The Student Room Group

Pretty girls have it harder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hiding12
Fair play, do you know what she was getting paid and what modelling she did?

About £300 an hour (I assume she's OK with me saying this - she's on TSR so I'd point her at the question instead but she barely posts any more), but that isn't quite representative as I understand that's pay for a shoot, and there's work outside of that to be done as well.
Reply 61
Original post by Chumbaniya
About £300 an hour (I assume she's OK with me saying this - she's on TSR so I'd point her at the question instead but she barely posts any more), but that isn't quite representative as I understand that's pay for a shoot, and there's work outside of that to be done as well.

haha, jesus christ, I don't blame her, no one could, pretty good compensation for the shallow industry and putting up with standing and pouting
Reply 62
Original post by Millie228
As we all know, men care about appearance, regularly check out hot women and want a gf/wife to take care of themselves.

The background is that I just read this article:
http://www.hookingupsmart.com/2009/09/11/hookinguprealities/do-pretty-girls-have-it-harder/

I have noticed - and wonder if anyone else has - that the very best looking women are not necessarily luckier in love than others. Of course part of that is that more matters than looks when it comes to relationships - if being a "10" would guarantee love, then we wouldn't see the most beautiful actresses or top models divorcing all the time, but they do.
But I'm talking about women who are striking AND have pleasant personalities / intelligent. I know men who are very attractive/high quality who has been dating stunning women for some time, but now seem to have settled down with girls who are pretty, but not stunning. Of course there has to be compatibility, but I find that many men seem to settle down with women who are less attractive, yet not sweeter or more intelligent than women they dated before.
Keep in mind I am not complaining about this, it's just an observation.
I read somewhere from a research: "If women are too attractive, men stay in their cerebral cortexes. They'll date beautiful women to feel envy from their male friends. They have no reason to shift into their limbic brains and emotionally connect"
I know some men can be hesitant about walking up to a stunning girl. I also heard a guy say that it would be intimidating for him to be with a "9" or "10" as he feared she'd leave him for someone else and didn't like all the men making a move on her. Some men might also assume that a supermodel-looking girl spend more time on her appearance, and have less of a personality. I also think men are likely to think beautiful women are high maintenance?

It's nothing like those articles wrote to you. Your observation, however, according to my experience, is true to some degrees. The thing you need to understand is settling down for a women who have exquisite look isn't just good sex and handsome guys. They may require their partners to adjust their own lifestyle, thus causing massive drama for both parties since their partners may not want to settle down yet. Those attractive gentlemen you said, may have lower social status, and that can cause problems.

An overwhelming majority of men do have an issue that they have to SHARE their long-term partners with other men, this is both cultural programming and biological instinct. Beautiful women may have a much better variety than an average woman, so they have quite a lot more options to afford a lifestyle of extravagant sexual and romantic partners. This, of course, will scare the **** out of many many men. So it's an issue with expectation and availability between two people. It may be even a matter of personality and lifestyle as well.

A general rule to remember is that, for both genders, short-term flings or sexual encounters are designed based a lot on look, while long-term relationship may take away look a few notches and increase the importance of personality compatibility.
I always find hard to talk to extremely attractive women because my eyes tend to wonder on different parts of her body, I don't mean to be perverted it just happens.

I never chat up girls but I do get girls in bars come up to me, I like the attention from some of the girls but it does get boring if they have no personal interests. I tend to get bored if all she can talk about is about her looks and I usually have to find a way of saying no without hurting her feelings.

Matching personalities is really important in any relationship I think, similar interests is good, if you like movies, sports, travelling etc you want someone you can share that with. Most men like it if a woman takes a interest that he is in then he will think she is worth the effort and he will do the same back. There is no point being with someone who is just going to be a trophy bf/gf because it soon get boring.
Original post by Anonymous
This will probably seem conceited no matter how I phrase it, but based on what others have told me and not on how I see myself, I am a so-called 'pretty girl'.

I think that pretty girls have it hard, but maybe not 'harder'.

It's no doubt flattering to be told that you're beautiful, but it can begin to feed insecurities... As a 'pretty girl', I've felt at times that my looks are all I've had to offer. In a relationship, you begin to wonder if he's with you purely because he finds you physically attractive, and I can tell you that's not a nice way to feel at all. Whilst I like myself as a person a lot more than I like my appearance (which isn't much), I'm increasingly insecure about my personality as boyfriends have only really seemed fussed on my looks. I'd much rather be told that I'm intelligent or funny (not suggesting that I'm either), for example, than good-looking... Maybe that's just me, though.

Anyhow, no need to break out the violins, folks. To get back on track, I think that girls who aren't pretty (you know what I mean...) may not have it easiest at first, but once in a relationship, they can be almost certain that his feelings for you are the real deal... He finds you attractive on many levels - score.

Having said that, the grass does tend to be greener on the other side.

(I really hope I haven't come across as horribly I fear I have... I'm not an arrogant person by any means - honestly.)

aww dw you didn't come across as conceited at all :smile:
and there's nothing wrong with finding yourself attractive either. If you think you are pretty, admit it without feeling the need to apologize :smile:
More to do with how she conducts herself despite appearances, for me. Met plenty of hot chicks who are total cvnts, others who are chill as ****.

This girl right here...has everything

Not sure if "pretty" women have it harder so much as arrogant, stuck up bints have it harder.
Pretty girls have it easy. Generally if they want to they can: get attention more easily, more friends, find work more easily, find boyfriends more easily, can have sex whenever they want, get special treatment on nights out and so on.
Reply 68
It is true that the very pretty girls will attract the arrogant guys, the douchebags, the players and the shallow guys, while many other decent guys will be put off due to the pedestal thing or due to being scared of rejection.
Reply 69
Original post by foolscap
It is true that the very pretty girls will attract the arrogant guys, the douchebags, the players and the shallow guys, while many other decent guys will be put off due to the pedestal thing or due to being scared of rejection.

Yeh but they can just reject the douchebags though cant they?
Reply 70
Original post by hiding12
Yeh but they can just reject the douchebags though cant they?
The point is that they will attract the wrong people for long lasting relationships and have to weed out these people to find someone right for them - some douchebags act differently around women anyway, as they win them over before resorting back to their douche ways once they get comfy. Younger girls often have more trouble realizing that the guy after them is a douche, once girls mature they get rid of these people.
Reply 71
Original post by foolscap
The point is that they will attract the wrong people for long lasting relationships and have to weed out these people to find someone right for them - some douchebags act differently around women anyway, as they win them over before resorting back to their douche ways once they get comfy. Younger girls often have more trouble realizing that the guy after them is a douche, once girls mature they get rid of these people.

NO I agree, its just atleast these girls have the choice, whereas 'unattractive' women have much less choice. If a girl is intelligent, she will sense who the good ones are anyway
A lot of them tend to be shallow and/or only settle for money or because they are getting old.

When you build a relationship on those foundations, its only going to end up in disaster.
Original post by Aisha~~
More to do with how she conducts herself despite appearances, for me. Met plenty of hot chicks who are total cvnts, others who are chill as ****.

This girl right here...has everything

I was talking to one of my model friends about her, they work for the same agency and started out at the same time. My friend says that Rosie is the bitchiest, most shallow and rude model she's ever worked with (and that's pretty special in itself). She told me a story about them having their make-up done for a shoot (that being their job and all), but she refused to get off of the phone and just kept swearing at the make-up artist (?). Apparently she only ever talks to the team on set to complain and is usually high on coke.
Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora
I was talking to one of my model friends about her, they work for the same agency and started out at the same time. My friend says that Rosie is the bitchiest, most shallow and rude model she's ever worked with (and that's pretty special in itself). She told me a story about them having their make-up done for a shoot (that being their job and all), but she refused to get off of the phone and just kept swearing at the make-up artist (?). Apparently she only ever talks to the team on set to complain and is usually high on coke.

Fair. I can't claim to know her personally, only the persona she puts forward to the public. Boyhood dreams = ruined
it's harder for beautiful girls. trust me
Reply 76
Original post by Aisha~~
Fair. I can't claim to know her personally, only the persona she puts forward to the public. Boyhood dreams = ruined

I like Rosie. I always take these things with a pinch of salt. Can you imagine if you were a celebrity and you had a bad day in the presence of a 'regular' person and their judgment of you at that moment would define their impression of you as well as their friends' forever?
David Gandy said that he found Gisele Bundchen "stuck up", whereas photographers say regularly that she's so easy-going with a great personality. So yeah, what do you know.
I know models who are bitches definitely, but those who aren't "top range" are usually worse, as if they have the need to compensate, as opposed to supermodels, whose "value" is already given commercially.
I rarely ever re-post myself, but for those of you wondering whether pretty girls have it harder, here's a post I made about a year ago on the same topic. All things considered, they DO have it harder...because let's fact it, insecurity is a b!tch, and most average people are very, very insecure. This knowledge comes with experience

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1699342&page=2&p=32636250&highlight=#post32636250
Reply 78
I think pretty girls have less people approach them because a person may be insecure or persume she will find someone better, so they go for something easier in their eyes and a below aveerage looking person. I think this was proven by someone before also...
In a way I guess they do.

I don't think im that pretty, I think im above average looking but im not the kind of pretty that people constantly stare and have to take second looks at and i have never been given anything for free or special treatment, nothing compared to anything samamtha brick says pretty girls get anyway.

I think pretty people are never excepting of their looks, im using me as an example so just imagine it a 100 x amplified for someone who is ridiclously stunning. But some days I feel like if im called pretty by one person there will be 3 more people to point out what itsnt pretty about me, or I can get into a state of mind where I am confident in how I look and feel like a pretty girl but then one thing will knock my confidence and then I feel like I have been deluded all my life and lived in dinial....A recent case of something kind of like that happening, my friends boyfriend was at a pub with some guys, for some reason I came up in converstion and a couple of people started saying I was fit or something like that, a couple of girls who were with them who to be honest I have never really even met properlly where like 'haha seriously? she really isn't' and then went onto facebook and started to go through my tagged photos to find really unflattering photo's of me to prove their point.

I dont feel as if a guy has ever taken the chance to get to know me, I have never had a good experience with a guy they have all ended up being users, and its not a case of me going for the 'bad boys' as im not attraced to them, its just that every guy who has ever approached me has been an idiot.

In no way am I bitter and ungrateful, I would never make such a bold statement to say whether or not its better or worse to be pretty, ugly or average as no one knows what its like from each perspective. Even though some things annoy me about being considered pretty I still strive to be better looking, im thinking of getting surgery (nose and boob job) I think perhaps a reason for that is if im going to get defined by how I look and nothing else I might aswell be the best at looking good if that makes sense? As I feel no man has any interest in any other qualities I may have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending