The Student Room Group

Censored lyrics?!

I've got the radio on, Rihanna's S&M cones on, and they've censored the words whips and chains out. Why?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm guessing because sadomasochism is illegal.
Original post by Rybee

It's not illegal, the author of Fifty Shades of Grey just has copyright on it in this country.
Reply 3
Original post by Rybee

It's illegal to get excited by whips and chains?
Reply 4
Original post by The Troll Toll
It's not illegal, the author of Fifty Shades of Grey just has copyright on it in this country.

LOL. What?
It is technically illegal if it leaves a lasting mark on someone's.body, I think.
Original post by lilabs
LOL. What?
It is technically illegal if it leaves a lasting mark on someone's.body, I think.

I think you're thinking of smacking kids. Not the same as sadomasochism, for most people at least.
Reply 6
I think you're thinking of smacking kids. Not the same as sadomasochism, for most people at least.

:rofl:
Cos it's filth and children shouldn't have to hear that on daytime radio.
Reply 8
It's ridiculous, music is supposed to be an art and people wouldn't accept it if for example a nude sculpture was covered up.
Reply 9

Indeed :colone: :tongue:
Reply 10
what i find more annoying is that swear words and any mild drug references are censored but we can listen to nikki minaj and rhianna's endleass sexual euphamisms and inuendos.
Original post by wildrover
It's ridiculous, music is supposed to be an art and people wouldn't accept it if for example a nude sculpture was covered up.

Where is the art in the lyrics Rihanna has written for her?

Something can be explicit and still be art, the music Rihanna and co. perform is just vacuous filth.
Reply 12
Some of the things they censor make no sense. The radio station they have on at my work censor the word gun from Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus. Since when was "gun" a swear word? :lolwut:
Reply 13
I'm pretty sure in Starships by Nicky Minaj she says "My name is Onika you can call me Nicki" but they always censor the Onika bit out.
Original post by emi_sarb
Some of the things they censor make no sense. The radio station they have on at my work censor the word gun from Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus. Since when was "gun" a swear word? :lolwut:

i believe the censor the word 'gun' out of that song because it was released around the time of the columbine shootings... or one of the school shootings in america anyway
Reply 15
Original post by lilabs
I've got the radio on, Rihanna's S&M cones on, and they've censored the words whips and chains out. Why?!

I think because of the pretty obvious sexual context. I think it's good that they don't just censor swear words because you can make a pretty filthy song without using one swear word at all.... I mean imagine the conversation in the car on the way home from school 'mummy why does she say whips and chains excite her' :tongue:
Original post by SHABANA
I'm pretty sure in Starships by Nicky Minaj she says "My name is Onika you can call me Nicki" but they always censor the Onika bit out.

Yeah, my local radio station does that. Maybe because it sounds a bit like she's saying the n word, and they're afraid of people complaining? She says it 'o-NIK-a' with a really hard K, so it souds like a G instead

I don't get why they do that though, it's not like it's hard to look online for the actual lyrics!! they can just correct people who complain surely??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by lilabs

Because they're naughty? :colondollar:

:rofl:
Reply 18
:angry:
Original post by abc:)
I think because of the pretty obvious sexual context. I think it's good that they don't just censor swear words because you can make a pretty filthy song without using one swear word at all.... I mean imagine the conversation in the car on the way home from school 'mummy why does she say whips and chains excite her' :tongue:

Crazy how songs like flo ridas whistle can be on then,'you just put your lips together and you come real close'
Reply 19

Haha, I'm not sure. Look it up and see. I don't think the first person would have jumped to say its illegal if its not? They'd look like a fruitcake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending