The Student Room Group

Msc Management - Bath or Bristol ? URGENT!!!

Hi guys,
I got offers from
University of Bath - Msc Management
University of Bristol - Msc Management
University of Exeter - Msc International Management
For fall september 2012. I have very few days left for my deadline .

Can u guys help me out in choosing the best among these? I am looking for good job oppurtunities after I finish my course . So job is my first priority !! So far what I have found out is Bath is good for my course but Bristol is better than bath as a whole university . Any advice and suggestions are welcome . Plz help me, to choose the right university among these !!! Looking forward to hear from u guys .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bath. It has better direct industry links than Bristol.
Reply 2
ok thanks buddy. but bristol is ranked higher than bath?
heard Bristol is an ivy league univ? any suggestions here?
i am an international student from INDIA. so more information about the univ would help me.
Reply 3
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management-2011 puts Bath at 44th. I think Bristol is a really good business school though.
Reply 4
I checked out that link too . But wats surprising is , Bristol is not even mentioned there ? Plus Warwick comes below bath . Pretty surprised . So how good is Bristol then? Bcoz if i login to their website , there s no rankings displayed in their site unlike bath . I am an international student so got to judge by Wat I see in their site .
Reply 5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Bristol#Academic_reputation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Bath#Rankings

Bath doing better on national rankings and Bristol doing better on International. Dunno about Management, FT's rankings are the most important in business imo - and Bath was ahead there. Use Google!
Reply 6
Omg. I have the same exact offers from all the unis you mentioned. Also got warwick. now torn between bristol and warwick. Which uni did u choose?
Reply 7
Warwick for sure...
Reply 8
so are you saying warwick is regarded higher than bristol, in terms of reputation? I understand that Bristol is an old universities and was once at par with Oxbridge. I am defo leaning towards Warwick, but since I am an international student, Bristol is well known in my country than Warwick. And warwick did very poor in international ranking-THE ranking. Now I am in doubt because I am afraid I ll make a mistake by letting go of Bristol for Warwick.
Reply 9
Original post by Jayswithluv
so are you saying warwick is regarded higher than bristol, in terms of reputation? I understand that Bristol is an old universities and was once at par with Oxbridge. I am defo leaning towards Warwick, but since I am an international student, Bristol is well known in my country than Warwick. And warwick did very poor in international ranking-THE ranking. Now I am in doubt because I am afraid I ll make a mistake by letting go of Bristol for Warwick.

Warwick is definitely a league about Bristol.
Reply 10
They're all excellent offers. Speaking as someone who's looked at the quality of the graduates from the Business schools in Bath and Bristol in the past few years for recruitment purposes - the Bath graduates do seem to have more direct exposure to industry and current practise (yes, we do make it up as we go along...)

Either way, you'd be in very close distance of each university wherever you go, and there's nothing stopping you collaborating with folks at the other institution.

Afraid I've no experience of Warwick other than sifting through prospectuses in my younger days about a decade ago.

Oh... and don't use the term Ivy League over here, mate --- folk are just going to take the piss!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Ignore the elitism on here. They are all perfectly fine universities to go to. However fine university does not necessarily mean fine department. Therefore rather than bothering yourself with overall league tables, check career progression (no point going somewhere higher up the league table if they don't have the industry links/cant prepare you as well for the world of work), departmental research prestige (not useful for undergrad per se but gives you a flavour of how respected the department is in academic circles), student satisfaction, course content (does it suit you?) and of course mundane things like do you like the look of the place?
Original post by .ACS.

U meant above right?
Original post by .ACS.

U meant above right?
Reply 14
Original post by Jayswithluv
U meant above right?

Yes, I meant a league above. Sorry.
Reply 15
In terms of business edu, it is not even much of a choice, really. Warwick is better regarded and higher ranked where ever it's worth looking, most importantly by the powerhouse FT, where Bristol is not even listed.

Btw, really, check wikipedia. They have listings for the rankings, both national and international, of most unis. So if you go by rankings, just compare them all!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by .ACS.
Yes, I meant a league above. Sorry.

Thanks!
Original post by gudjbr
In terms of business edu, it is not even much of a choice, really. Warwick is better regarded and higher ranked where ever it's worth looking, most importantly by the powerhouse FT, where Bristol is not even listed.

Btw, really, check wikipedia. They have listings for the rankings, both national and international, of most unis. So if you go by rankings, just compare them all!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Im thinking of the same thing. But recently as I was trying to apply for a government scholarship, they listed a table of top 50 universities in the world (which means whoever secured a place in one of the unis, they will have better luck in getting the scholarship) and I was shocked to see that Warwick was not in the list. The list was made based on Times Higher Education Ranking which made me wonder is it the most trustworthy ranking since it is used by the gov. I used to ignore THE rank because of its credibility since I saw the post of the THE editor saying that Warwick was down on the list because they did not supply enough information. This has perplexed me enough to question my decision on choosing Warwick over Bristol.
Reply 18
if you take the gritty urbaneness of manchester, and mix it with the academia of oxbridge - you get somewhere near bristol. imagine, if you will, a drug-fueled after-party, on a punt. welcome to bristol
Reply 19
Original post by drugs
if you take the gritty urbaneness of manchester, and mix it with the academia of oxbridge - you get somewhere near bristol. imagine, if you will, a drug-fueled after-party, on a punt. welcome to bristol

Gritty urbaneness of Manchester...bristol? There is nothing gritty about the place, and that should be taken as a compliment

As for the op. Three great institutions reputation alone, I'd say Warwick was up there business school wise. Pure academia, bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending