The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7780
Original post by alexs2602
I'm fairly new to android and I'm looking to learn more, I apologise if this has been covered but it's late and I really don't feel like reading back through God knows how many pages to find stuff. I'm looking for good apps, paid or free to install if anyone has any suggestions. A good backup app would be great, if that's possible. I've rooted the phone already. If there's any other tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Have you installed clockwork mod recovery? It allows you to create an entire backup of your device :smile: For backing up apps, use Titanium Backup (there are free and paid versions!).
Original post by tface
Have you installed clockwork mod recovery? It allows you to create an entire backup of your device :smile: For backing up apps, use Titanium Backup (there are free and paid versions!).

I don't think clockworkmod recovery supports my phone yet but I'll bear it in mind. I've got titanium backup pro, haven't gotten used to it yet but will do sometime soon. Seems like a good app though.
Original post by tface
Thanks for the reply, I will take a look :smile: Do you prefer AOKP to CM9/10? If so, why?

I prefer AOKP - if for nothing more than the different hardware control switches in the Notification Area.
I'm fairly new to android and I'm looking to learn more, I apologise if this has been covered but it's late and I really don't feel like reading back through God knows how many pages to find stuff. I'm looking for good apps, paid or free to install if anyone has any suggestions. A good backup app would be great, if that's possible. I've rooted the phone already. If there's any other tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The most popular backup app is Titanium Backup but personally I like MyBackup Root. Then as already mentioned you can do a complete backup of the phone (not the memory card) using nandroid in recovery mode.
I don't think clockworkmod recovery supports my phone yet but I'll bear it in mind. I've got titanium backup pro, haven't gotten used to it yet but will do sometime soon. Seems like a good app though.

Do you have Rom Manager installed? If your phone is compatible, then you can flash either the standard or touch version of CM Recovery via Rom Manager.
Original post by alex_hk90
The most popular backup app is Titanium Backup but personally I like MyBackup Root. Then as already mentioned you can do a complete backup of the phone (not the memory card) using nandroid in recovery mode.

I second mybackup, found it better than titanium (the free version at least) and you can backup other things as well.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire Z
Original post by TheCrackInTime
Do you have Rom Manager installed? If your phone is compatible, then you can flash either the standard or touch version of CM Recovery via Rom Manager.

I've installed the ROM manager now but haven't flashed it with CM recovery due to compatibility issues - it's still in beta. Is it worth using a beta version or waiting until it's fully supported?

Edit: Went ahead and installed the beta. After a couple of attempts I managed to get a backup(13.3MB~ - is that normal?). Froze a couple of apps with titanium and that's it so far.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've always used the standard Android web browser but it has crashed a lot recently and it's infuriating losing 8 tabs of sites.

Which is better: Firefox or Chrome? Or any other?
I think dolphin browser is best

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire Z
I use Dolphin and Dolphin Mini :yep:
When will Jelly Bean be coming to Samsung Galaxy S2's? Or are they not getting the update?
Original post by Karma Charger
When will Jelly Bean be coming to Samsung Galaxy S2's? Or are they not getting the update?

Doubt they'll release it officially. Wouldn't surprise me though if you can get a decent custom ROM for it though.
I've installed the ROM manager now but haven't flashed it with CM recovery due to compatibility issues - it's still in beta. Is it worth using a beta version or waiting until it's fully supported?

Edit: Went ahead and installed the beta. After a couple of attempts I managed to get a backup(13.3MB~ - is that normal?). Froze a couple of apps with titanium and that's it so far.

That seems rather small tbh. What did you use to make the backup?
Original post by TheCrackInTime
That seems rather small tbh. What did you use to make the backup?

Clockworkmod recovery. It's beta 2. I think I read backups are typically supposed to be 15mb to 20 mb.
Original post by mikeyd85
Doubt they'll release it officially. Wouldn't surprise me though if you can get a decent custom ROM for it though.

I haven't got a clue about that stuff. Damn, really wanted it on my phone :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Clockworkmod recovery. It's beta 2. I think I read backups are typically supposed to be 15mb to 20 mb.

Ah. With my (now retired) HTC Desire, I used the "Back up my ROM" feature in ROM Manager for full backups and I'm pretty sure they were somewhere in the region of 100-150mb. Obviously the backup size will vary based on the ROM you're using, but 13.3mb seems extremely small by comparison. I'd recommend making a backup via ROM Manager and comparing the file sizes.

What phone/ROM are you using btw?
I haven't got a clue about that stuff. Damn, really wanted it on my phone :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Head over to xda forums and look in the subsection for the s2, there'll be some guides and plenty of people that can help there :smile:
Reply 7797
Looking for a bit of help.

I've got the One X but I'm really, really unhappy about the battery life so I'm going to swap it for an S3. However I'd like to know if there's a way I can backup all the information from the One X and import it easily to the S3? I guess email settings doesn't matter, but in terms of all the apps, texts etc?

Any help is appreciated.
Original post by Roobsa
Looking for a bit of help.

I've got the One X but I'm really, really unhappy about the battery life so I'm going to swap it for an S3. However I'd like to know if there's a way I can backup all the information from the One X and import it easily to the S3? I guess email settings doesn't matter, but in terms of all the apps, texts etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Aren't all apps you purchased from the google play store linked to your google account? So if you just log in to your S3 with your account and go to my apps on the play store it should all be there?
Reply 7799
Aren't all apps you purchased from the google play store linked to your google account? So if you just log in to your S3 with your account and go to my apps on the play store it should all be there?

It will, but they will have to download one by one and things like game saves, app settings etc won't be backed up.

You should make a full nandroid backup :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending