The Student Room Group

Quitting uni, do I need to pay student loan back?

Ok so I have just finished my first year, I should be starting 2nd year in September,
If I quit in early October, the SFE would have paid my uni for the student loan.

Will I need to pay all this loan back, when I quit?
Reply 1
Original post by blank_smile
Ok so I have just finished my first year, I should be starting 2nd year in September,
If I quit in early October, the SFE would have paid my uni for the student loan.

Will I need to pay all this loan back, when I quit?

Yep, I quit in December of my first year and I've had to start paying it back straight away (even though I'm currently unemployed). They basically sent me a letter saying I had to pay it all back straight away, and so I rang and we worked out an amount that I can pay each month.
I have found that the student loan folk are not too aggressive about collection compared to council tax for example.

I only pay money back when I earn over a certain amount.

I'm surprised to hear about you having to pay money back when you only have unemployment benefit as income.

I would speak to the student finance people directly.
Yes of course you do. How come you didnt quit before October as you may have to pay that back too. Not sure how soon they want this though.
Reply 4
Original post by Scumbaggio
I have found that the student loan folk are not too aggressive about collection compared to council tax for example.

I only pay money back when I earn over a certain amount.

I'm surprised to hear about you having to pay money back when you only have unemployment benefit as income.

I would speak to the student finance people directly.

They weren't aggressive with it but it was a bit like I didn't complete my end of the bargain (by completing uni) so they don't keep theirs. It's not that bad, when we discussed it I explained that I am unemployed and that I would be going to a different uni in the following year so I'm paying back £20 a month at the mo (£10 for maintenance and £10 for tuition fees). I can make one off payments on top of that as well if I want, if I can afford to at that particular time. They've been really good with it though and I didn't mean to make it sound like they were aggressive in my previous post :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending