The Student Room Group

Giving up JSA for college, how can I support myself?

I'm 19 and currently on Jobseeker's Allowance. After many months of trying and failing to find a job, I decided that what I really need is to get back into education. I have been offered a place on an Access Course starting in September, for which I will have to give up JSA as obviously I can't be on it at the same time. My problem is, I have bills and rent to pay - how will I live? Of course, the obvious answer to this is to get a evening/weekend job, but of course the problem in the first place was that I'm finding getting a job really difficult, so it may be a while until I can get one! It seems to me that there is pretty much nothing I can get in the way of benefits or grants if I go back to college. I really want to go because I just have to just get up out of this depressing cycle of bad jobs and unemployment and go to university next year - I don't want to count not going as an option. I figure there's got to be something out there to help until I can get a part time job, right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Find a course that is part time (under 15hrs a week) but is 75%+ intensity, meaning that you'll be in college 2 days a week but it'll be run like a full time course. This means you'll be able to stay on JSA and other benefits and look for a job. This is what I done when I went back to college in sept 2011.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BexiG
Find a course that is part time (under 15hrs a week) but is 75%+ intensity, meaning that you'll be in college 2 days a week but it'll be run like a full time course. This means you'll be able to stay on JSA and other benefits and look for a job. This is what I done when I went back to college in sept 2011.

Agreed. You are expected to give up your course for a job.
Reply 3
Support yourself how every other student supports their self. Bursary, Student Loan, Scholarship, Part time job. Rather than sponging of JSA of all the hard working students. How many part time jobs have you applied for today?

Reply 4
Can I do my access course part time? Really I've got my heart set on this one because it's my only way into university right now :frown:
Original post by anthonyfl
Support yourself how every other student supports their self. Bursary, Student Loan, Scholarship, Part time job. Rather than sponging of JSA of all the hard working students. How many part time jobs have you applied for today?

Bit harsh?

If she didn't try to better herself by returning to education I'm sure you would be the first to point a finger.

You just can't win with some people...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

That's really not fair.
Reply 7

You don't get student loans for access courses, hence the OPs question.
Reply 8

Your attitude is totally unnecessary. I try really ****ing hard to get a job - how many other people have you made feel bad about themselves today? Obviously I don't HAVE the options you've listed above otherwise I wouldn't have posted this, so instead of talking to me like a bit of dirt on the ground, take your "opinions" elsewhere.
Reply 9
Original post by Tigrah99
Can I do my access course part time? Really I've got my heart set on this one because it's my only way into university right now :frown:

I did mine part time. The tutors made sure it was under 16 hours so those claiming benefits, could.
Reply 10
I would say join a temp agency as a cleaner, they will send you out to schools. The pay is £6.00ph. Once your at the school, you can try and get a contract with them. That is what I did last year summer, when I was between leaving college and joining uni. They do tend to give you the jobs quickly though.
Reply 11
Thanks guys, I will talk to my college about whether I can do the course part time, I don't mind how long it takes as long as I can do it :smile: I will definitely be looking into recruitment agencies, any job that can get me through the year would be a godsend right now!
Your attitude is totally unnecessary. I try really ****ing hard to get a job - how many other people have you made feel bad about themselves today? Obviously I don't HAVE the options you've listed above otherwise I wouldn't have posted this, so instead of talking to me like a bit of dirt on the ground, take your "opinions" elsewhere.

Maybe there's a reason why you don't get a loan then? That reason is probably because you have plenty of time to work during the week alongside your course. Have you applied for any jobs today?

Reply 13
Maybe there's a reason why you don't get a loan then? That reason is probably because you have plenty of time to work during the week alongside your course. Have you applied for any jobs today?

Obviously you don't have any kind of clue how it works and failed to read my original post properly. I am going to college, not university, therefore I can't get a loan. Furthermore, the course is FULL TIME. And, not that it's any of your business, I apply for jobs every single day - do you think I like being unemployed? I try really hard and feel low enough as it is without silly little people like you making me feel worse.
Reply 14
Original post by OU Student
Agreed. You are expected to give up your course for a job.

Yes you are expected to give up your course for a job. But even when I found a job, I was able to have my college days off, so my studies were never interrupted. When my contract job ended, I signed back on. Most access courses I know of are part time, as they are designed for adults returning to education. I done a HNC course though.

I'm finding getting a job really difficult

Who doesn't? My brother had weeks of going round shops with CVs constantly, many hours on Saturday and sunday afternoons applying online, many interviews, and even volunteered in a charity shop to get "cash handling experience" (my idea :biggrin:)

If you want constructive advice, volunteer in a charity shop to get cash handling experience, a reference, and to show you're reliable or get work experience. For a shop job of course, as these are easiest to get for students.

Reply 16
Who doesn't? My brother had weeks of going round shops with CVs constantly, many hours on Saturday and sunday afternoons applying online, many interviews, and even volunteered in a charity shop to get "cash handling experience" (my idea :biggrin:)

If you want constructive advice, volunteer in a charity shop to get cash handling experience, a reference, and to show you're reliable or get work experience. For a shop job of course, as these are easiest to get for students.

You show your naivety really. You suggest volunteering? And how many months would she need to do that for? You can't just do it for two weeks.
Original post by Cephalus
You show your naivety really. You suggest volunteering? And how many months would she need to do that for? You can't just do it for two weeks.

Eh yes you can..I know three people who have went down that avenue and done 2 hours per week for like a month and they get jobs much easier. Charity shops don't care. Most managers are nice and understand you're just after a reference, after all, they need volunteers.

Funny how you say I "show my naivety" AFTER I say my age!

Eh yes you can..I know three people who have went down that avenue and done 2 hours per week for like a month and they get jobs much easier. Charity shops don't care. Most managers are nice and understand you're just after a reference, after all, they need volunteers.

And how is the OP supposed to eat whilst he is volunteering
Reply 19

Funny how you say I "show my naivety" AFTER I say my age!

Age is irrelevant. Naivety is defined as being naive—having or showing a lack of experience, understanding or sophistication. And lets be honest you just don't understand. Or you wouldn't have been talking about bursaries etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending