The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by Kallisto
As far as I can see the text contains about 120 words. Perhaps its a little less. If you accept this number of words, I will send the one as a private message.

Sure PM me :smile:
Original post by Ash S
Sure PM me :smile:

I have done it. I would so happy, if you are able to translate the Japanese text. I wanted to speak Japanese for a long time. I have even planned to live in Japan, but I have changed my mind. I have a little predilection for Japan nevertheless. And you?
Reply 2002
I have done it. I would so happy, if you are able to translate the Japanese text. I wanted to speak Japanese for a long time. I have even planned to live in Japan, but I have changed my mind. I have a little predilection for Japan nevertheless. And you?

I enjoyed the song :biggrin: Have you been to Japan before? Personally I really want to live there in the future :smile:
Original post by Ash S
I enjoyed the song :biggrin: Have you been to Japan before? Personally I really want to live there in the future :smile:

I understand it. Its an ear worm, isn't it? It seems that you speak Japanese well. Can you also write with Japanese letters?

No, I was not been in Japan so far. And I think, I don't be there in the future. It was a wish at that time to begin a new life in a new country far away from my native one. I wanted to forget all kinds of things in my life and I wanted also to "flee" from my people: families, friends and so on. But I have a new plan right now.
Reply 2004
はじめましてみんさん。
Reply 2005
Original post by Tim99
はじめまして みんさん。

初めまして ティムさん! 元気ですか?

(and use spaces occationally, or else TSR will replace some of your kana/kanji with those ?-diamonds...
Reply 2006
I understand it. Its an ear worm, isn't it? It seems that you speak Japanese well. Can you also write with Japanese letters?

No, I was not been in Japan so far. And I think, I don't be there in the future. It was a wish at that time to begin a new life in a new country far away from my native one. I wanted to forget all kinds of things in my life and I wanted also to "flee" from my people: families, friends and so on. But I have a new plan right now.

Ah I see. Hopefully someday you can visit Japan for a holiday though? :biggrin: Yeah I can write the letters too. The book 'Remembering the Kanji' helped a lot with learning to write them by hand.
Anyways, good night! みんなおやすみ~
I've finally committed to learning Japanese. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time and kept putting it off but I'm putting it off no longer.

Original post by miniteen
Ha, my turn to feel jealous. You're probably young! I feel old and wrinkly! I'm already 21 years old. >< It might not look like much on the internet, but when I think that next year I will be 22 it is so scary! My degree is almost done (one more year) and I'm thinking of either going to study Chinese at Qinghua for a year, getting a job in London, or doing some form of masters either in the States or at Oxbridge. But I literally have no clue. >< Time is catching up on me! Ah!

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'm 22 and it's my intention to start a degree next year. I always have a feeling that time is (or has) slipped by. So whenever you feel like this, think of this post and remember I probably feel more scared.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I've finally committed to learning Japanese. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time and kept putting it off but I'm putting it off no longer.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'm 22 and it's my intention to start a degree next year. I always have a feeling that time is (or has) slipped by. So whenever you feel like this, think of this post and remember I probably feel more scared.

Thank you. That actually did make me feel better for a moment. =)

I was wondering, where are you applying to?
Original post by Ash S
Ah I see. Hopefully someday you can visit Japan for a holiday though? :biggrin: Yeah I can write the letters too. The book 'Remembering the Kanji' helped a lot with learning to write them by hand.
Anyways, good night! みんなおやすみ~

No, I have enough from Japan. I'm not interest in anymore.

That sounds great. I guess that you have learn a lot yet. How long you are learning Japanese so far?
Original post by Scootaloo
Well Good Luck and Ganbatte! (Try your best!):biggrin:

I'll keep that in mind if I can't find it rar or zip, which I doubt because Rossetta would be massive but Argiatou Gozaimasu Blueray-san, anata wa tottemo yasashii (Thanks Blueray, you're really kind)

HOOT 2000th POST! (I know this isn't 4chan but I couldn't resist):bl:

Haha Rosetta stone is about 1.4gb and the Japanese disks are around the same :smile: * I think*
Thanks! :colondollar:
Reply 2011
Is Rosetta Stone really good at all? I have next to never heard any positive words about it...
Reply 2012
I've never heard any positive words about it either. I've checked out several videos of it too and it just looks terrible. You're not going to get good, native-sounding Japanese using it. Sorry to be so harsh but Rosetta Stone just a waste of time in my opinion.
Original post by Ash S
I've never heard any positive words about it either. I've checked out several videos of it too and it just looks terrible. You're not going to get good, native-sounding Japanese using it. Sorry to be so harsh but Rosetta Stone just a waste of time in my opinion.

Agreed, I tried the trial before, wasn't impressed. No matter what the best method is pen and paper. However if you really want to use a computer program I would recommend "Before you know it" or "iKnow".
Reply 2014
Hey,

I was wondering if you could add this to the OP. It's an excellent guide for grammar that approaches things from a Japanese perspective instead of the common ''memorise this, memorise that etc.''

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
Reply 2015
Hey I have all 3 Rosetta Stone series for Japanese, and I used it for ~30 mins before stopping, it is not worth it, there are far better ways of spending your time with Japanese imo.
Hi guys a quick question,

Does anyone know whether I can sit the JLPT N5 in Japan?

Its on december 2nd, I'm looking to go to Tokyo for a holiday but don't know whether I would be allowed to sit if I'm not a resident.

Thanks.
Original post by Sharpshooter
Hi guys a quick question,

Does anyone know whether I can sit the JLPT N5 in Japan?

Its on december 2nd, I'm looking to go to Tokyo for a holiday but don't know whether I would be allowed to sit if I'm not a resident.

Thanks.

I think you can, but you will have to pay a fee to get your certificate sent to you back in your home country I believe. Though I could be wrong.
However personally I don't think doing N5 is worth the cost :s-smilie:
Original post by miniteen
Thank you. That actually did make me feel better for a moment. =)

I was wondering, where are you applying to?

It's nice when my pain makes people feel better even if it's only for a brief moment :tongue:

I'm not entirely sure yet. I intend to study biology, or perhaps biochemistry.

What do you study?

To get this thread somewhat back on topic, I'll join the 'Let's Knock Rosetta Stone Group' and say I've never heard a positive thing said about it either.
ようこそ DrumChops-san! げんき?i?

こんにちわみんな-さん! Scootaloo-です
私は4ねんからひとりで日本語をべんきょうをしまして。
カタカナと KANJI よわからない <--(If there are mistakes, please tell me and blame google phonetic type!)

Where is everyone ? This thread is very quite these days...

Do you want to say you have been studying since 4 year ago? If so you should write 私は4ねん前から. Also, usually people don't use for べんきょうする.

Did you want to write よわらない? But I feel like that doesn't make sense "My katakana and kanji are not weak".

Original post by Sato
Hey guys, I've been studying Japanese over the summer, my plan is to have learnt all Jōyō kanji (governments 2042 general use kanji) by the end of August (already know ~500) and then hopefully get a bit of grammar & sentences done after that :smile: I find by self studying that I lack speaking practice a lot, any suggestions?

有難うルイースです

頑張ってよ!

With ありがとう I think the kanji is usually only used in business/really formal situations. I almost always see it written in hiragana - it gives it more of a warm feeling I think.

With speaking practice it's always very hard when you are starting out and not near any native speakers. Perhaps you could practice writing in sort of conversational style (like a blog) on a website like lang8 (http://lang-8.com/) then when you get better maybe try and find Japanese people in your area so you can practice with each other (English/Japanese) plus I'm sure you could find many Japanese people who would love to practice their English over skype.

Original post by stifa
The way I learn kanji reading is basically learning the kanji itself through the RtK method, and I learn the reading as a go along basically. For instance 人:

= HITO ひと
七人 = nanaNIN ニン
一人 = hitoRI
日本人 = nihonJIN ジン
and so on. I know there is another one for 人, but I haven't encountered it yet.
I have been through 906 kanji in RtK, but I don't know the reading on too many of them.

Kanji learning is by no means easy, but I feel that this is the easiest, and most fun, way of learning to read kanji.

I definitely agree with this! I also study the readings of the kanji alone, but often when I start learning a new kanji I already know a few of its readings from learning new vocabulary in kanji and kana.

Hahah I love that kanji (noisy is a punch of 3 women!!!) and kanji like that! Abstract compound kanji are the best like my favourite is

(mai, means every) which is the kanji + because "Every person has a mother"

That's a good way to remember the kanji, but not actually the true etymology! The top bit of that kanji didn't used to be at all but was actually a plant (the same radical that you see at the top of in 英語 [and also many others like flower 花])

One of the reasons it's so hard to guess what many kanji mean just by looking at it is because they have changed ALOT since they were first created. Even as recently as 1946 they were still changing the shape of kanji.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest