The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Alice_strt
James Young, but really honestly wanted James Goold much more. I mean, for the same price why not have better. Plus, now I started reading about Chancellors being renovated or something like that and it makes me more upset, that I might have got the worst of the best.

I have been to other students accommodations in different countries, I just think that what makes me want to have James Goold is that I visid my friends there about five years ago and it was amazing!

I like bathrooms in James Young, they're bigger than those tiny cells in James Goold :biggrin:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
I just found out I will receive the result of my last subject somewhere near the end of next week and the certificate in the week after that! I was told it would be nearer to the end of August, but my teacher confirmed it would be way sooner.
I'm so happy, since that means I can send my results to the uni, become unconditional (if I pass) and get an accommodation offer before the English students get their A-level results :biggrin: So hopefully I won't get stuck at ****ty halls since I won't be last to get my results.
Reply 262
Original post by KiaraMarissa
I just found out I will receive the result of my last subject somewhere near the end of next week and the certificate in the week after that! I was told it would be nearer to the end of August, but my teacher confirmed it would be way sooner.
I'm so happy, since that means I can send my results to the uni, become unconditional (if I pass) and get an accommodation offer before the English students get their A-level results :biggrin: So hopefully I won't get stuck at ****ty halls since I won't be last to get my results.

Great news!!! So happy to hear that! :smile: I guess sending everything before A-level results day is a huge advantage for you! I'm quite sure you will pass! Do you know which ones you want to apply to?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

Superb!

Don't forget, you can always complain to the accommodation office if you get the opposite what you have applied to. :tongue:
Original post by alaska.
Great news!!! So happy to hear that! :smile: I guess sending everything before A-level results day is a huge advantage for you! I'm quite sure you will pass! Do you know which ones you want to apply to?

Right?! I was really worried they wouldn't have place for me anymore. I've already applied when the option to apply online became available. I'm pretty sure I chose Forbes, James Blyth and Thomas Campbell. How about you? I saw you became unconditional! Congrats :biggrin: What accommodation did you get?
Original post by FinnLassie
Superb!

Don't forget, you can always complain to the accommodation office if you get the opposite what you have applied to. :tongue:

Haha, I'm really not one to complain. Not to official bodies at least. I'd probably just suck it up and stick it out. I wish I was different. But, oh well. I hope I won't have any reason to complain.
Reply 266
Right?! I was really worried they wouldn't have place for me anymore. I've already applied when the option to apply online became available. I'm pretty sure I chose Forbes, James Blyth and Thomas Campbell. How about you? I saw you became unconditional! Congrats :biggrin: What accommodation did you get?

I got into Thomas Campbell :smile: some are already full I heard, but TC still has spaces as a girl told me who chose to go there because her preferred choice was full (James Goold, I think). Also JB and TC are pretty big, so you might have a better chance. You can still change after 4 weeks, they put sething like a swapbook out ;-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Original post by alaska.
I got into Thomas Campbell :smile: some are already full I heard, but TC still has spaces as a girl told me who chose to go there because her preferred choice was full (James Goold, I think). Also JB and TC are pretty big, so you might have a better chance. You can still change after 4 weeks, they put sething like a swapbook out ;-)

I hope only the en suite accommodation is full. A girl can dream. I know there is the posibility to change, but I don't think anyone would want to swap to off campus accommodation.. So I hope they don't put me there.
Got my Award Notice in the post today :biggrin: Glad that that all worked out.
Doesn't look too official does it? That's a bit strange. You'd think there would be more on there than a couple sentences. Oh well, I suppose it doesn't really matter.
Got my Award Notice in the post today :biggrin: Glad that that all worked out.
Doesn't look too official does it? That's a bit strange. You'd think there would be more on there than a couple sentences. Oh well, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

That's the same feeling that I had, haha. "What, is this really all? Seriously?" In Finland a document of that sort would never look so simple. :tongue:
That's the same feeling that I had, haha. "What, is this really all? Seriously?" In Finland a document of that sort would never look so simple. :tongue:

Right? It's so strange. The Dutch government would make it look all fancy with special paper and some kind of signature and stuff like that. A child could replicate this award letter.
Right? It's so strange. The Dutch government would make it look all fancy with special paper and some kind of signature and stuff like that. A child could replicate this award letter.

I think the biggest chunk of my "wtf?" came from the letter having no stamps. Here everything gets stamped a ton of times and I cannot really think about any documents being official unless they have a stamp hahaha. Finland sure loves its stamps. :tongue:
Reply 272
good for your stamps! ^^ well, it surely isn't what we expected but still is quite important to have, despite its looks it saves us more money than anything else.. aand after all, the university will check everything, having stamps or not
Reply 273
Sorry I am bringing that up again, but did you all decide on bank accounts yet?

I remember that FinnLassie talked about going with Clydesdale because they don't charge you for transactions? However, they don't provide any overdraft and charge an interest rate of 7.14% or so. I don't need an overdraft of 3,000 pounds, but a little amount would be nice, just to be safe. So any other suggestions about little fees or no fees at all?!

I want to open mine up in 3 weeks or so, so I'd like to know all that stuff before :wink:
Original post by alaska.

I remember that FinnLassie talked about going with Clydesdale because they don't charge you for transactions? However, they don't provide any overdraft and charge an interest rate of 7.14% or so. I don't need an overdraft of 3,000 pounds, but a little amount would be nice, just to be safe. So any other suggestions about little fees or no fees at all?!

I want to open mine up in 3 weeks or so, so I'd like to know all that stuff before :wink:

Blah they don't have overdraft? :x To me it doesn't bring a problem but I do understand it's a downside for many.

I don't know if you're able to open a bank account when you don't have a permanent address in Scotland? I suggest you call around the banks and ask about this plus the transaction fees when you're there before the final move. :yes: And report back to us of course :biggrin:
Reply 275
Blah they don't have overdraft? :x To me it doesn't bring a problem but I do understand it's a downside for many.

I don't know if you're able to open a bank account when you don't have a permanent address in Scotland? I suggest you call around the banks and ask about this plus the transaction fees when you're there before the final move. :yes: And report back to us of course :biggrin:

At least, that's what I got from some website that compared all of them. I don't need a huge amount, but I'd like a bit. I experienced problems here when payments were late for a few days, so I'd like an free overdraft of about 500 pounds or something.

Thanks for the hint :biggrin: I should maybe check that with them. They all require your Unconditional and/or Final Certificate of Acceptance and passport, from what I have read. If they wanted to see some sort of residence proof I could still show them my Occupancy Agreement?! But yeah, I will check that. And let you guys know if I find something out :smile:
x
Original post by alaska.

Your question on facebook made me start researching some banks. All the websites are terribly confusing and it's giving me a headache..
I did look up Clydesdale after FinnLassies tip about their free transactions from foreign banks. Turns out it is only free when the amount is below 100 pounds, otherwise they'll charge you 7 pounds. I don't know about you guys, but I'll be transferring more than 100 pounds per month, so I'd still have to pay. I also looked at RBS again and, according to their website, they charge 1 pounds for amounts below 100 pounds and 7 pounds for amounts over 100 pounds. So the banks charge the same. I think I'd prefer to open an account at the RBS, as it's a more established bank. Also, they have branches in the Netherlands, so I could open an account before I arrive. Do note that the RBS charges 10 pounds when you want to transfer from Scotland to a European account.

Sources :rolleyes:

Spoiler

If you find or hear about a good bank that doesn't charge, please let me know :biggrin: But I think they all have a fee, which sucks.
Reply 277
Your question on facebook made me start researching some banks. All the websites are terribly confusing and it's giving me a headache..
I did look up Clydesdale after FinnLassies tip about their free transactions from foreign banks. Turns out it is only free when the amount is below 100 pounds, otherwise they'll charge you 7 pounds. I don't know about you guys, but I'll be transferring more than 100 pounds per month, so I'd still have to pay. I also looked at RBS again and, according to their website, they charge 1 pounds for amounts below 100 pounds and 7 pounds for amounts over 100 pounds. So the banks charge the same. I think I'd prefer to open an account at the RBS, as it's a more established bank. Also, they have branches in the Netherlands, so I could open an account before I arrive. Do note that the RBS charges 10 pounds when you want to transfer from Scotland to a European account.

Sources :rolleyes:

Spoiler

If you find or hear about a good bank that doesn't charge, please let me know :biggrin: But I think they all have a fee, which sucks.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again." - Meh!
Thanks a lot! I was trying to find those kind of things the whole day searching google. Obviously I really tried typing in the wrong things.

I totally agree with you. I'd like to go with rather RBS, Natwest or Bank of Scotland as well. Mostly with RBS. My boyfriend told me that to whatever cash machine he goes, he doesn't have to pay. That's a big plus for me. Natwest says they don't charge but other banks might. So they don't give you the guarantee.

They (RBS) do say that you need a deposit of at least 750 pounds over 6 month though (so money being put in your bank account) and need to make 3 transactions a month (guess that will be easy as I usually use my card when I am out and don't have cash on me + I will pay my rent for Thomas Campbell monthly not termly.)

I will research if there are any advantages if the bank has a branch in Germany etc. as well. Bank of Scotland and RBS both have branches in Germany, so I will look into that again :yes:
Original post by alaska.
"Please rate some other members before rating this member again." - Meh!
Thanks a lot! I was trying to find those kind of things the whole day searching google. Obviously I really tried typing in the wrong things.

I totally agree with you. I'd like to go with rather RBS, Natwest or Bank of Scotland as well. Mostly with RBS. My boyfriend told me that to whatever cash machine he goes, he doesn't have to pay. That's a big plus for me. Natwest says they don't charge but other banks might. So they don't give you the guarantee.

They (RBS) do say that you need a deposit of at least 750 pounds over 6 month though (so money being put in your bank account) and need to make 3 transactions a month (guess that will be easy as I usually use my card when I am out and don't have cash on me + I will pay my rent for Thomas Campbell monthly not termly.)

I will research if there are any advantages if the bank has a branch in Germany etc. as well. Bank of Scotland and RBS both have branches in Germany, so I will look into that again :yes:

Haha that's okay. I had the same message displayed to me a couple days ago when I wanted to rep you :wink: I don't really care about rep anyways.

I tried google as well, but that was tragic for me too. I ended up looking under the international and travel section and poof! there it was. I also looked it up my Dutch bank and they don't charge anything for transfers within Europe. Yaay :biggrin:
Surely you'll have over 750 pounds over a period of 6 months? That would be a minimum of 125 pounds per month. That is way less than my students bursaries so I'm not really worried about those requirements.
Reply 279
Haha that's okay. I had the same message displayed to me a couple days ago when I wanted to rep you :wink: I don't really care about rep anyways.

I tried google as well, but that was tragic for me too. I ended up looking under the international and travel section and poof! there it was. I also looked it up my Dutch bank and they don't charge anything for transfers within Europe. Yaay :biggrin:
Surely you'll have over 750 pounds over a period of 6 months? That would be a minimum of 125 pounds per month. That is way less than my students bursaries so I'm not really worried about those requirements.

If my weekly rent is 86 pounds, yeah basically from the rent alone I am over that mark. Also, my parents give me some money to live with so I can eat and stuff :biggrin: I am not worrying about that either :wink: you should keep it in mind over the summer months though, when we go home :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending