The Student Room Group

Finding muscular men attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McHumpy92

The veins in his arms in that first photo are such a turn-off for me :indiff:
Original post by silent ninja
As you suggested, being slim is not synonymous with being fit. The truth is MANY slim people are unfit and should think twice about poking fun at fat people. The media I guess tells us slim = healthy which is a load of bull.

I agree there. The media tells us a lot of things that are bull imo.
Reply 282
Vascular bodyparts look amazing.
Reply 283
As you suggested, being slim is not synonymous with being fit. The truth is MANY slim people are unfit and should think twice about poking fun at fat people. The media I guess tells us slim = healthy which is a load of bull.

But the two biggest epidemics in the future will be heart disease and diabetes....both caused by being fat. Carrying extra fat is very bad for your health...all this 'I am fat but super healthy is nonsense'..fat puts stress on your heart and ups your chances of getting diabetes drastically.

Yes anorexics aren't healthy, but most slim people are.

My housemate mocks me for what I eat and she weighs well over 20 stone and the fat will kill her.
But the two biggest epidemics in the future will be heart disease and diabetes....both caused by being fat. Carrying extra fat is very bad for your health...all this 'I am fat but super healthy is nonsense'..fat puts stress on your heart and ups your chances of getting diabetes drastically.

My housemate mocks me for what I eat and she weighs well over 20 stone and the fat will kill her.

Fat and obese are not the same. Many slightly fat people are very healthy. You can be slim and have high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc as well. I know many 'slim' people who are extremely unfit and are simply weak.

Mmmm my problem with fat people is where they claim it's a disease, or that it's genetic. Thus exempting them from the blame of taking in more calories than they burn off and getting overweight. But I digress.

I don't know, though, sumo wrestlers look pretty fit and yet fat to me. I'm not so sure that most slim people are healthy, either. What's bull is this automatic assumption that somebody slim is healthy, because the two concepts aren't mutually inclusive. I can think of many people I know who are slim, and who aren't healthy...
Reply 286
Fat and obese are not the same. Many slightly fat people are very healthy. You can be slim and have high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc as well. I know many 'slim' people who are extremely unfit and are simply weak.

When you call someone fat you mean a blob. My point is fat people are pretty much always unhealthy and putting their health at risk.

The things saying about being unfit and weak won't cause you to have a heart attack or diabetes...that is the point.
Reply 287
Original post by desdemonata
Mmmm my problem with fat people is where they claim it's a disease, or that it's genetic. Thus exempting them from the blame of taking in more calories than they burn off and getting overweight. But I digress.

I don't know, though, sumo wrestlers look pretty fit and yet fat to me. I'm not so sure that most slim people are healthy, either. What's bull is this automatic assumption that somebody slim is healthy, because the two concepts aren't mutually inclusive. I can think of many people I know who are slim, and who aren't healthy...

The excess fat on the sumo wrestlers belly will cause so much stress on their heart. If they can do marathon it doesn't matter, the excess fat is really bad for you, especially when on the belly.

The thing is non of the future epidemics will be from being slim...name a problem being slim causes? I know of no medical conditions that are caused by being slim...being fat causes so many problems. By saying you can be healthy and fat and unhealthy and slim is just giving fat people an excuse to stay fat and unhealthy. There is rare exceptions I agree, but on the whole it doesn't ring true.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 288
I like muscular guys a lot :wink: or should I say toned, I'm not a fan of a rugby players body for example
I prefer a nice, natural looking amount of muscle. Not huge but a good bit of muscle and low body fat %. I'm not really into that skinny fat, manchild look that seems to be rather popular. Stick arms and little bellies on men make me sick. I work out every day to look my best, so I'd expect my partner to as well.
The excess fat on the sumo wrestlers belly will cause so much stress on their heart. If they can do marathon it doesn't matter, the excess fat is really bad for you, especially when on the belly.

The thing is non of the future epidemics will be from being slim...name a problem being slim causes? I know of no medical conditions that are caused by being slim...being fat causes so many problems. By saying you can be healthy and fat and unhealthy and slim is just giving fat people an excuse to stay fat and unhealthy. There is rare exceptions I agree, but on the whole it doesn't ring true.

Yes, obesity is a big problem, but that isn't to say that being slim is always all fine and dandy. You say this as if eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia don't exist and don't all revolve around being slim and the completely absurd fixation on such ideals society has created. You don't need being slim causing problems, because there are already plenty of problems that can make you slim. My best friend weighs the same as I do and is 5'7", and is pretty damn slim. But that's because she has an anxiety disorder linked to eating problems/disorders. And at the end of they day, she's slim, and she is very unhealthy.

I don't think we should uphold the bull assumption that "slim = healthy" just so that fat people will eat less. I think "not obese = healthier than being obese" is and should be effective enough. Don't get me wrong. I don't endorse nor support obesity, as in the end it is in nobody's best interests for anyone to be obese. But you can most certainly be slim without being healthy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by minimarshmallow
Yes, that's why in an earlier post I said it depends really on how long the guy would spend in the gym. But again the ones I know go for about 3 hours, making it 4 if they live off campus waiting on the bus and then getting back into town. Plus my friends fiance always goes to bed really early or has a nap after he's been the gym, but he only goes 3/4 times a week, so she always makes sure they spend at least one full day a week together.

It isn't relevant at all because I didn't say I didn't find them physically attractive, I said I didn't like their personality that makes them go to the gym all the time. I said I would put less effort into trying to pursue them, I didn't say I would avoid them outright. Just that it's not my no. 1 preference, mostly because of the personality thing but also because if I put my head on his chest I don't want it to be too defined or it would be too uncomfortable (although I could just use a pillow).

If you spend more then 90 minutes at the gym, you're not exercising correctly so your figures seem way off. :s-smilie:

Then your point somewhat irrelevant. The threads about if you find muscular men attractive, as in their bodies, not their personalities, because the latter point is far too varied to be grouped up into a "yes/no" answer. Not all guys who go to the gym are vain obsessive meat heads :tongue:
Reply 292
Original post by Yung Mon£y
If you spend more then 90 minutes at the gym, you're not exercising correctly so your figures seem way off. :s-smilie:

Then your point somewhat irrelevant. The threads about if you find muscular men attractive, as in their bodies, not their personalities, because the latter point is far too varied to be grouped up into a "yes/no" answer. Not all guys who go to the gym are vain obsessive meat heads :tongue:

I spend longer than 90mins in the gym...most serious trainers do.
Lol I said I wasn't fit, meaning no I do not work out. I never have. Never been on a diet or anything like that either.

Thought so :holmes: If you worked out, you may find your taste changes as you learn to appreciate a sculpted physique and raise your expectations.

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
What I meant was that I don't consider their figure to be the be-all and end-all of how attractive a man is. And it would be hypocritical of me because I'd hate for a man to form their entire opinion of me based on my physique.

Because I think he has a good figure. That's why I don't consider it settling. We clearly have different standards on that score.

No, I'm saying that acting as though a person's body encompasses every aspect of them and their personality is a moronic idea, and if I start basing all my relationships on how hot their body is as I get older then frankly I'd rather keep my current philosophy. Which is that while a good physique is nice, it's far from being the most important thing.

No one was saying it is the be-all and end-all, unless I missed something.

How is it a good figure? Good means better then average and honestly, it looks average to me.
Who said it encompasses every aspect of them? :s-smilie: I just said it does reflect certain aspects of who they are.
Reply 294
3 hours in the gym? Probably kids doing 20 types of curls. I can be in and out in 40 mins, sometimes less, if I don't have to wait to use anything. That's doing 4 compound exercises at 3 sets each.
I spend longer than 90mins in the gym...most serious trainers do.

By that time aren't you getting dangerously close to overtraining?

Original post by Jono404
3 hours in the gym? Probably kids doing 20 types of curls. I can be in and out in 40 mins, sometimes less, if I don't have to wait to use anything. That's doing 4 compound exercises at 3 sets each.

Exactly this.
Reply 296

Duration of workout depends on your goals , level of endurance , etc

Some may spend 45 minutes others 3 hrs or more. LOL
Reply 297
By that time aren't you getting dangerously close to overtraining?

Exactly this.

Not really.. depends on the individuals recovering capacity .
Original post by rattyryan
On the natural bodybuilding recognition page he made comments calling people terrorists because they were called usamha or something and he disagreed with something they said. Also his other comments I've seen lead me to think hes a immature little ****

Oh gosh, what an immature little **** indeed.

The veins in his arms in that first photo are such a turn-off for me :indiff:

The VEINS are your problem? :lolwut:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thought so :holmes: If you worked out, you may find your taste changes as you learn to appreciate a sculpted physique and raise your expectations.

Uhm, I think that my expectations are pretty specific and quite high - I want a guy with muscle mass and a muscular body that works out some but isn't too veiny (and generally if you work out, your veins show). That's not a lack of appreciation for a sculpted physique, it's my personal taste.

Your deductions are all off, because the whole time I was thinking of one specific guy and was describing him. I don't have a general "type" as such, so I described him because he's who I find most attractive :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest