The Student Room Group

Have many medical students got into medicine without doing the EPQ?

I was wondering if I should do the EPQ, or if it may be too much work.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have many medical students got into medicine without doing the EPQ?

Many have.
Reply 2
A lot in fact I would bet the vast majority do. If you think you can cope with it and have a subject in mind for it then I say go for it. If not don't. There is no point doing it for the sake of it you will find it difficult motivating yourself.
Reply 3
If they don't ask for it, you don't need it. Not doing an EPQ won't jeopardise your chances. If you want to do one because it interests you then it's totally up to you.
Reply 4
None of the medical schools require the EPQ, although some will accept it in lieu of a 4th AS. Not all schools/colleges offer it and it's not possible to do it privately, so many people don't do it.
It's entirely optional, whenever I mentioned it at interview none of them even knew what it was, but they did seem quite interested in it. I'd definitely recommend doing it if you think you can manage it.
Well, I'm a medical student and I ask this with genuine sincerity: what is the EPQ?
Reply 7
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Well, I'm a medical student and I ask this with genuine sincerity: what is the EPQ?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/projects/extended-project-epq.php
The vast majority have got in without an EPQ since they were introduced.
Reply 9
Not many people at Medical schools up and down the country even know what an EPQ is.
Reply 10
I had no idea what the EPQ was until I clicked on this thread. And I got into medical school. If you want to do it though, go for it, but you definitely don't have to get in!
Original post by Sophie1716
I was wondering if I should do the EPQ, or if it may be too much work.

My advice would be: don't do it - focus on your A2 grades.

I haven't found a medical school that gives any credit for an EPQ (I didn't consider them all, of course), but my impression is that it will not help you get in, and the time you spend on it could detract from other studies. If you were borderline, I guess it might help, but if you think you might be borderline, all the more reason to focus on A2 grades.

There is an argument that it may help you develop self-learning skills which will be useful once you're in Uni. If you think it would be useful in that regard, go for it. Remember that you can always drop it if it starts to get in the way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I've got in without even knowing what this is? My first guess would be something like a NVQ? Second guess would be, a pointless a level like general studies/critical thinking? Hmm...
Reply 13
Original post by tpxvs
I've got in without even knowing what this is? My first guess would be something like a NVQ? Second guess would be, a pointless a level like general studies/critical thinking? Hmm...

They are both pretty far off the mark.
95% do without. It wont help you in anyway of your application, dont do it.
Reply 15
Original post by Richyp22
95% do without. It wont help you in anyway of your application, dont do it.

It would show independent learning and also give you something to talk about in interviews not to mention it is very very interesting.

Just because 95% do without doesn't mean that OP shouldn't do it.
Original post by . .
It would show independent learning and also give you something to talk about in interviews not to mention it is very very interesting.

Just because 95% do without doesn't mean that OP shouldn't do it.

Im sure it would be very relevant if he was doing biomedical sciences, Theres more important things to have on a personal statement.
Only place it will help you is barts, since you get some UCAS points for it.
Reply 18
Original post by Richyp22
Im sure it would be very relevant if he was doing biomedical sciences, Theres more important things to have on a personal statement.

You seem to think everything a medical applicant does should help them in their medicine application in some way or another which is not the case.
Original post by . .
You seem to think everything a medical applicant does should help them in their medicine application in some way or another which is not the case.

Everything a medical applicant does should help them if its going on their Personal statement?Fact.

If its not going on Ps then oviously it doesnt need to help them.

Quick Reply

Latest