The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alaska.
If my weekly rent is 86 pounds, yeah basically from the rent alone I am over that mark. Also, my parents give me some money to live with so I can eat and stuff :biggrin: I am not worrying about that either :wink: you should keep it in mind over the summer months though, when we go home :wink:

Oh right.. the summer. I guess we should pay with our Scottish card three times every summer month wherever we are.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by KiaraMarissa
x

Hmm, all my information comes from a Finnish student in Glasgow. Wonder if she knows about this. :dontknow: I don't understand why the fees stand in this modern day though, I mean, are there actually people manually sorting the transactions or where the heck is the fee going? :s-smilie:

The summer months are going to be a tad difficult though, how am I going to perform transactions then? :eek4:
Reply 282
Original post by alaska.
I totally agree with you. I'd like to go with rather RBS, Natwest or Bank of Scotland as well. Mostly with RBS. My boyfriend told me that to whatever cash machine he goes, he doesn't have to pay. That's a big plus for me. Natwest says they don't charge but other banks might. So they don't give you the guarantee.

Assuming you mean within the UK then all of the big banks are part of a scheme allowing you to use each other's machines to withdraw money without charge. Some places - such as small shops - have private cash machines which you have to pay to use but these will specifically warn you beforehand. Supermarkets often have their own branded cash machines which are free.
Reply 283
Original post by FinnLassie
Hmm, all my information comes from a Finnish student in Glasgow. Wonder if she knows about this. :dontknow: I don't understand why the fees stand in this modern day though, I mean, are there actually people manually sorting the transactions or where the heck is the fee going? :s-smilie:

The summer months are going to be a tad difficult though, how am I going to perform transactions then? :eek4:

I guess you just have to use your card back home then, doesn't have to be a big transaction I guess. 10 pounds or so would be fine :wink: At least that is what I understood from that :wink:

Oh right.. the summer. I guess we should pay with our Scottish card three times every summer month wherever we are.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't matter too much for example if you're on holiday and you use your Scottish card instead of your home country's one.

Original post by Norton1
Assuming you mean within the UK then all of the big banks are part of a scheme allowing you to use each other's machines to withdraw money without charge. Some places - such as small shops - have private cash machines which you have to pay to use but these will specifically warn you beforehand. Supermarkets often have their own branded cash machines which are free.

Ah, that's great news :smile: I didn't find any information about it! So thanks a lot!

OTHER NEWS: I phoned up SAAS today again to check with them whether I will be funded or not and I WILL BE FUNDED :woohoo: :yep::yeah:! She sent me my award notice via email as well. So glad that everything is sorted now :smile:
I have to dig up my award notice from somewhere... And make a folder for all the files I need to take with me to Scotland! I'm really unorganised when it comes to papers. :biggrin:
Reply 285
Looks like we can't get a STUDENT current account :nooo::no:

I've been on webchat with RBS and some lady explained that to me, that we can't apply for Student Account (because we haven't been resident in the UK for the last three years) but any other Current Account (that still don't charge you too much I think) and we have to apply for overdrafts then. But other than that it seems to be okay.
Original post by alaska.
Looks like we can't get a STUDENT current account :nooo::no:

I've been on webchat with RBS and some lady explained that to me, that we can't apply for Student Account (because we haven't been resident in the UK for the last three years) but any other Current Account (that still don't charge you too much I think) and we have to apply for overdrafts then. But other than that it seems to be okay.

Hmm, I have to do some asking around, but as far as I remember some Finnish folk I know do have student accounts in Scotland. I'll come back to this later.

// Haha I'm actually doing the webchat right now and the guy is saying "can't help you, only the local branch can tell you what you can have".

And, yeah, I just need to remember to use my Scottish debit card when I'm in Finland. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 287
What my teacher answered according to my question what bank I should opt for:
'I needed a bank in 2005 for my children and the only one offering online banking at the time was Natwest, where we (my children and I) stayed up until now.
It is important that you ask, when you are opening a bankaccount, if it is possible to administrate international bank transfers.
The bank transfers themselves are not that cheap they will cost you something.'

Now what is applicable for Luxembourg, but whether I'm not sure if it exists in the same form elsewhere:
'An alternative to rather expensive bank transfers is to ask for a Prepaid VISA card. You can recharge it with money in Luxembourg (your hometown) and only have to pay for every recharge about 50 cents (euro), then you're able to withdraw that money on any cash machine in Scotland (which will cost little charges) and put it on your Scottish bank account. I think this is the cheapest way.
Prepaid VISA cards can be used to withdraw money from any cash machine having the VISA icon printed on and you can even pay with it in shops. Expenses are low and you can't spend more money than you you put on your card.'

There may be some mistakes in the text, please don't blame me for that, it's kind of hard to translate from Luxembourgish to English:wink:
Gaah, I guess the uni has received my Occupancy Agreement as I've heard nothing from them... Finally sent my student funding application, still need to collect some documents and send them out.

I have to get used to sleeping on a smaller bed again, my own bed is almost a double bed. :tongue: I also need to buy a Finnish flag for my room hahaha :biggrin:
To all the international students:
I've been looking into health insurance that will cover me while I'm at home in the Netherlands and when I'm at uni. You can request a European Health Insurance Card, which ensures that the health insurance from your home country will cover you when you are in a different European country, even over longer periods of time.
However, I won't be able to have the Dutch national Health Insurance if I have a job in the Scotland. I will need to insure at a private company since I'm planning on finding a parttime job. In the Netherlands there are insurance companies that cater to Dutch students that are studying abroad, so I will be choosing one of those. I'm thinking this will apply to all European countries so I thought I'd share :wink:

Oh and btw, I received my physics grade in case anyone cares. I got a 7.5 which is way over the grade Strathclyde required :biggrin: I will send in all of my documents once I receive my certificate and they should confirm my unconditional shortly after that since I met all the requirements :smile:
Original post by steph.b
x

The VISA card idea seems pretty good. Although, you can also withdraw pounds at ATMs in the UK with your normal (European) account. I've done that plenty of times. My bank charges €2,- + 1% exchange rate if you want to withdraw pounds in the UK. Then you can deposit those pounds in your Scottish account (like you suggested). I'm assuming depositing money is free? If it's not, I think it won't cost much. I think this method is really good.

I have to get used to sleeping on a smaller bed again, my own bed is almost a double bed. :tongue: I also need to buy a Finnish flag for my room hahaha :biggrin:

Haha, I actually have a loft bed at home which I hate! I can't wait to finally have a normal bed again.
Hmm, I might get a Dutch flag as well and show some national pride.
I've been looking into health insurance that will cover me while I'm at home in the Netherlands and when I'm at uni. You can request a European Health Insurance Card, which ensures that the health insurance from your home country will cover you when you are in a different European country, even over longer periods of time.
However, I won't be able to have the Dutch national Health Insurance if I have a job in the Scotland. I will need to insure at a private company since I'm planning on finding a parttime job. In the Netherlands there are insurance companies that cater to Dutch students that are studying abroad, so I will be choosing one of those. I'm thinking this will apply to all European countries so I thought I'd share :wink:

Oh and btw, I received my physics grade in case anyone cares. I got a 7.5 which is way over the grade Strathclyde required :biggrin: I will send in all of my documents once I receive my certificate and they should confirm my unconditional shortly after that since I met all the requirements :smile:
Original post by steph.b
x

The VISA card idea seems pretty good. Although, you can also withdraw pounds at ATMs in the UK with your normal (European) account. I've done that plenty of times. My bank charges €2,- + 1% exchange rate if you want to withdraw pounds in the UK. Then you can deposit those pounds in your Scottish account (like you suggested). I'm assuming depositing money is free? If it's not, I think it won't cost much. Seems like a good method.

Haha, I actually have a loft bed at home which I hate! I can't wait to finally have a normal bed again.
x

I'm just going to register myself to the nearest NHS clinic as soon as I get to the country. I need to apply to stay in the Finnish health care system though, but it's not a big bother. :yes:

Not that worried about the fact that the bed is only 90cm wide, but only 190cm long? Sheez, thankfully I'm not a 2m guy :tongue:
Reply 292

The VISA card idea seems pretty good. Although, you can also withdraw pounds at ATMs in the UK with your normal (European) account. I've done that plenty of times. My bank charges €2,- + 1% exchange rate if you want to withdraw pounds in the UK. Then you can deposit those pounds in your Scottish account (like you suggested). I'm assuming depositing money is free? If it's not, I think it won't cost much. I think this method is really good.

First: Congrats for your grades, so we'll be joining the Strathclyde community in September! Whoop! :smile:

Second: As far as I have been told, we will be insured by the University itself and we don't have to pay anything at all visiting a doctor! (That's what a friend of mine who studied at Uni Glasgow experienced) What comes to charges when you're home, I do not know anything!
You mentioned having a job doesn't make you eligible for European insurance: Well I think this is only the case when you are working full-time or when you surpass a several amount of hours working which is given by the insurance company or the government, but it isn't for student jobs limited in time (As far as I know that's what Luembourgish law says for our citizens)

Third: Withdrawal from your home account and then putting money on the Scottish account came to my mind this evening as well, I think this will the cheapest method! I know that my local student account even allows several withdrawals a month without charge, so I'll simply limit the withdrawals and take care to withdraw enough money to keep me going for at least one week to avoid charges!

It still is necessary to thonk about all this to avoid to pay too much! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Reply 293

Woop, woop :clap2: Well done!! I guess you must have been pretty relieved!! :smile: You shouldn't expect any changes on UCAS before the 7th though, as they don't update UCAS in order to be ready for the "Highers" results day. Same again later on the 9th I think :wink: But it is stated on the UCAS facebook or website I guess, so maybe check again there! 7.5 sounds pretty good! Is your system similar to the Uni system in the Netherlands? Then it is a really good mark of what I have heard:smile:

I'm just going to register myself to the nearest NHS clinic as soon as I get to the country. I need to apply to stay in the Finnish health care system though, but it's not a big bother. :yes:

Not that worried about the fact that the bed is only 90cm wide, but only 190cm long? Sheez, thankfully I'm not a 2m guy :tongue:

Haha, I am not so worried about length. I am only 166 cm, so I should really fit in there :biggrin: I guess it will be even more interesting trying to fit two people in there. I remember that being quite and adventure when I stayed with my boyfriend one year ago :biggrin:

Original post by steph.b

x

I think all of the Health Insurance is done with the NHS, I think I will also visit a local doctor as soon as I get there to get everything sorted health-wise.

And OMG, I should really read those posts about cash mashines again, I am highly confused :confused: :biggrin:
Reply 294
I've been sleeping on a 82/190cm bed with my girlfriend for the last couple of weeks, a 90/190 would be great actually : D

What do you think about bringing some cash? Surely we need some during the first days but can I bring let's say 7-800 pounds and deposit it? Would there be any problem with the banks?
Original post by alaska.

Haha, I am not so worried about length. I am only 166 cm, so I should really fit in there :biggrin: I guess it will be even more interesting trying to fit two people in there. I remember that being quite and adventure when I stayed with my boyfriend one year ago :biggrin:

I move a lot when I sleep, and I've noticed that the 10cm makes a big difference. Visually it might not be that noticeable but when you sleep on it, you know the difference.

I wonder how many times I need to fall off the bed until my brain realises that my bed will be only 90cm wide and that's it. :tongue: I was at a friend's house and I slept in her sofa bed that is 90cm wide and I fell off thrice in one night :biggrin:

Original post by Lotfil

What do you think about bringing some cash? Surely we need some during the first days but can I bring let's say 7-800 pounds and deposit it? Would there be any problem with the banks?

You should ALWAYS have some cash with you when you move to a foreign land in case of an emergency. A good guideline is that never bring more than £200 in cash - because if more than that gets stolen, then you would be super pissed off (if less than that, you'll just be pissed off or really pissed off). You also will need cash when you go to the bank to open your new account, because usually they require that you deposit a certain amount right in the beginning.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by steph.b
First: Congrats for your grades, so we'll be joining the Strathclyde community in September! Whoop! :smile:

Second: As far as I have been told, we will be insured by the University itself and we don't have to pay anything at all visiting a doctor! (That's what a friend of mine who studied at Uni Glasgow experienced) What comes to charges when you're home, I do not know anything!
You mentioned having a job doesn't make you eligible for European insurance: Well I think this is only the case when you are working full-time or when you surpass a several amount of hours working which is given by the insurance company or the government, but it isn't for student jobs limited in time (As far as I know that's what Luembourgish law says for our citizens)

Third: Withdrawal from your home account and then putting money on the Scottish account came to my mind this evening as well, I think this will the cheapest method! I know that my local student account even allows several withdrawals a month without charge, so I'll simply limit the withdrawals and take care to withdraw enough money to keep me going for at least one week to avoid charges!

It still is necessary to thonk about all this to avoid to pay too much! :smile:

Aww thanks :smile: We will all be going to Strathclyde come september! Although, I won't be truly happy untill they confirm my unconditional status.

I guess I'll just take an insurance from the Netherlands. I need it for when I'm home anyway. I've heard we need to register with a GP to get NHS health care. So I assume that is free? I don't think that is a university service though.

I will be taking out cash as well. But I won't be carrying it around. I'll definitely deposit it into the Scottish account. I prefer paying by debit card. I never have more than €20 in cash with me.

Original post by alaska.
Woop, woop :clap2: Well done!! I guess you must have been pretty relieved!! :smile: You shouldn't expect any changes on UCAS before the 7th though, as they don't update UCAS in order to be ready for the "Highers" results day. Same again later on the 9th I think :wink: But it is stated on the UCAS facebook or website I guess, so maybe check again there! 7.5 sounds pretty good! Is your system similar to the Uni system in the Netherlands? Then it is a really good mark of what I have heard:smile:

Thaaanks :biggrin: I'm very relieved, but, like I said, I won't be totally happy untill they change my status. According to the UCAS website, they will work fine untill 18:00 on the 6th, so I hope they change my status before that time. But I guess I'll see what happens. Yeah, 7,5 is pretty good :smile: We have a scale from 1 to 10, so I scored about 75%. The test was a bit easier than the normal state exams though, but oh well.

I guess I'll just take an insurance from the Netherlands. I need it for when I'm home anyway. I've heard we need to register with a GP to get NHS health care. So I assume that is free? I don't think that is a university service though.

It's free for us. As far as I believe, the nearest GP surgeries for us living on campus is in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary (Grey Practice).
Reply 298
Aww thanks :smile: We will all be going to Strathclyde come september! Although, I won't be truly happy untill they confirm my unconditional status.

I will be taking out cash as well. But I won't be carrying it around. I'll definitely deposit it into the Scottish account. I prefer paying by debit card. I never have more than €20 in cash with me.

I know what you mean. mine was changed last Friday and I was supernervous until then!

Well, I talked to a friend who told me as long as I am a Luxembourgish citizen I am insured automatically so I don't have to worry when being home.

The other friend who graduated from Uni Glasgow was insured by his Uni automatically, but I think I'll just call Strathclyde once everything else is done and ask them!

I'll withdraw cash, save some and deposit some on the Scottish account! I think I'll go for RBS as they have cash machines everywhere! I don't need a VISA card, I'm only going to open an account and have a debitcard and a friend of mine recommended RBS as being trustworthy, so this will probably be my choice!
Reply 299
Got my accomodation offer: Andrew Ure ... I'm not that happy... But can't change anything now... Hopefully it will be okay... :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending