:
Read about the History is probably the best place to start, and read the literature.

I also suggest you watch some Russian films (subtitled of course) as it really helps to get a feel for how the language sounds. I suggest Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible as good places to start.

I've also really got into Russian classical music as well, I love Shostakovitch and Prokofiev, Stravinsky and Mussorgsky. Also Rimsky-Korsakov.

Oh and some Russian poetry as well will serve you well. Pushkin (of course) and I love Anna Akhmatova.
Я думаю я найду время прогуляться с тобой по городу. :smile:

Ах, мне будет некогда, работаю 40 часов в неделю и в выходние у меня уже есть билеты ехать в Владимир и в Суздал, так что у меня не одного свободного дня до выъезда. Но меня сказали что у тебя есть очень красивый город, и я хотела бы его увидеть когда-нибудь!
Reply 12
Ах, мне будет некогда, работаю 40 часов в неделю и в выходние у меня уже есть билеты ехать в Владимир и в Суздал, так что у меня не одного свободного дня до выъезда. Но меня сказали что у тебя есть очень красивый город, и я хотела бы его увидеть когда-нибудь!

Ты же вроде бы приехала на всё лето. Так что может быть время мы с тобою ещё найдём. :smile:
Reply 13
I'd like to do Russian at university, I've never learnt it before and was wondering if you have any ideas for what I could do to show my interest in it (for the personal statement). I'm taking a gap year so I'll try to teach myself some over the year, and I'll read up on Russian history. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Read up on Russian literature, too. It's blindingly obvious, but visit the country as well, if you can. It can be quite time-consuming to get a visa to visit Russia, as I myself know having visited Moscow and St. Petersburg (February 2009), but it's well worth it! Moscow is, well, an acquired taste, as it were, but St. Petersburg really is a magical city with some absolutely glorious architecture and a long, proud history.

There might be cultural events in the U.K. that you could attend/get involved with, too. Anything that will bolster your UCAS personal statement will also, of course, look very admirable and interesting on your C.V., so it's worth doing extensive research to see what different things you could get involved in.

Maybe think about doing a Summer School in Russian at a university somewhere?
Sorry for distracting from the point of the thread up there^

Where in the UK are you? I only know about Scotland, but the Scotland-Russia Forum in Edinburgh is quite a cool place to visit... there will likely be equivalent organisations dedicated to Russia in other cities, have a look for stuff in your local area :smile:
Reply 15
For me, another helpful thing in learning languages in general, is watching youtubers talking. Those guys are awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoHMUWBwCMM
Reply 16
Reading Russian lit in translation (:sogood:), listening to Russian music, learning about Russian history/politics/religion/customs (Russian folk art and fairy tales = :sexface:), watching Russian films, learning the basics of the language... :smile:
Reply 17
I have this book

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Stories-Dual-Language-English-Edition/dp/0486262448

It's good, some of the stories are funny.
Yorkshire. Can you explain what the forum is exactly?

I've just ordered some Dostoevsky and Tolstoy, and am downloading some movies :smile:

Hm maybe I should attend the local Russian Orthodox Church instead of my current one?

This is it http://www.scotlandrussiaforum.org/ :smile: It offers language classes, a Russian library, art galleries and exhibitions and stuff relating to Russia. I'm not sure if there's anything similar near you though, it might be worth a google :smile:
If the Orthodox sermons are in Russian I'm not sure how much you would get out of it, and in some churches they stand for the whole period, so 2-3 hours, which wouldn't be fun. Maybe go once for the experience though and see if you like it! Remember women should wear a headscarf :smile:
Reply 19

Hm maybe I should attend the local Russian Orthodox Church instead of my current one?

Before to go there you may watch this Russian Orthodox Church cartoon (the film starts in the center of my town - at that time forest monastery, saint oldman in the film is the founder of my town) . At 2014 we'll celebrate 700 years of our Saint Sergiy, the founder of the town.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1u5SDAGmz8
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending