The Student Room Group

Kiaran Stapleton: Is 30 Years too Leniant?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9431941/Kiaran-Stapleton-jailed-for-30-years-for-murdering-student.html

This report sickens me. Not only for the murder - that in itself is bad enough - but the manner and the guy's reactions.

To LAUGH while being fully aware of what he had done was bad enough
To get that tear-shaped tattoo was as bad.
To pick the guy out for having the biggest head too.....

Why does society have to live and suffer with such utter scum? And now we have to keep him for the next 30 years at the taxpayers expense.

Personally I would have him suffer the death penalty (though there are many arguments for and against this) but the question is: he has a 30 year minimum jail sentence - is this too leniant?

I say definitely and I hope he dies in prison. All the better if some fellow inmates batter him to death for such an atrocity.

Scroll to see replies

Absolute tool. Deserves life.
Reply 2
"the killer of Indian student Anuj Bidve, has been jailed for life with a minimum of 30 years."

What is the issue? It is essentially the maximum sentence, how can it ever be described as 'too lenient'?.

In no way shape or form should we ever bring back the death penalty, ever.
Reply 3
He is a sociopath. He will more than likely be transported to one of the secure mental facilities, where he will die.
In the 30 years time, he will become 50 and understand what he has done and in my opinion he will not be able to sleep then.
I'm against the death penalty, but reading teeth gritting stories like this makes me so tempted to do so.
Original post by Tommyjw
"the killer of Indian student Anuj Bidve, has been jailed for life with a minimum of 30 years."

What is the issue? It is essentially the maximum sentence, how can it ever be described as 'too lenient'?.

In no way shape or form should we ever bring back the death penalty, ever.

Minimum of 30 years..... So he could be out when he is 51. That's not life!! He could have 30+ more years to live, especially with healthcare ever improving!!!

I disagree with you on the death penalty argument but that is not matter for this thread.
In prison his cocky little attitude won't get him very far, I hope somebody in there gives him what he deserves.

30 years won't bring back the life he took, but I hope it makes his miserable.
Original post by JamalAhmed
In the 30 years time, he will become 50 and understand what he has done and in my opinion he will not be able to sleep then.

I doubt he'll change, if he doesn't have the slightest remorse for a random murder now, what makes you think he'll start having sympathy 30 years later? The only life he'll know of 30 years later is the prison life, where he spent time with all sorts of murderers and rapists.
The death penalty is too lenient. He should rot in a small cold jail cell for the rest of his life.
(edited 11 years ago)
"Stapleton would only be released after 30 years if a parole board was satisfied he no longer posed a risk to the public and even then would be on life licence and could be recalled at any time. "

Please read the article you post
I must say 30 years is better than I was expecting, I thought he might get about 20-25. The guy is absolute scum, hope the 30 years are slow and unpleasant.
People you do know that life in prison doesn't actually mean life.?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.
Reply 13
I'm fully against the death penalty, instead I sincerely hope he loses his anal virginity in prison..
Well, this basically is an argument about the dealth penalty, isn't it? Is 40 years really a much harsher punishment than 30? If you think 30 years is too lenient a punishment, you're basically calling either for a real "life" imprisonment, or the death penalty - and I think real "life" sentences are pointless. Either you think there's a point at which they might have redeemed and reformed themselves and can be released, or you don't - and if you think they're irredeemable, why keep them around?
Original post by Politricks
I doubt he'll change, if he doesn't have the slightest remorse for a random murder now, what makes you think he'll start having sympathy 30 years later? The only life he'll know of 30 years later is the prison life, where he spent time with all sorts of murderers and rapists.

You're just guessing now. In time he will grow and may show remorse or may not. Some people need space and time to change.
I'm happy he got a minimum of 30 years to be honest, because it means at the very earliest he will only set foot outside of prison when he's 51, sure he may still be released then, but all of that is dependent on whether they think he is dangerous then or not. In either case, whether his sentence drags on (possibly until his death) or not, the vast majority of his own life will have been spent languishing in a cell. Honestly though, I don't think he will change at all - just something about him seems...off, like he's not quite there - I'm not a psychologist/psychiatrist though so honestly I dont know either way, but just his general lack of compassion and taking things seriously...just doesn't seem like he's right in the head - either that or he's just plain scum...probably a mix of both.
Original post by ThePants999
Well, this basically is an argument about the dealth penalty, isn't it? Is 40 years really a much harsher punishment than 30? If you think 30 years is too lenient a punishment, you're basically calling either for a real "life" imprisonment, or the death penalty - and I think real "life" sentences are pointless. Either you think there's a point at which they might have redeemed and reformed themselves and can be released, or you don't - and if you think they're irredeemable, why keep them around?

Aha, now you have just hit the nail right on the head!! Indeed that is exactly what I am calling for - and if "life-life" sentences are pointless, then surely it is better to end his life now? I don't think this guy will ever be "redeemable" - you are quite right, what IS the point of keeping him around?!

You could argue 40 years isnt much harsher than 30 but it is still another decade and he would be 61 when he came out instead of 51.

I wish Kiaran Stapleton all the worst in prison.
Reply 18
Well getting the teardrop tattoo must have made him pretty easy to catch tbh.

No one's mentioning that it's possible that the murder was racially motivated, imo he probably thought he was murdering a random Pakistani immigrant but was advised not to mention it.

Seems like a vicious moron... 30 years min seems about right imo.
Reply 19
It's people like this guy that make the argument for death penalty so much stronger. It should be brought back, but only be used to in the more extreme cases like this one...where the perpetrator is clearly mentally stable and yet has absolutely no remorse. Why waste decades of tax money on a person who clearly will never rejoin society in a constructive manner.

Latest

Trending

Trending