The Student Room Group

Oxbridge ever been in clearing?

' I was just wondering if Cambridge or Oxford has ever been in clearing? If so, have they ever had good subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Nope :nah:
Reply 2
From the letter everyone who had offers was sent, I'm under the impression they just taking those with the highest marks who still missed their offers.
Reply 3
From what I know from Cam, rarely anyone gets in without an interview. On some departmental websites, it says no admittance unless you've had an interview
Yeah I thought neither of them would ever go in clearing. I never knew Cambridge was higher than Oxford till yestersay, thought they was the same.
I will be very surprised
Reply 6
Original post by JordanAlexander
Yeah I thought neither of them would ever go in clearing. I never knew Cambridge was higher than Oxford till yestersay, thought they was the same.

Higher in what context?
Original post by TenOfThem
Higher in what context?

Alphabetically. :wink:
Original post by TenOfThem
Higher in what context?

In the context that it's a ranked higher from from 2007 - present.
Reply 9
In the context that it's a ranked higher from from 2007 - present.

I think that depends very much on the subject

And on the ranking you are looking at
' I was just wondering if Cambridge or Oxford has ever been in clearing? If so, have they ever had good subjects?

The rankings don't mean much at all, just look at this http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-mathematics

Oxford and Cambridge are pretty much the same. Sure, Cambridge often come one or two higher in world rankings, but this is mainly due to to postgrad stuff - Cambridge has historically been more of a sciences university, and so their research and stuff scores them highly in the 'citations' area compared to the arts which Oxford is more known for.

Whichever one you go to, any employer in the world will say 'wow'.
Reply 11
Education at Homerton once was, but it was a long time ago when the entry process was different to now

Before the war, Oxford and Cambridge colleges often struggled to recruit because they were so expensive. They have only been "full" since student grants were first awarded.
No, they currently do not take part in the clearing system. In fact, both give out open offers which helps ensure that all the places missed by those who miss their offers or reject Oxbridge etc..are filled. Hence, I'm feeling pretty screwed as I almost 100% know I missed my offer :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Chaofan88
No, they currently do not take part in the clearing system. In fact, both give out open offers which helps ensure that all the places missed by those who miss their offers or reject Oxbridge etc..are filled. Hence, I'm feeling pretty screwed as I almost 100% know I missed my offer :frown:

loool me too =] never mind we'll just have to wait and see :smile:
:hugs: I've kinda accepted I've missed it, so at least it won't be the hugest surprise. What did you apply for? And did you apply for Ox or Camb (the enemy)?
Reply 16
Original post by Chaofan88
:hugs: I've kinda accepted I've missed it, so at least it won't be the hugest surprise. What did you apply for? And did you apply for Ox or Camb (the enemy)?

Cam :biggrin: I take it you applied for Ox?
Tbh I doubt it- Clearing is mainly for people who've missed offers for uni. If you have missed an offer for another uni, you are not likely to have got grades good enough for Oxbridge. Also because of their interviews their admissions process probably takes too long to happen during the clearing period. If they had spare spaces after accepting everyone who met their offfers, they would probably juts accept people who missed offers. My cousin missed an offer for Cambridge but got let in anyway. However, that was 6 years ago and I don't know what may have changed in that time.
It could be close this year, I have seen a lot of English style courses still in extras for Cambridge
Original post by RastaMannn
It could be close this year, I have seen a lot of English style courses still in extras for Cambridge

All courses are in Extra by default, universities have to opt out for each course and they don't always do it even if the course is full/closed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending