The Student Room Group

The Opening Ceremony

This is what is to be expected according to sources found on Wikipedia:

Held on 27 July 2012

Danny Boyle will be the artistic director who is co-ordinating and designing the opening ceremony.

The games will be officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

During the television coverage of the ceremony a short film starring Daniel Craig as secret agent James Bond will be screened.

Sir Paul McCartney has announced that he will perform at the close of the ceremony.

The ceremony will include a soundtrack based on iconic pieces of British music, including the theme tunes from Doctor Who and radio soap opera The Archers, pop and rock songs, and pieces of classical music.

A village cricket team,

12 horses

10 chickens

70 sheep

a model of Glastonbury Tor

two mosh pits

the largest harmonically-tuned bell in the world

a rain-producing cloud.

a Punjabi song for the opening ceremony.

According to custom, Greece will lead the parade, followed by other competing countries in alphabetical order and finally the host nation Great Britain.

"Survival", a single released by the English band Muse, will be the official song of the Olympics.

If you have any more information regarding the Opening Ceremony on the 27th, please post it here.

Scroll to see replies

Here's the song:

I'm so excited :biggrin:
Starlondon 2012 beat themed " i believe

http://youtu.be/jXNwJV5diww
Reply 3
Original post by Miracle Day
Here's the song:

I'm so excited :biggrin:

I think the song isn't bad actually, which is surprising because I found Muse's latest album a bit depressing.
Reply 4
Original post by Dobrzynski
I think the song isn't bad actually, which is surprising because I found Muse's latest album a bit depressing.

Is it the official song of Olympic game in London?...fantastic video.
Reply 5
Original post by scarletgirl
Is it the official song of Olympic game in London?...fantastic video.

Yeah, they will supposedly play it as the athletes go out into the stadium.
Reply 6
There's a lot more than that, not going to spoil it since we are meant to "savethesuprise" but:

-It's in phases, and only about 10% of it is countryside stuff it's actually much better than the public perception

-Lot's of music and famous references

-Lot's of dancing

-Really good special effects
Reply 7
There was a documentary on last night about it, apparently it's going to be done on computer so as not to trigger the SAMs the army have set up.
Reply 8
Yeah, they will supposedly play it as the athletes go out into the stadium.

WOW good choice eh...
Who's excited for the 100 UK millionaires and Euromillions £105 million draw?

Oh and also that Olympics thing...

But in all seriousness, I'm actually quite excited for the Olympics. I know many people are being typically British and complaining about it but I think it will be a very exciting couple of months for Great Britain.
Reply 10
[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19000273[/video]

Here is a sneaky peak video of the opening ceremony.

Negger please quote me telling why you think I deserved the -1 for this comment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can't wait. Though I've been watching the opening ceremony for Beijing and don't think that London can top it.

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19000273[/video]

Here is a sneaky peak video of the opening ceremony.

Negger please quote me telling why you think I deserved the -1 for this comment.

There, balanced it out.
(edited 11 years ago)
being a londoner, i have a feeling the opening ceremony is going to be absolutely cringe worthy and make the UK look like a laughing stock to the rest of the world.

one of my parents works in the NHS, and apparently they are going to have NHS beds being paraded around with fake patients in them waving at the crowd. I mean wtf??

couldnt they have done something good. i like danny boyle but this sounds like it will be a total farce.

they couldve just had romeo and juliet set to some music by handel or something.

(romeo and juliet is a universal story that transcends language and cultural barriers)
Reply 13
It's going to be odd. But lets face it, it has to be. We will get compared to china, which had an awesome opening ceremony. We had to do something radically different
Reply 14
I don't get why they don't just have a huge firework display and that's it, I don't get why they're making it look like the countryside, that isn't specifically British, there's countryside in America, New Zealand and loads of other countries, they're wasting so much money.
Reply 15
Original post by EmilyAl
I don't get why they don't just have a huge firework display and that's it, I don't get why they're making it look like the countryside, that isn't specifically British, there's countryside in America, New Zealand and loads of other countries, they're wasting so much money.

Lol, good point, one thing we British can do well is a good firework display! And I'm just praying to be shocked, can't wait for it but its hard to see how a ceremony with actual real live sheep in it is going to wow the world. Though I've heard only good things about the rehearsals, so who knows Danny Boyle might actually pull it off!
Reply 16
Can't say what the show is all about, but
a) We will not be a laughing stock
b) No Cringing
c) Its not Beijing, so don't expect anything you have ever seen before
d) I was married to a GOSH nurse, and she will love that bit
" And I'm just praying to be shocked," You will be!
Don't judge it if you haven't seen it.
You currently only have opinions from what the press have said. They also haven't seen it - so they will do their best to complain about it.

It is a very British countryside, you'll just have to wait to see it.
Reply 18
All I'm hearing is that it's supposed to be wicked! Going to an opening ceremony party and can't wait.
I've not seen a single person who has seen the performance say that it's terrible, cringeworthy or embarrassing. And I doubt they've all been bribed to say positive things. :wink:

I can't wait to see it, I think it's going to blow everyone's socks off.

Quick Reply

Latest