The Student Room Group

Six women rape man to death

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
It shouldn't be banned, no, as comedy should have no barriers but a bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss.

Common sense - I'm with you on that. Making a joke about a currently oppressed and misunderstood minority that will reinforce misunderstandings (and therefore prejudices) is not cool in my opinion. I can't ban it, and I will stand up in support of their right to say it... But I don't like it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lightburns
Kind of harsh to say that, for if he was actually was raped.

Having said that, I am actually in complete support of your hypocrisy point. Aisha~~ is hurt by rape jokes, but it's hypocritical to want these banned but be fine with all other dark humour. Unless Aisha~~ wants all potentially offensive humour banned, in which case there'd be very little comedy left in existence.

Get rid of dark humour that perpetuates negative stereotypes. That's all I give a **** about. I don't give a **** what this little **** thinks about me, or rape in general. I just know that when people say "what a great way for a guy to die!", it keeps pushing forward generalized ideas about men that aren't necessarily true, and can end up with people getting hurt.

You want to make jokes about *******? Fine. Take it outside of public domain. You want to make jokes about rape? Cool. Keep it to your mothers basement.

Funny how the former is an area not even the comedic genius of Boyle and Carr will breach.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 102
I am literally speechless....how the **** did he manage to satisfy all of them before?
Original post by Aisha~~
You want to make jokes about n.i.g.g.e.r.s?

Do you use this word regularly?

Not doubting anything you said in this thread but this seems a bit odd.
Original post by .eXe
Does this sound like a wounded victim or an unsuccessful troll?

What the hell are you talking about? That's a word that has been used in the past to convey a negative stereotype. Just disappear. You're disgusting.

Original post by Wilfred Little
Do you use this word regularly?

Not doubting anything you said in this thread but this seems a bit odd.

Of course not. You can't hide the fact that such words have been used, and joked about, in the past. It's an example of exactly what I'm talking about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aisha~~
Get rid of dark humour that perpetuates negative stereotypes. That's all I give a **** about. I don't give a **** what this little **** thinks about me, or rape in general. I just know that when people say "what a great way for a guy to die!", it keeps pushing forward generalized ideas about men that aren't necessarily true, and can end up with people getting hurt.
It's unfortunate what happened to you, but that doesn't play a part in the discussion of what's acceptable. Someone will be rightfully offended by a great many things.
There'd be no comedy left if you got rid of it all.

You want to make jokes about n.i.g.g.e.r.s? Fine. Take it outside of public domain. Funny how the former is an area not even the comedic genius of Boyle and Carr will breach.

You're telling this to the wrong person. My physics class was full of black jokes. Mainly told by the Caribbean guy.

You want to make jokes about rape? Cool. Keep it to your mothers basement.

Dude. Everything you have said has just been shown to be bs. Well done. You have just made a joke suggesting that I am living in my mother's basement. I am not living in my mother's basement. Do you know why? My mother could not cope with my queerness, so when I got bad A levels (ABC), she kicked me out of home.
She told me when I was younger that she wished there was a way that she could not be my mother. How am I supposed to keep it in my mother's basement, hmm?

At least the jokes on the front page were generalised, not directed at anyone specifically. If you can make jokes, then so can they. You have proved the point of hypocrisy.
Dude. Everything you have said has just been shown to be bs. Well done. You have just made a joke suggesting that I am living in my mother's basement. I am not living in my mother's basement. Do you know why? My mother could not cope with my queerness, so when I got bad A levels (ABC), she kicked me out of home.
She told me when I was younger that she wished there was a way that she could not be my mother. How am I supposed to keep it in my mother's basement, hmm?

At least the jokes on the front page were generalised, not directed at anyone specifically. If you can make jokes, then so can they. You have proved the point of hypocrisy.

I haven't seen you making rape jokes ITT so I'm unsure how you managed to link that comment to yourself.
Original post by Aisha~~
I haven't seen you making rape jokes ITT so I'm unsure how you managed to link that comment to yourself.

You quoted me at the top, so I assumed you were replying to me.

Even if this were not the case, you have just made a joke about keeping things in mother's basements. If you want all humour which could cause offence to be censored you cannot make these jokes yourself.

This is why that argument is nonsensical. Censorship is wrong. Period. Every joke applies negatively to someone.
(edited 11 years ago)
You quoted me at the top, so I assumed you were replying to me.

Even if this were not the case, you have just made a joke about keeping things in mother's basements. If you want all humour which could cause offence to be censored you cannot make these jokes yourself.

This is why that argument is nonsensical. Censorship is wrong. Period.

Mothers basement **** is not likely to cause harm to someone. Jokes about rape/race/gender/sexuality etc, ARE likely to cause harm. From outside sources, especially.

I'm not asking for a ****ing Big Brother state where anything even slightly controversial is outlawed. I'm asking for plain and simple human empathy. You can appreciate especially, that if this were a thread about a chick getting raped, there would be practically no jokes. Because they realise someone actually got hurt, it's not **** to be joking about. But because it's a guy, people don't see it as bad. Even though he ****ing died from it. You think that's a good state for society to be in?
Reply 109
Original post by Aisha~~
Mothers basement **** is not likely to cause harm to someone. Jokes about rape/race/gender/sexuality etc, ARE likely to cause harm. From outside sources, especially.

I'm not asking for a ****ing Big Brother state where anything even slightly controversial is outlawed. I'm asking for plain and simple human empathy. You can appreciate especially, that if this were a thread about a chick getting raped, there would be practically no jokes. Because they realise someone actually got hurt, it's not **** to be joking about. But because it's a guy, people don't see it as bad. Even though he ****ing died from it. You think that's a good state for society to be in?

You said the N word earlier you filthy hypocrite. Don't you think that word can hurt people too? You're so concerned about some random who died from forced sex but you don't seem to care about entire generations of people who were forced into slavery :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're definitely legit.
Original post by .eXe
You said the N word earlier you filthy hypocrite. Don't you think that word can hurt people too? You're so concerned about some random who died from forced sex but you don't seem to care about entire generations of people who were forced into slavery :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're definitely legit.

Good. I'm glad that stirred so much hatred in you. I'll have you offloading that same rage whenever someone mentions the 'death by snu snu' **** very soon.
Reply 111
Original post by Aisha~~
Good. I'm glad that stirred so much hatred in you. I'll have you offloading that same rage whenever someone mentioned the 'death by snu snu' **** very soon.

Lol hatred? You called me disgusting earlier so I was just returning the favour. I have no hatred for insignificant people who lie about being raped on an anonymous forum. You're a disgrace to actual rape victims you hypocrite.

And what's wrong with death by snu snu?

umadbrah?

demotivational-posters-death-by.jpg
Original post by Aisha~~

Do you know how many people have relationship problems with their mothers? Who are you to say that people aren't going to be triggered by the fact that they can't live at their mother's house any more?

Or even, and here's a thought, what about people who actually do live in their mother's basement? Because they've failed to secure a job or a relationship? Seeing as the internet may be their only escape from their failures, I guess you're likely to bump into them without knowing. And how are these people going to react to the standard joke of 'lol typical loner in your mother's basement'? Do you not think that could not be triggering to all their problems that caused them to be there?

Try understanding things from other people's perspectives. Would do you a lot of good.
Do you know how many people have relationship problems with their mothers? Who are you to say that people aren't going to be triggered by the fact that they can't live at their mother's house any more?

Or even, and here's a thought, what about people who actually do live in their mother's basement? Because they've failed to secure a job or a relationship? Seeing as the internet may be their only escape from their failures, I guess you're likely to bump into them without knowing. And how are these people going to react to the standard joke of 'lol typical loner in your mother's basement'? Do you not think that could not be triggering to all their problems that caused them to be there?

Try understanding things from other people's perspectives. Would do you a lot of good.

Absolute freedom of speech does not exist. Will never exist. Socio-cultural pressures will always set the boundaries somewhere in the middle.

You know full well that emotional problems as a result of living in your mothers basement pale in comparison to the effects of rape. Call me a hypocrite, fine. In absolute terms, yes, I'm a hypocrite. Am I causing the same amount of harm? Very unlikely.
Original post by Aisha~~
Absolute freedom of speech does not exist. Will never exist. Socio-cultural pressures will always set the boundaries somewhere in the middle.

You know full well that emotional problems as a result of living in your mothers basement pale in comparison to the effects of rape. Call me a hypocrite, fine. In absolute terms, yes, I'm a hypocrite. Am I causing the same amount of harm? Very unlikely.

And what happens if you find someone that is in the throes of absolute depression due to their life circumstances? It's a potential trigger for their issues, which means that it's a potential trigger for their depression.

My point is that there should be no guilt on your part if that's the trigger that causes them to throw themselves under a bus. A joke is a joke, and we can't protect everybody unless we ban comedy.

This forum has comedy. I'm sure there are some no-comedy forums available for people who want strict discussion only.

Every joke has triggers attached. Every. One.

I cannot believe that you are defending some jokes whilst attacking others under the claim that it's different, because one's more harmful. Surely, under your moral code, no harm from humour would be acceptable. You're a hypocrite.
And what happens if you find someone that is in the throes of absolute depression due to their life circumstances? It's a potential trigger for their issues, which means that it's a potential trigger for their depression.

My point is that there should be no guilt on your part if that's the trigger that causes them to throw themselves under a bus. A joke is a joke, and we can't protect everybody unless we ban comedy.

This forum has comedy. I'm sure there are some no-comedy forums available for people who want strict discussion only.

Every joke has triggers attached. Every. One.

I cannot believe that you are defending some jokes whilst attacking others under the claim that it's different, because one's more harmful. Surely, under your moral code, no harm from humour would be acceptable. You're a hypocrite.

Then you apologize and ask them how they're doing. Everyone makes out-of-place jokes from time to time. But you can minimize the effects. I'm not asking to ban comedy (why do you keep coming up with this? repeated so many times that's not what I want).

At the moment there's a ****load of guys that have experienced sexual assault (not as many as chicks, ofc, but still tons), but are afraid to speak out against it since they won't be taken seriously. The least I can do is try to turn the tide and get the issue recognized as serious. The more people that joke about an issue, the less serious it's taken. That's a fact.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite in your terms. Boo.
Reply 116
Original post by Aisha~~
Then you apologize and ask them how they're doing. Everyone makes out-of-place jokes from time to time. But you can minimize the effects. I'm not asking to ban comedy (why do you keep coming up with this? repeated so many times that's not what I want).

At the moment there's a ****load of guys that have experienced sexual assault (not as many as chicks, ofc, but still tons), but are afraid to speak out against it since they won't be taken seriously. The least I can do is try to turn the tide and get the issue recognized as serious. The more people that joke about an issue, the less serious it's taken. That's a fact.

Nah you're a hypocrite by definition. :slap:
Original post by Aisha~~

I've already said that I am uncomfortable with male rape jokes because it reinforces misunderstandings. However, we can't have a go at making it. Why? The culture of this forum is that the first page is one-liner jokes. And because of an absolute free speech of comedy. You stated earlier that you don't believe this exists, which is why I keep talking about banning and censorship.
It should be expected on the first page. If nothing else, I'm glad it's there because of the fear of censorship creeping into the things I do like. And if other people find it amusing without forming prejudices? Then good for them.

I hate hypocrisy. I, and nobody else, should take you seriously.

Rape is a terrible crime, and male-victim rape is terribly misunderstood in society. Minimising it should be through the serious discussion, not by having a go at jokers. Anyone who forms their views on one-liner jokes is a lost cause anyway.
Reply 119
No idea why this thread devolved into a discussion on free speech - I´m guessing its because of jokes being taken seriously by some PC cry babies?

Also, this:

I hate hypocrisy. I, and nobody else, should take you seriously.

Not by having a go at jokers. Anyone who forms their views on one-liner jokes is a lost cause anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending