The Student Room Group

Finding muscular men attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ct2k7
You do know that this happens in most marriages right?

No, it doesn't. Maybe in the UK, but I'm not going to get fat when I get married so why should wifey?
Original post by Derrick1509
Yeah, I did a four day split for some time

Monday:Back/triceps
Tuesday: Shoulders
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: legs
Friday: chest/ biceps

Weekends rest.
It was quite decent actually cause its' like working some bodyparts twice a week, e.g. biceps.

4 days seems a lot more realistic and least likely to cause issues; it's what I do at the mo.
Original post by LeaX
Yeah but they're not very prominent. I was talking about something like this:
49fcecb61249c.jpg

Again, you get them without even working out. Working out does nothing to vascularity other than makes you lose fat (and thus veins are more visible). It doesn't make veins bulge or pop, not permanently anyway. Temporarily to increase blood flow to worked areas, but that happens when anyone exercises, and it depletes within half an hour.

Your standards are ridiculous.
Original post by Yung Mon£y

It's not a case that somethings wrong with it, but if you could pick any body in the world it's settling for pretty average.
Oh don't be like that :rolleyes: You're not even 18, you will change in your personality a lot over the next few years and so will probably your taste. Just sayin'

Ah, but there's the point. I do not base how attractive a man is on their figure. That would be seriously hypocritical of me. Also, I wouldn't consider it settling for anything.

Yes, I probably will. But if I suddenly start putting a lot more store on how muscular a guy is as a result of getting older then I'd rather be immature, thanks.
Original post by RachelSophia
Glad i'm not the only one!
i don't mind huge arms and strong legs haha, but i don't buy into the six packs or body building.

My friends are always like 'omg he has a six pack he's so hot' and i'm like meh. I wouldn't swoon. I much prefer the chubbier kind with facial hair haha

Guys with six packs actually have something much more important. Defined masculine faces. Due to low body fat. And fat on a man's face, is a universal turn off for women.

Ever noticed how male models invariably have a defined jaw line.....
Reply 224
Original post by Classical Liberal
Guys with six packs actually have something much more important. Defined masculine faces.

Low body fat % and higher testosterone

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
A few men doesn't equal all men, plus as I've asked another user, how would you describe the state of your own body?

When did I generalise to all men? I said that if a man would rather spend everyday in the gym than set aside like 2-ish days to see his girlfriend (and 2-ish to see his friends) each week then I don't want to be his girlfriend. And I say that because I've met men like that and didn't like them men. It's more a personality thing.
But we judge people on looks so often if he looks like he's one of those guys then I'll not put as much effort into perusing him even if I do find him attractive (and if I hear him boasting about it it's an instant turn off), as the muscles aren't a clincher for me and I'd rather have a skinny guy who'll spend 2 days watching films with me or something.

I'd describe my body as being completely irrelevant to this discussion.
Original post by Aisha~~
Again, you get them without even working out. Working out does nothing to vascularity other than makes you lose fat (and thus veins are more visible). It doesn't make veins bulge or pop, not permanently anyway. Temporarily to increase blood flow to worked areas, but that happens when anyone exercises, and it depletes within half an hour.

Your standards are ridiculous.

Oh okay then I apologise. Seems I have been misinformed by a guy I know who is apparently a certified trainer haha. I was told that if you work out loads you're more likely to get those really prominent veins and as I hate veins this tinted my view of muscular guys. I wouldn't say my standards are 'ridiculous' it's just that veins make me squeamish similar to how some people dislike blood, needles, etc. This is just my personal opinion though and I know that plenty of girls find veins attractive.
Original post by ct2k7
Low body fat % and higher testosterone

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

High testosterone is a product of growth hormone though? Which is produce when you do heavy lifts.....

But yeah, when was the last time a girl said "ohhhh I find his testosterone levels so attractive". Never. But the reality is that they are attracted to high levels of testosterone, they just do not understand or realise it.

The best male physiques (in all respects) in my opinion are fighters and gymnasts. Followed by male underwear models, who are probably not very functional.

And I think that said physiques are also the most attractive, to all sexes. Regardless of what any girl says they like. Because all too often they do not have a bloody clue.
Reply 228
Muscles need 48 hours rest after they have been trained, otherwise your results will be slower then someone who adequately rests.
For example if I worked out biceps 5 days a week, my gains would be slower then someone who worked them out every other day.

I dont train the same body part 5 days a week
I do; chest and tri's +cardio
core + cardio
cardio
back and bi's + cardio
core + cardio
cardio
legs and shoulders + cardio
Reply 229
No, it doesn't. Maybe in the UK, but I'm not going to get fat when I get married so why should wifey?

yes you should :biggrin:
Reply 230
High testosterone is a product of growth hormone though? Which is produce when you do heavy lifts.....

But yeah, when was the last time a girl said "ohhhh I find his testosterone levels so attractive". Never. But the reality is that they are attracted to high levels of testosterone, they just do not understand or realise it.

The best male physiques (in all respects) in my opinion are fighters and gymnasts. Followed by male underwear models, who are probably not very functional.

And I think that said physiques are also the most attractive, to all sexes. Regardless of what any girl says they like. Because all too often they do not have a bloody clue.

Yes and no. It's down to genetics mainly, but there will be some testosterone increase. It's just that those who look after their muscles generally hhave a higher level of testosterone in their system. But women go after manly men, and that usually = testosterone levels. True, they don't understand or realise it.

I'd agree with your assessment about best male physiques because I used to do a lot of gymnastics (easier at my height), but I've been doing a lot more collegiate wrestling, and I'm kind of stocky but muscly stocky, and quite husky as well.
Guys with six packs actually have something much more important. Defined masculine faces. Due to low body fat. And fat on a man's face, is a universal turn off for women.

Can't you have a low body fat % and not a six pack
I just dont like them. Not really fussed about jaw lines haha
Ahh well there's someone for everyone
Reply 232

You can, but then you look skinny fat, but you will have some abs showing.
(edited 11 years ago)

No not really. Unless they're super skinny and thus have very little muscle mass in the abs in the first place. Anyone normal sized will have 6 packs showing below 12% body fat. 17% is about average with 20%+ being overweight.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Ah, but there's the point. I do not base how attractive a man is on their figure. That would be seriously hypocritical of me. Also, I wouldn't consider it settling for anything.

Yes, I probably will. But if I suddenly start putting a lot more store on how muscular a guy is as a result of getting older then I'd rather be immature, thanks.

Why don't you consider their body when considering how attractive they are? Is thier body not a part of them? Why would it be hypocritical of you?

It's not settling because...?

You'd rather be immature then understand that a person can reflect certain traits in their appearance. Why?
Original post by ct2k7
yes you should :biggrin:

Should what? That sentence doesn't make sense lol

Original post by minimarshmallow
When did I generalise to all men? I said that if a man would rather spend everyday in the gym than set aside like 2-ish days to see his girlfriend (and 2-ish to see his friends) each week then I don't want to be his girlfriend. And I say that because I've met men like that and didn't like them men. It's more a personality thing.
But we judge people on looks so often if he looks like he's one of those guys then I'll not put as much effort into perusing him even if I do find him attractive (and if I hear him boasting about it it's an instant turn off), as the muscles aren't a clincher for me and I'd rather have a skinny guy who'll spend 2 days watching films with me or something.

I'd describe my body as being completely irrelevant to this discussion.

:facepalm:
You do realise you can go to the gym and see friends before or after?

Your body is entirely relevant to this discussion. Most people in a bad shape say they do not find people in a good shape attractive in an effort to comfort themselves from the reality that those in a good shape would not want someone in a bad shape.
Reply 236
Should what? That sentence doesn't make sense lol

Yes, you should marry her.

Are you seriously going to tell your future wife not to get fat?
I don't think you either have a six pack or you're fat/skinny but you all sound like you know what you're talking about haha

This is 100 times hotter:
chris_bolton_wax_before_353_353x470.jpg

Than every one of these:
6 pack abs - 2.jpg

Who wants a guy who looks like he's been photoshoped?
Original post by Arva
I'm sorry, but having big guns is more of a 'try hard' indicator than a six pack. Everyone has abdominal muscles that will look relatively defined if they're in good shape with a fairly low bodyfat percentage, but the guys with huge guns work out loads to get them.

I'd have thought being in general good health and pretty athletic would be a better turn on than having big guns and nothing else (meaning that they spend time in the gym purely working on their arms, probably for the sake of impressing someone).

Having big guns is actual muscle mass, rather than just toned muscles as a six-pack can be. And yeah sure guns might be to impress, but a six-pack is definitely to impress. You can be really fit and not have a very noticeable six-pack.

I was thinking more of sportsmen if I'm being honest. Guys who are pretty athletic and have muscle mass and do work out yes but because they need to be fit. And not all fit people have a very low bodyfat percentage.
Reply 239
Original post by desdemonata
Having big guns is actual muscle mass, rather than just toned muscles as a six-pack can be. And yeah sure guns might be to impress, but a six-pack is definitely to impress. You can be really fit and not have a very noticeable six-pack.

I was thinking more of sportsmen if I'm being honest. Guys who are pretty athletic and have muscle mass and do work out yes but because they need to be fit. And not all fit people have a very low bodyfat percentage.

brb swimmers.

Quick Reply

Latest