The Student Room Group

M2 Projectiles

I'm given the equation x2tan2θ2axtanθ+(x22ab)=0x^2\tan^2 \theta - 2ax\tan \theta + (x^2 - 2ab) = 0.
From this I'm meant to show that the maximum value of xx as θ \theta varies is a(a+2b)\sqrt {a(a+2b)} and that this is achieved when tanθ=aa+2b \tan \theta = \sqrt {\frac {a}{a+2b}} .

I get that the maximum value of x x occurse when θ=45 \theta = 45 , giving me the quadratic equation x2axab=0x^2 - ax - ab = 0 . Solving this quadratic gives me 2x=a±a(a+4b) 2x = a \pm \sqrt {a(a+4b)} , which kinda looks like what I'm aiming for, but it isn't quite right. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing?

Thanks for any help.

ETA: This isn't the full question - the first part is where the projectiles element is, and all it asks is to derive the first equation given above (which wasn't a problem).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
For the first bit, there may be better ways, but you can differentiate the expression w.r.t theta. Then as dx/dtheta = 0 at max, 3 of the terms go away, leaving a nice tan theta = a/x.

Now sub this tan theta back into the original expression to get what you need.

Then for the next bit, sub this value of x back into the tan theta = a/x bit (found earlier) and you're there.

Bric
Reply 2
Original post by Bric
For the first bit, there may be better ways, but you can differentiate the expression w.r.t theta. Then as dx/dtheta = 0 at max, 3 of the terms go away, leaving a nice tan theta = a/x.

Then for the next bit, sub this value of x back into the tan theta = a/x bit (found earlier) and you're there.

Bric

You can get the tan = a/x by completing the square
Reply 3
Original post by Bric

Bric

Thanks, seems I'll have to complete C3 and C4 before tackling questions like this.
Reply 4
Original post by Julii92
Thanks, seems I'll have to complete C3 and C4 before tackling questions like this.

On the spec, it says prior knowledge is C1/C2/C3/M1
I tried M2 but gave up after I saw trig identities.
Reply 5
Original post by Jammy4410
On the spec, it says prior knowledge is C1/C2/C3/M1
I tried M2 but gave up after I saw trig identities.

I think it says C4 aswell - for OCR in any case.

Quick Reply

Latest