The Student Room Group

How to deal with greasy hair

Hi I was just wondering if there is any tips to prevent my hair from getting greasy so quickly.

I wash my hair in the morning and by the evening my fringe is really greasy and horrible to look at and my whole scalp feels itchy as though it needs a wash. By the next morning it looks like I've dipped my head in olive oil. I've never met anyone else who has quite as greasy hair as I do.

I tried not washing my hair every day for about month, doing it every 2/3 days but it didn't help, my hair just got really, really greasy.

Does anyone know if there are any products which stop your scalp from producing so much grease? I have tried using clarifying shampoo, this didn't work. Others have thought it may be my diet but my diet is pretty healthy without much fatty foods.

Any help?
Reply 1
my friend says dry shampoo saved her life, I don't think it's too expensive, so worth a shot!

Also if you're a teen, it's probably a phase, so don't worry too much.
Original post by Frey
my friend says dry shampoo saved her life, I don't think it's too expensive, so worth a shot!

Also if you're a teen, it's probably a phase, so don't worry too much.

Thanks :smile: Yeah I've used it before but only for like camping or if I'm staying somewhere with no showers. I guess its worth a shot!

Yeah I'm 18 and my hairs been like this since I was about 14. If its just a phase hopfully I'll outgrow it soon :/
Do you shampoo twice when you wash your hair?

I used not to and when I did it made a huge amount of difference.
Reply 4
Following this! I'm exactly the same & even tried growing my fringe out thinking I had a sweaty face but it didn't help at all :frown: I'm 20 and have been the same since I was about 13
Reply 5
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
Hi I was just wondering if there is any tips to prevent my hair from getting greasy so quickly.

I wash my hair in the morning and by the evening my fringe is really greasy and horrible to look at and my whole scalp feels itchy as though it needs a wash. By the next morning it looks like I've dipped my head in olive oil. I've never met anyone else who has quite as greasy hair as I do.

I tried not washing my hair every day for about month, doing it every 2/3 days but it didn't help, my hair just got really, really greasy.

Does anyone know if there are any products which stop your scalp from producing so much grease? I have tried using clarifying shampoo, this didn't work. Others have thought it may be my diet but my diet is pretty healthy without much fatty foods.

Any help?

One idea is to not have a fringe, they always get greasy quickly and can make the skin on your forehead greasy and spotty too. I grew mine out - best thing I ever did.

Also as others have said, dry shampoo will save your life.

If you use conditioner, stop - shampoo twice and make sure you wash it all out. For some people this would make their hair dry but you should be fine. Also buy shampoo for greasy hair

Another option would be the doctor's I guess, you never know, they might be able to sort you out with something
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by abc:)
One idea is to not have a fringe, they always get greasy quickly and can make the skin on your forehead greasy and spotty too. I grew mine out - best thing I ever did.

Also as others have said, dry shampoo will save your life.

If you use conditioner, stop - shampoo twice and make sure you wash it all out. For some people this would make their hair dry but you should be fine. Also buy shampoo for greasy hair

Another option would be the doctor's I guess, you never know, they might be able to sort you out with something

Yeah I used to condition it but I've stopped now. Washing it twice could be an idea I guess. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Im 18 and my hair gets greasy quickly too, it sucks! But washing it everyday can in fact make it go greasy quicker.
What I do, is shampoo as usual (I use Alberto Balsam, Juicy Apple for greasy hair - smells fab and is only about £1 from shops such as home bargains!) and then instead of conditioning my full head of hair, I only condition the ends of my hair, probably the last 2/3 inches as to not over oil the roots.
Also, dry shampoo is AMAZING! I use it in between washes - I wash my hair every two days so every other day I dry shampoo, makes it look freshly washed.
Just don't use too much as it can make your hair look grey haha! And make sure you rub it in then brush it out :smile: - again, I use Batiste dry shampoo, it can be about £3+ in shops such as Superdrug, or it's £1.49 in home bargains :biggrin:
Good luck :smile: x
Reply 8
Lush ultimate shine shampoo is great - does not leave any residue at all.
Reply 9
- Dry shampoo is a life saver!
- As mentioned above, don't condition your hair. Just shampoo it twice, towel-dry it and then apply a tiny bit of conditioner on the very ends.
- Look for shampoos which claim to "balance" the oils in your hair, I think Revlon do a Sebum (that is what causes the greasiness) Balance product range, a bit pricey but worth looking into.
- Lemon shampoo is supposed to work wonders on greasy hair - the slight acidity dries out the hair enough to prevent it from looking greas (not enough to damage it though, don't worry).
- I used to use a product from Avon called Oxygenating Mousse, it was really, really good. Very light product which prevented hair from getting greasy too quickly.
- Sounds like very obvious advice, but it's worth mentioning that you need to ensure you have a good diet and exercise regime as without that then your hair will suffer. As mentioned above, having a fringe/hair in your face can contribute to greasy hair, not only because of the sweat/products (makeup/cream) that gets into your hair, but also by the fact that you are more likely to fiddle with your hair (flick it out of your face, play with it, etc) and unknowingly make it greasier.

Hope this helps.
:smile:
I totally understand you! My hair used to be SUPER greasy and it was horrible! I tried not washing it for a day bit it felt GROSS! xD

Check that your shampoo isn't a Shampoo- CONDITIONER. These don't really wash your hair and instead just coat it, EW :biggrin:
Dry shampoo is a lifesaver!
Try not to use conditioner :smile:
- Grow out your fringe, it will make it greasy as between your fringe and your forehead gets hot and humid therefore gets greasy and rubs on your hair.
- Try not to touch your hair through the day
- only put conditioner on the lower third of your hair

Unfortunately, your homeones will be playing a big part in all of this, which is something you can't help.
Wash it every other day with shampoo fo greasy hair, avoid using conditioner (once a week should be enough), and avoid touching your hair. Dry shampoo is also a Godsend :smile:
Oh an when it gets warmer, you might want to wear it off your face to avoid getting your hair all sweaty lol :smile:
Invest in a hat? :dontknow:

I have so many hats for those days when I just cba to shower. :tongue:
Try rotating the shampoos you use on a daily basis, i.e. buy 3 different bottles and use A on Monday, B on Tuesday, C on Wednesday, A on Thursday etc...

I know it sounds silly but it worked for me when I was a teenager and had the same problem. I hit on the idea when I noticed that when I went to the hairdressers or stayed with someone else and used their (different) shampoo that my hair was temporarily less greasy.
It's a teen phase. Dry shampoo helps, but never never stop washing your hair regularly despite what silly rumours you may hear online.
Original post by ageshallnot
Try rotating the shampoos you use on a daily basis, i.e. buy 3 different bottles and use A on Monday, B on Tuesday, C on Wednesday, A on Thursday etc...

I know it sounds silly but it worked for me when I was a teenager and had the same problem. I hit on the idea when I noticed that when I went to the hairdressers or stayed with someone else and used their (different) shampoo that my hair was temporarily less greasy.

This is actually really, really, really good advice. I find that there are very few shampoo's that I can use continually for more than a week or two before my hair basically hates me and goes greasy in about 12hrs. So really, trying a new shampoo and alternating can do wonders. Personally I quite like the loreal pearl protein + citrus one.
Original post by rainbowbex
This is actually really, really, really good advice. I find that there are very few shampoo's that I can use continually for more than a week or two before my hair basically hates me and goes greasy in about 12hrs. So really, trying a new shampoo and alternating can do wonders. Personally I quite like the loreal pearl protein + citrus one.

You're the only other person I know who has tried this! So far, a 100% success rate!!! :smile:
I agree about using different shampoos - it makes a huge difference!

My hairdresser advised me to stay away from shampoos for greasy hair, however odd that might sound! He told me to wash with the gentlest shampoos available, as the products for greasy hair aggressively dry out your scalp, which causes it to produce more sebum as a reaction.

I don't know what kind of effect it has on different people, but this approach works wonders for me. I wash my hair every day, but if I don't (because I'm ill or I just can't find the time) my hair looks perfectly clean for at least another day.
Reply 19
I didn't shampoo my hair for 4 days (i still went in the shower, just not use the shampoo) and my hair didn't go greasy throughout the day, untill the next morning, with my greasy bed head, so now I only shampoo my hair every 2-3 days, keeps the grease away :smile:

- so if you're currently shampooing it everyday, then don't and also try different shampoo's, I used a 'for greasy' hair shampoo, and it was utter crap, then tried head and shoulders normal and dove, and my hair is alot healthier/non-greasy
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest