The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3960
Just got an email back, we do need to include a personal statement :frown:
Reply 3961
Hey guys need some advice!!

I am really thinking about apply for this STP training scheme 2013 but am not sure if its for me?!

I have a BSc in Biomedical Science and currently working as a biomedical scientist in a histology lab. But i want to work in reproductive medicine and doing the STP would help find the right job aswell as attaining an MSc.

So could anyone advise me on what to do?!

Cheers
Reply 3962
Hi all,

I've just been offered a place for Medical physics up in Liverpool :biggrin: It's not one of the places I was originally thinking of considering, but now I've been offered it I think I will. I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the hospital up there, and the city itself, as I've never been up to Liverpool before.

Reply 3963
Original post by Nat89
Hi all,

I've just been offered a place for Medical physics up in Liverpool :biggrin: It's not one of the places I was originally thinking of considering, but now I've been offered it I think I will. I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the hospital up there, and the city itself, as I've never been up to Liverpool before.

I accepted, I am now officially an STP trainee in Medical Physics up in Liverpool! Who else will be up there?
Original post by Nat89
I accepted, I am now officially an STP trainee in Medical Physics up in Liverpool! Who else will be up there?

Hello, Med Phys Liverpool, I'm Med Phys Liverpool too.

And to answer your previous post, the city of Liverpool is lovely, it has a good night life and a culture to speak of. The hospital is adjacent to the university campus, meaning initially everything is nice and close together.

The Duncan building - where we will be spending a lot of time - is not pretty, its a grim 1970s concrete monolith that will be demolished over the coming few years.

Hope this helps,
Reply 3965
Hi thank you for the reply :smile:

I've emailed Prof. Fisher and he has said I can organise a visit to look round the department, Hopefully I'll get the chance to look at the Uni and the Hospital.

Where in Liverpool will you be looking to live? I've spoken to a couple of people who have warned me off a couple of areas and recommend some, but trying to get as many opinions as I can before I decide.

Also have you heard much about starting dates etc?

Original post by zeropoint
Hello, Med Phys Liverpool, I'm Med Phys Liverpool too.

And to answer your previous post, the city of Liverpool is lovely, it has a good night life and a culture to speak of. The hospital is adjacent to the university campus, meaning initially everything is nice and close together.

The Duncan building - where we will be spending a lot of time - is not pretty, its a grim 1970s concrete monolith that will be demolished over the coming few years.

Hope this helps,
HI Guys,

I've decided to accept the Micro position at The Royal Free.

Is anyone else based here? It would be great to hear from people as I am relocating from West Yorkshire and don't know anyone :frown:

I'm also confused by the masters online application. Did anyone else have to provide references again? and submit a personal statement? Surely we have already got a place on the course so why would we need to provide this all again. I have emailed but not heard back as of yet. I'm getting worried that it starts in a month and i've still not submitted yet as i'm waiting for references.

This really is the most scary/stressful thing i've ever done. I wish we could be given more information and guidance about what is going on.:confused:
Reply 3967
Some information for anyone who may need it.

I am doing Medical Physics at Leeds Teaching Hospital with my part time degree at Kings College London.

My trust asked me to provide two references, birth certificate, passport, driving licence, two utility bills, national insurance card and degree transcripts. I also asked KCL who said that I had to provide two references and complete the personal statement - but that this can be similar to what I put on the STP online application.

Hope that helps for anyone. :smile:

Nick
Reply 3968
Still not heard from my Trust. :frown: I sent an email last Wednesday that hasn't been replied to - I must admit I am a little envious of you all complaining about your application forms!
Original post by medli
Still not heard from my Trust. :frown: I sent an email last Wednesday that hasn't been replied to - I must admit I am a little envious of you all complaining about your application forms!

It's not Berkshire by any chance? I'm having a dreadful time trying to sort out my place there.
Reply 3970
Sorry to hear that. I'm in London and not having much luck either!
Reply 3971
I think the best thing to do is try to phone them. If you ring the main switch board they should be able to put you through to the right people ... well eventually anyway, I rang Liverpool last week and eventually after repeating myself 3 times found out the person I needed was on annual leave, but the 3rd person was still very helpful with some things :smile:
Reply 3972
So this week is the last week that the reserve list is open, has anyone recieved a call with an offer recently?
Reply 3973
I received and have accepted an offer of a place in Audiology today. Does anyone know when the start date is?
Reply 3974
Original post by pfc89
So this week is the last week that the reserve list is open, has anyone recieved a call with an offer recently?

Hi, I got my offer last Thursday :smile:
Reply 3975
Original post by newbie14
I received and have accepted an offer of a place in Audiology today. Does anyone know when the start date is?

It depends on your individual trust, all we've been told so far is mid-end September. Where will you be based?
Reply 3976
Hi,

I don't know much about the area you want to do (I'm starting this year for Medical Physics) but the best advice I can give you, is to try and get some work experience/volunteer and visit as many hospitals as you can related to what you want to do.

Also try to read about the subject and keep up to date with what's going on and any new techniques/theories.

This will help a lot when writing your application and give you lots to talk about in your interview.

Hope that helps :smile:

Original post by rudes86
Hey guys need some advice!!

I am really thinking about apply for this STP training scheme 2013 but am not sure if its for me?!

I have a BSc in Biomedical Science and currently working as a biomedical scientist in a histology lab. But i want to work in reproductive medicine and doing the STP would help find the right job aswell as attaining an MSc.

So could anyone advise me on what to do?!

Cheers
Reply 3977
Nat89, very jealous that you're in Liverpool, that was my first choice, but I'm now going to be working in Kent - want to swap? :tongue: Liverpool's great, and whilst there are some dodgy areas, it's not as bad as people might make out. For the Royal and uni, Kensington (known as Kenny) is within walking distance, and has a Tesco and loads of other shops and stuff. I lived there for two years and never had any problems :smile: If you're in Kensington fields there's lots of students around there, if you go a bit further into Kenny it's more families.
Reply 3978
Original post by Nat89
It depends on your individual trust, all we've been told so far is mid-end September. Where will you be based?

My post is in Nottingham with MSc in either Manchester or Birmingham (I don't know which yet!)

I don't know anything about Nottingham, I currently live on the South Coast, does anybody have advice on where to live etc.?
Reply 3979
Original post by Nat89
Hi, I got my offer last Thursday :smile:

Congratulations! Im on the reserves for Cardiac, I doubt many will be dropping out now, but it seems there is still a slight chance what with a few being offered places recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending