The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steph.b
Got my accomodation offer: Andrew Ure ... I'm not that happy... But can't change anything now... Hopefully it will be okay... :s-smilie:

Isn't that off campus? It's not too far away though which is good. Hopefully it won't be bad!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by steph.b
Got my accomodation offer: Andrew Ure ... I'm not that happy... But can't change anything now... Hopefully it will be okay... :s-smilie:

Aww too bad that you're not happy :frown: It might be because you're a "mature" student? I hope you end up liking it there! I've heard they set up swaps after 2 weeks, so you might be able to find someone to trade accommodation with if you really don't like it.
Reply 302
Original post by KiaraMarissa
Aww too bad that you're not happy :frown: It might be because you're a "mature" student? I hope you end up liking it there! I've heard they set up swaps after 2 weeks, so you might be able to find someone to trade accommodation with if you really don't like it.

Well it is okay, the rooms are similar in every flat, what bothers me the most is that we( my flatmates and I) have to buy electricity and gas cards and I don't know what this will be like...
I hope my flatmates will be nice, but I can still visit you(you and Sibylle and all those I've get to know during the past weeks), because Andrew Ure is only a 5 minutes walk away from the initial campus village! I hope gas and electricity is not too expensive... Because I want to cook at least once a day so that I have to buy these cards whatsoever...
Reply 303
Original post by FinnLassie
Isn't that off campus? It's not too far away though which is good. Hopefully it won't be bad!

Well it is located in High Street which is a 5 minutes walk to the campus village... It isn't that far away, still off campus... I made that choice before chatting with you and because it is the cheapest one... There are good things about Andrew Ure as well, although I don't need car parking it is available there so it will be easier to move, we have washing machines in AU which is good as well and a recycling device... I think it will be easier to move there as their office is seperate from campus village so there won't be such a crowd... And as I am a mature student I will meet people my age as postgrad are also living there... I'm just a little disappointed because I got to know some of you and you're all living on campus...
Original post by steph.b
Well it is located in High Street which is a 5 minutes walk to the campus village... It isn't that far away, still off campus... I made that choice before chatting with you and because it is the cheapest one... There are good things about Andrew Ure as well, although I don't need car parking it is available there so it will be easier to move, we have washing machines in AU which is good as well and a recycling device... I think it will be easier to move there as their office is seperate from campus village so there won't be such a crowd... And as I am a mature student I will meet people my age as postgrad are also living there... I'm just a little disappointed because I got to know some of you and you're all living on campus...

Hey, think about it this way - we will not be the only people you'll get to know, and we'll hold some meet ups anyways, especially us who will sometimes pop up at the International Soc. :smile:
Original post by steph.b
Well it is okay, the rooms are similar in every flat, what bothers me the most is that we( my flatmates and I) have to buy electricity and gas cards and I don't know what this will be like...
I hope my flatmates will be nice, but I can still visit you(you and Sibylle and all those I've get to know during the past weeks), because Andrew Ure is only a 5 minutes walk away from the initial campus village! I hope gas and electricity is not too expensive... Because I want to cook at least once a day so that I have to buy these cards whatsoever...

You're right. The rooms are pretty much the same and it's not that far at all. The fact that electricty and gas has to be bought separately would bother me most. I can imagine how that could cause tension. I'll keep my fingers crossed you'll have nice (normal) flatmates. You can always come cook at peoples flats in the campus village if gas is very expensive :wink:
Reply 306
Original post by steph.b

I'd write them an email asking, if not you can still try to change after 4 weeks when they put out a "changebook" or something :wink:. Otherwise, it is just off the high street I read? That's not far at all. Still walking distance. I would have been glad to live that near last year :biggrin: And as you said, rent is not too expensive :h: But at least you've got accomodation sorted now!
Reply 307
Original post by steph.b

Yeeeah, but I think you should be okay :wink: Pack a lot of warm clothes and you don't have to turn the heating on :wink: That's what they did in other student flats!

You can always visit whenever you want!!! :smile: And the other way round hopefully :h: I guess some of the clubs might be nearer to your flat than to ours since it is a bit more in the city centre!

But still I am really sorry to hear you didn't get into TC :frown:
Reply 308
Original post by alaska.
Yeeeah, but I think you should be okay :wink: Pack a lot of warm clothes and you don't have to turn the heating on :wink: That's what they did in other student flats!

You can always visit whenever you want!!! :smile: And the other way round hopefully :h: I guess some of the clubs might be nearer to your flat than to ours since it is a bit more in the city centre!

But still I am really sorry to hear you didn't get into TC :frown:

It doesn't bother me not to turn up the heating all of the time, but I don't want cold showers :wink:

I'll be fine, jyst have to think positive :wink:

I would have been pleased to share a flat with you, but that wouldn't have been probable... Next year I can choose with whom I want to share and time will pass quickly till June! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Reply 309
Original post by steph.b

Hi Steph :smile:

Somehow Andrew Ure looks so mysterious to a lot of people, but it's not that bad. Some of my fellow students stayed there during their 1st year at uni. Everyone thinks these are quiet halls where no parties happen etc etc... Maybe there is some truth - most parties happen on campus or at private halls such as collegelands and blackfriars, but you shouldn't worry as long as you know people who live on campus :smile:
You will definitely be invited to all the parties on campus and you'll be a part of student life just like the others.
Besides, Andrew Ure has some advantages. It's close to Aldi shop where most campus students buy their food (because it's cheap there) and to go there you don't have to go down the hill (I stayed at Thomas Campbell and everytime I wanted to buy food, I had to take staircase with 95 steps). Andrew Ure is not far away from campus, literally like 5mins.
Make sure that you and your friends throw some parties to deny the myth that Andrew Ure is different from on-campus accommodation! :biggrin:
Reply 310
Original post by Catta
Hi Steph :smile:

Somehow Andrew Ure looks so mysterious to a lot of people, but it's not that bad. Some of my fellow students stayed there during their 1st year at uni. Everyone thinks these are quiet halls where no parties happen etc etc... Maybe there is some truth - most parties happen on campus or at private halls such as collegelands and blackfriars, but you shouldn't worry as long as you know people who live on campus :smile:
You will definitely be invited to all the parties on campus and you'll be a part of student life just like the others.
Besides, Andrew Ure has some advantages. It's close to Aldi shop where most campus students buy their food (because it's cheap there) and to go there you don't have to go down the hill (I stayed at Thomas Campbell and everytime I wanted to buy food, I had to take staircase with 95 steps). Andrew Ure is not far away from campus, literally like 5mins.
Make sure that you and your friends throw some parties to deny the myth that Andrew Ure is different from on-campus accommodation! :biggrin:

I don't think that will be bad, I was already invited to one party:wink: The only thing that bothers me are those gas and electicty cards we have to buy...
Reply 311
Original post by steph.b
I don't think that will be bad, I was already invited to one party:wink: The only thing that bothers me are those gas and electicty cards we have to buy...

If you need more information, try emailing accommodation office for basic guidelines. Also, you can try reading http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ for some advice about saving money when it comes to gas and electricity :smile:
anyone looking for a flatmate please let me know
Original post by AmmarRehman
anyone looking for a flatmate please let me know

Hiya, I suggest you put ads on Spare Room, Gumtree and EasyRoommate, and of course contact people who are looking for flatmates in Glasgow. :yes: Good luck for finding a flat/room!!
Original post by FinnLassie
Hiya, I suggest you put ads on Spare Room, Gumtree and EasyRoommate, and of course contact people who are looking for flatmates in Glasgow. :yes: Good luck for finding a flat/room!!

Thank you
Reply 315
I stayed in Chancellor's and it was alright, I've heard they have been renovated though so much nicer! I was in a flat of 5 and the flat down the hall from us was girls also.

I would really recommend halls for first year over anything else, ESPECIALLY buchanan view. I stayed there in my second year and it was dreadful. When I moved in my mirror was smashed, my wardrobe door off the hinge, a hole in the wall and the bathroom was really damp. After several maintainance forms they all got fixed. Oh apart from my window overlooking the motorway which never ever closed properly, and the repair man said it was beyond fixable. So I got to listen to the wonderful noise of traffic passing in the night and got woken up by it in the morning. To top it all off, they ripped me off half my deposit at the end of the lease over NOTHING. And I'm assuming they never used the money for their 'repainting' given the state my flat was in when I moved into it. JUST DON'T GO TO BUCHANAN VIEW, OKAY?

Also, for some of you doing Business which I read about a few posts back, good luck :smile: That's what I do and I'm about to start my joint honours in Marketing and Management Science. Marketing is really good in first year!
Reply 316
Hey guys,

I'm from Concordia University from Montreal, Canada and I have almost finished the application process for a Winter semester at Strathclyde.

I need your help though as to which (if I can actually choose) residence / Hall to choose.

Here's a little about myself, maybe you guys can match a Hall with my personality:

I'm definitely a sociable person that likes to party and have a good time. I do, however, have a limit to my partying-abilties and sometimes just like a nice place to hang-out. I'm majoring in accounting (yes accountants can be fun and enjoy a good party), incase that influences the location of the Halls.

A few questions for you guys:
1. If I'm a second year at my school, does that mean that I can have girls and guys in my room?
2. Do I choose my roomates or are they assigned?

That should do for now. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Reply 317
Original post by FaierPlay
Hey guys,

I'm from Concordia University from Montreal, Canada and I have almost finished the application process for a Winter semester at Strathclyde.

I need your help though as to which (if I can actually choose) residence / Hall to choose.

Here's a little about myself, maybe you guys can match a Hall with my personality:

I'm definitely a sociable person that likes to party and have a good time. I do, however, have a limit to my partying-abilties and sometimes just like a nice place to hang-out. I'm majoring in accounting (yes accountants can be fun and enjoy a good party), incase that influences the location of the Halls.

1. If I'm a second year at my school, does that mean that I can have girls and guys in my room?

As far as I know girls and guys aren't matched in halls, however there is a hall for families.
You can't choose your roommates, they're assigned!
I think the halls are pretty much the same, apart from Andrew Ure and Patrick Thomas which are off campus but only a five minutes walk away! It depends on the halls whether you have an en-suite room or if you have to share a bathroom! You can find any information on their homepage! :ahee:
Nice to meet you
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Got my offer for Thomas Campbell Court:woohoo:
Original post by FaierPlay
Hey guys,

Hello,

First off, all the halls are in the same "campus village" except Patrick Thomas and Andrew Ure, which are a very short walk away, so it doesn't really matter location-wise which one you're in. They're all literally a stones throw from where your lectures will be.

Secondly, the halls are divided into flats, which you will share with between 3 and 7 other people, these other people will all be the same gender as you. However on the same floor of your building you could have a flat of girls, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to mix.

Thirdly, you will fill in a questionnaire asking questions like "Would you rather go to a club, or the cinema" and the accommodation office will use this to assign your flatmates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending