The Student Room Group

Oxbridge ever been in clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cephalus
Cam :biggrin: I take it you applied for Ox?

Yeah, offer from Oxford. It just felt right, plus Ox care a lot less about AS grades which worked in my favour. What subject didi you apply for?
Reply 21
Original post by Chaofan88
Yeah, offer from Oxford. It just felt right, plus Ox care a lot less about AS grades which worked in my favour. What subject didi you apply for?

Maths. You?
Reply 22
Original post by JordanAlexander
' I was just wondering if Cambridge or Oxford has ever been in clearing? If so, have they ever had good subjects?

Try asking the admissions offices and see what they have to say :wink:
Maths. You?

Oh goodness, good luck with the grades and STEP then! I applied for biosciences (Cambridge doesn't offer it so that made my decision a lot easier) :colone:
Reply 24
Original post by Chaofan88
Oh goodness, good luck with the grades and STEP then! I applied for biosciences (Cambridge doesn't offer it so that made my decision a lot easier) :colone:

Lol thanks yeah STEP is really haunting me. It's like some days I think I did enough and other days I didn't. And aah I can see why you picked Oxford. Cam is so dodgy for things like that, Oxford has the Sciences nailed IMO. Natural Sciences doesn't sound too appealing. And good luck to you too =]
Lol thanks yeah STEP is really haunting me. It's like some days I think I did enough and other days I didn't. And aah I can see why you picked Oxford. Cam is so dodgy for things like that, Oxford has the Sciences nailed IMO. Natural Sciences doesn't sound too appealing. And good luck to you too =]

Yeah, STEP sounds like a nightmare! Most of my Summer exams haunt me tbh. Hahaa, natural sciences- it's like they actually want you to be good at other sciences other than bio or smth stupid like that :rolleyes: T
Reply 26
' I was just wondering if Cambridge or Oxford has ever been in clearing? If so, have they ever had good subjects?

In all honesty I would think the likelihood of Oxford or Cambridge ever going into Clearing would be about 0. They are massively oversubscribed institutions so they have no need to go into Clearing. Besides, since Clearing has, until recently, been the preserve of ex-polytechnics and, not to sugar-coat it, rubbish uni's, it would doubtless damage Oxford and Cambridge's collective prestige if they went into Clearing. People choose to go to Oxbridge because they're the most prestigious and highly-regarded universities in the land, and so long as people perceive those 2 institutions as being the best, they are unlikely to enter Clearing because there will always be strong demand for places at those universities.
Reply 27
i was told that angalo and norse studies or something silly like that went into clearing a couple of years back.
Original post by SebCross
Besides, since Clearing has, until recently, been the preserve of ex-polytechnics and, not to sugar-coat it, rubbish uni's,

Sorry to disappoint you, but clearing existed for 20 years before polytechnics even had a centralised admissions system.
Original post by whiteing
i was told that angalo and norse studies or something silly like that went into clearing a couple of years back.

Afraid not; urban myth.

When Cambridge to do a BEd at Homerton back in the Jurassic Era, it would sometimes be in clearing.
Yeah I thought neither of them would ever go in clearing. I never knew Cambridge was higher than Oxford till yestersay, thought they was the same.

League tables always need one to be higher than the other, in order for the table to look chronological.

But in the real world, Oxford and Cambridge have and always will be equals.

Even though one department might be stronger than the other, overall they are equal :sexface:
Reply 31
Not yet they haven't. I believe they just fill any spare spaces with those who narrowly missed their offers or who showed potential in interviews etc. It may even be the case that if they can't find anybody they want from the people who missed their offers, they just have leave those spaces- but I can't vouch for this. They have no obligation to take people who missed their offers, but I think they do have to have a certain number enrolled to get government funding or something like that, but again I'm not sure precisely what that is.
Reply 32
To be totally honest, I highly doubt Oxbridge would have clearing places, as people have already said, they are massively oversubscribed, and would presumably hand out extra places to people who've just missed their offer, based on interview scores etc.

However, this is the first academic year where fees have been put to £9000, so maybe times are changing? Unfortunately, I think higher fees are probably more of an incentive to apply to Oxbridge - the old "if I'm gonna' be paying 9 grand, I want to go somewhere worthwhile", so they will probably have even more applicants, but will be interesting to see. :tongue:

And c'mon people aha, I think both are brilliant Universities, hell, if there were clearing places at either, I'd snap one up quicker than you can say "league table". :biggrin:
I dont think that Oxbridge participate in adjustment either.
Original post by nulli tertius
Afraid not; urban myth.

When Cambridge to do a BEd at Homerton back in the Jurassic Era, it would sometimes be in clearing.

Back in those Jurassic times, Homerton wasn't part of the university, it was a separate institution.
Reply 35
Original post by nulli tertius
Sorry to disappoint you, but clearing existed for 20 years before polytechnics even had a centralised admissions system.

Fair enough. I was speaking from a position of total ignorance since I have not needed to use Clearing.
The Independent yesterday said that, in the current admissions cycle, Oxford and Cambridge between them have rejected 12000 applicants predicted at least one A*.
Reply 37

They rather be under-subscribed than take on candidates that do not meet their criteria - words from an lecturer I once met from Cambridge
Looks like it neither shall ever be in clearing then lol.
Original post by TenOfThem
I think that depends very much on the subject

And on the ranking you are looking at

Not when pretty much all major international tables rank Cambridge higher than Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending