Mathematics
Further Mathematics
History
French
Physics
Chemistry
Reply 41
Original post by A-Dog
I would love to do it, but only private schools round here do it, so I can't afford to go to a private school and follow my heart, which is really upsetting

yeah i know. that kind of held me back,too. but then my stepfather said he's going to pay for it if that is what i really want and i'm going to have to work very hard because he expects top results.
so why don't you call a few independent schools and ask about scholarships? you sound like you have good grades, so why don't try?
how far exactly is the nearest school that offers the IB? maybe you could get up early and go there by train or something.
i really hope everything works out for you:smile:
Reply 42
Original post by shadab786ahmed
IB Vs Six A Levels...

My six A levels are/will be:
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
History
French
Physics
Chemistry

You'd have to drop Further Maths to do English as it's required.
Original post by Flip1
You'd have to drop Further Maths to do English as it's required.

No those are the a levels I am doing :tongue: which is better six a level or IB? :P
No those are the a levels I am doing :tongue: which is better six a level or IB? :P

Don't know which is better but just add an EE, TOK and CAS and you're level with the IB.
Reply 45
Also, define "better". :tongue:
Original post by Flip1
Also, define "better". :tongue:

Better in terms of preparation and reputation :smile: which combination would be more respected?
Reply 47
Doing 6 A-levels, particularly the ones you mentioned, and doing well in them is very impressive; however, so is performing in the 40s in IB. Where you planning on applying to university?
Original post by Flip1
Doing 6 A-levels, particularly the ones you mentioned, and doing well in them is very impressive; however, so is performing in the 40s in IB. Where you planning on applying to university?

I'm only in year ten, but I'm studying my history and maths AS so I'll have them next year which allows me to take all six full A2s :biggrin: I hope for all A*s maybe half and half A*s and As...
I would like to study Chemical Engineering at Cambridge! :biggrin: via. Natural Sciences but I'm also interested in Chemical Engineering with a Year Abroad in Imperial! :biggrin: any thoughts?
I'm only in year ten, but I'm studying my history and maths AS so I'll have them next year which allows me to take all six full A2s :biggrin: I hope for all A*s maybe half and half A*s and As...
I would like to study Chemical Engineering at Cambridge! :biggrin: via. Natural Sciences but I'm also interested in Chemical Engineering with a Year Abroad in Imperial! :biggrin: any thoughts?

I have one. You seem like a very ambitious and capable student but even so, why would you take 6 A-levels?
Original post by StockholmBoy
I have one. You seem like a very ambitious and capable student but even so, why would you take 6 A-levels?

I really love them all! :biggrin: mathematics and further mathematics are amazing! And a passion :biggrin: as with chemistry, physics is really interesting and I'd like it and it'll help with my degree! French is also a passion! :biggrin: I want to learn it and use it and history is an interest and as I'm doing it early I don't see the harm! :biggrin:
Reply 51
It's great that you're so motivated; however, just make sure that taking all these subjects doesn't hinder you in terms of getting the grades. :smile:
Original post by Flip1
It's great that you're so motivated; however, just make sure that taking all these subjects doesn't hinder you in terms of getting the grades. :smile:

It won't, I'll be hoping to get:
Mathematics A*
Further Mathematics A/A* (hopefully the latter)
Chemistry A* (Same scenario as below)
Physics A* (but I hear coursework may lose me marks, but I think I quite like the coursework elements)
History A (will have the AS by year eleven, sat one exam this year, so that may be lower)
French A/A* (I think it may be hard for an A* though...)

I know you might think I'm being unrealistic, but it fits perfectly due to the completion of 2 ASs early. It'll be like this:
Year 11: History and Mathematics AS
Year 12: History and Mathematics A2, Chemistry, Physics, French and Further Maths AS.
Year 13: Chemistry, Physics, French and Further Maths A2

IF if becomes too much however I could always drop one, but the thought pains me :frown:
Reply 53
Don't know which is better but just add an EE, TOK and CAS and you're level with the IB.

You do realize that 6 A Levels are roughly 6 HL. The normal IB is only 3 HL + 3 SL. A normal A Level candidate usually appears for 3 A Levels + 1 AS which is roughly 3 HL + 1 SL. Thus the normal IB candidate only really appears for an extra 2 SL subject wise compared to the A Levels. 6 A Levels would indeed be much harder then the IB if you follow my logic.
Most people doing IB take it for granted.

Leaving revision to the last minute.

Which is the reason why a lot of them score low points.
Original post by ZerofeX
You do realize that 6 A Levels are roughly 6 HL. The normal IB is only 3 HL + 3 SL. A normal A Level candidate usually appears for 3 A Levels + 1 AS which is roughly 3 HL + 1 SL. Thus the normal IB candidate only really appears for an extra 2 SL subject wise compared to the A Levels. 6 A Levels would indeed be much harder then the IB if you follow my logic.

Not necessarily because an IB students would have to remember everything for all his or her subjects during the 2 years and show it all during the same exam session while this guys A level plan is paned out over 3 years with 3 separate exam years.

This is like doing 2-3 IB subjects a year for 3 years. If you follow my logic this sounds a lot easier than 6 subjects tested in 1 exam session.
Reply 56
Not necessarily because an IB students would have to remember everything for all his or her subjects during the 2 years and show it all during the same exam session while this guys A level plan is paned out over 3 years with 3 separate exam years.

This is like doing 2-3 IB subjects a year for 3 years. If you follow my logic this sounds a lot easier than 6 subjects tested in 1 exam session.

A Levels are actually 2 years aswell. Almost no one takes 3 years unless they fail/wish to resit/xx. This guy is a special case and quite rare which mostly work out the way he intends it to. I mean sure hes learning 2 A Levels a year early which is mostly along with his GCSE exams. No one does this because universities dont really care what do outside the 2 year period. His grades for the 2 early A Levels wont be included in his offer and they will only consider the 2 year period. Also hes really young and doesn't know what hes getting himself into. I mean I'm sure half of TSR planned to do xxx A Levels while they were having such an easy time at GCSE. He hasnt even completed or learnt a single AS module yet in almost all his subjects so his plans are quite ambitious to say the least considering he has no idea how hard the content is going to be.

Secondly, the IB is focused at an international body as a whole so it would be appropriate to use the International A Level focus aswell. Cambridge International is the official A Level board for internationals and UK aswell if they want to. You have to remember everything for all your subjects in this case aswell and show it in the same exam session ( usually at the end of 2 years but 1.5 years is also possible if you feel up to it). Its exactly the same as the IB in that way. So you see when its focused at an international audience there really isnt that much of a difference in them.
(edited 11 years ago)
I guess it depends in what you prefer. I have next to no interest in broadening my general knowledge, or in doing subjects that I don't enjoy, so I prefer A levels since I can 'specalise' a little more, if I can put it like that.

However, I'm sure those all-round students who are okay or good at everything will enjoy IBs as much as I enjoy A levels.

I agree. Why would you do such a thing? A-levels aren't everything. The moment you do more than 5, no one cares. Cambridge especially would rather see breadth in extra-curricular reading, attending lectures etc.

I really love them all! :biggrin: mathematics and further mathematics are amazing! And a passion :biggrin: as with chemistry, physics is really interesting and I'd like it and it'll help with my degree! French is also a passion! :biggrin: I want to learn it and use it and history is an interest and as I'm doing it early I don't see the harm! :biggrin:

You use :biggrin: too much :biggrin:

Mathematics A*
Physics A* (but I hear coursework may lose me marks, but I think I quite like the coursework elements)
History A (will have the AS by year eleven, sat one exam this year, so that may be lower)

I know you might think I'm being unrealistic, but it fits perfectly due to the completion of 2 ASs early. It'll be like this:
Year 12: History and Mathematics A2, Chemistry, Physics, French and Further Maths AS.

IF if becomes too much however I could always drop one, but the thought pains me :frown:

Your year 12 is going to be hell. I do Maths A2, Physics, German, Economics, Further Maths AS and although I expect A*AAAA doing History too would have been a nightmare, and utterly pointless too as it would have left me with very little time to pursue other things like debating, reading, preparation for uni application etc.

History is irrelevant to your course so I would leave it after AS and carry on as you planned, which would be pretty much identical to what I did/am doing. Use your spare time to actually develop your character and interests, not just swotting over a textbook.
Reply 59
Mathematics A*

Be careful not to disadvantage yourself by taking subjects too early and needing to retake modules - especially with maths, there's an extent to which you'll just not be able to grasp harder concepts at a younger age. Remember that taking additional subjects is no advantage at Cambridge, only relevant subjects are considered, nor is taking subjects early, whereas having to take a high number of retakes can substantially disadvantage you.

Otherwise, enjoy and good luck.

P.S. As far as Cambridge are concerned, 4 A-levels is better than IB, let alone 6. Most people advertise IB as more rigorous but Cambridge admissions tutors don't agree, requiring significantly higher scores as their standard offer. (A*AA at A-level vs 42 and 777/776 in highers at IB)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest