The Student Room Group

If I did push ups every day, what would happen?

I'm really bad at them at the moment- I can't do a push up when I am on the floor, although I can do a few if I hold the edge of my bath and do it from there. If I were to do a few push ups every day (and gradually do more) would it have any dramatic effect on my body? I am looking to thicken my arms a bit, but I don't know if it would help :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

My brother grew ridiculously massive, and all he does are push ups and pull ups. Fairly dramatic change.
Reply 2
After grappling with proper programs/diets and finding it all to be too much hassle, I generally go by the mantra that anything's better than nothing.
Don't do them everyday, try doing them every other day to begin with. If you find them that difficult, and do them everyday, you may become really sore.

Start on your bath tub then. How many can you do on your bath tub?
You would get better a press ups, duhhh.

Your pecs and triceps will get stronger.
Reply 5
Original post by Junaid96
Do one on the floor.

Then the next day try another.

Then try two.

Then skip a day and try two again.

Then work your way up, and you should be at about 25 in a couple of weeks (worked for me).

If you stop, though, you'll find when you try to start again it can be harder (like you might go from 30 to 15 until you get back into it for a couple of days). Do it too often and you will be sore.

Also supersetting (like doing as many as you can until you drop, then falling down, getting up and doing two more, then two more until you're absolutely heaving) can make you really sore (although apparently it does build you up if you do it occasionally - it's so strenuous though that if you then try to support yourself with your arms just by falling to the floor your arms will flop and you will bash your nose on the floor :tongue:)

That isn't supersetting. Supersetting involves using different muscle groups.
Eg. Press Ups (Chest- Agonist muscle group) then do Rows (Back- Agonist Muscle Group). Just doing 1 or 2 press ups a day won't help very much. Try doing them on your knees first, then move to full press ups. This gradual progression will be more beneficial :smile:
Do them everyday forget what these ppl are saying about your going sore, try doing a couple of sets a day e.g. I do them just before i go to sleep 4 sets 60-45-30-until i fail. I started at barely being able to do 30 then i kept doing them and eventually it got better, however you really need to do weights if you want to inprove how many pressups you can do because i went to the gym for 5 months and this was probably 80% of where the improvement came from e.g. Chest/tri/shoulder/back workouts all play a part

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Oh my mistake. I thought super setting was just maxing yourself out then stopping briefly then destroying yourself again :tongue:

Won't doing 1 or 2 a day help building up? Initially I could literally only do about 3 (my shoulders kept hurting) but then after a few days it increased by about 1-2 each day to the 25-30 area.

Do sets of 20 like 3x20 and don't just do the standard press up position make it harder, look on yt on different pressups

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by Venom123
I would've negged you for terrible advice but I've reached my limit, Hopefully someone will do it on my behalf.

You mean someone with green gems:tongue: Maybe you thought the OPs bath could collapse? Otherwise doing press-ups on sturdy things can be a good work out, but I'd say put your shins on something and do press ups that way.

Anyway, OP, press-ups with correct form will work your core, arms, pecs, lungs and heart, do what you can, push yourself, do not do girl press ups. Two seconds down one second up. And then start to vary them, diamond press-ups, wide arm, snake etc etc.

Make sure you do something with your legs though, just for the yang to the ying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Increasing the amount of push-ups you do will help develop stronger chest and tricep muscles, and to a lesser degree your back and biceps. If you want overall body fitness I would suggest doing pull-ups, abdominal crunches as well as regular jogging.
Reply 10
you'd go super sayain
Reply 11
Original post by SubAtomic
You mean someone with green gems:tongue: Maybe you thought the OPs bath could collapse? Otherwise doing press-ups on sturdy things can be a good work out, but I'd say put your shins on something and do press ups that way.

Anyway, OP, press-ups with correct form will work your core, arms, pecs, lungs and heart, do what you can, push yourself, do not do girl press ups. Two seconds down one second up. And then start to vary them, diamond press-ups, wide arm, snake etc etc.

Make sure you do something with your legs though, just for the yang to the ying.

What do you consider to be girl press ups?? Hahaha :biggrin:
If you're wanting to do more press ups try this: http://hundredpushups.com/test.html
You'd become good at pushups, and a little sore if you don't have rest days.
So would it make my arms visible bigger? (I'm not talking huge arms, just a little bigger)
Reply 15
Original post by Runninground
So would it make my arms visible bigger? (I'm not talking huge arms, just a little bigger)

no.
Original post by Parente
What do you consider to be girl press ups?? Hahaha :biggrin:

Basically a cheat push up, using knees:rolleyes: only for the weak and recovering from something really. A healthy lad/lass should never need to do these cheat push ups.

Girl push up

OP, just do it and you'll see, when it comes to training, people are different so what works well for me might not work as well for you.

If soldiers are war ready doing all this mad exercise everyday then you would only be doing a fraction of what they do so you'll be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Runninground
I'm really bad at them at the moment- I can't do a push up when I am on the floor, although I can do a few if I hold the edge of my bath and do it from there. If I were to do a few push ups every day (and gradually do more) would it have any dramatic effect on my body? I am looking to thicken my arms a bit, but I don't know if it would help :tongue:

Try something like this maybe?

http://hundredpushups.com/week1.html
You won't increase in size much by doing push ups. If you're committed and you eat well you'll get a bit more muscular. You'd be better off getting a pull up bar if you're keen on building muscle at home.
Reply 19
Oh my mistake. I thought super setting was just maxing yourself out then stopping briefly then destroying yourself again :tongue:

Won't doing 1 or 2 a day help building up? Initially I could literally only do about 3 (my shoulders kept hurting) but then after a few days it increased by about 1-2 each day to the 25-30 area.

No worries :smile: If you do proper supersetting as part of a gym routine it will certainly help build you up. At home you could superset press ups and pull ups (depending on fitness) :smile:
Tbh just doing press ups won't help you get bigger, well certainly not quickly. In order to get bigger you need to fatigue the muscles over time, so 5 mins of press ups a day won't help much. Although I agree, you will get better and eventually be able to do 25-30. I'd recommend varying, so doing press ups on your knees like I said before. This way you can do more than one or two, hopefully 15-20. The volume of this and increased rep count should help you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest