The Student Room Group

I really do not want to go to my graduation

My mother and grandmother want to come to the ceremony (my dad doesn't give a **** :biggrin:) ... but I really don't want to go to it. I hate things like this; I can't stand pompous ceremonies, I don't like it when people are looking at me, I know the room is hot and I overheat really quickly...

I don't know what to do. I don't want to upset them, but I also really do not want to go. I don't know why it's not enough that I've graduated.
Reply 1
If you don't want to go, that should be your choice and they should accept that regardless of their own view on it. This is about you, after all. You could always suggest as a compromise to do something special as a family on the day though so they can celebrate it, if that's what they're going to miss? Fancy dinner or something?

Also, with regards to the people looking at you, your 'part' in the ceremony will actually be extremely short, so I wouldn't worry about that if you end up going.
Reply 2
Original post by Flotographer
My mother and grandmother want to come to the ceremony (my dad doesn't give a **** :biggrin:) ... but I really don't want to go to it. I hate things like this; I can't stand pompous ceremonies, I don't like it when people are looking at me, I know the room is hot and I overheat really quickly...

I don't know what to do. I don't want to upset them, but I also really do not want to go. I don't know why it's not enough that I've graduated.

Yeah I understand, I am EXACTLY the same about ceremonies etc. I always try to think of really good excuses like; if I get run over or if I 'accidently' poison myself or if I'm lucky enough to get some life threatening illness then I won't have to go. Then I realise that a couple of hours at some pompous ceremony would probably be preferable to any of my excuses.

Ten years from now you'll look at your graduation picture and be really glad that you made the effort.
Don't go then, it's an event that's about you, not them.
Reply 4
Do it for the folks, it's not as if you have to make a speech or anything :rolleyes:
if you're going to overheat - wear a borat manking under the road.
It's entirely up to you, Although you might regret not going later on.

I didn't go for my bachelors or Masters graduation as I didn't see the point. However I have been told by my friends on my current course that I will be dragged kicking and screaming to this one a I suppose I'll go.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Reply 6
Original post by Flotographer

Don't go, why not upset them, you mum only brought you up, feed you, clothe you and look after you. What do you care ? It's your life, you can do what you like. Let's hope you will be paying your own keep after you graduated.

To be serious I can tell you it's nothing pompous about the ceremony.

For god's sake. you will be on stage for less than 1 min. They will announce every graduates and you are queuing to go up the stage, if your mum blinks, she will miss you.
Reply 7
You are literally on stage for 3 seconds. Thats it!

The only annoying thing are the constant photos, but you can 'conveniently' be in the loo or whatever for those!

I reckon you should go, take a few photos and then get out as soon as you are done - the lingering around afterwards is only necessary if you really want to see some people before leaving.
This sounds like anxiety!
Go for their sakes - it's a couple of hours out of your life for what is a big moment for them.

Latest