The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Russian
Hi I'm Leicester Medic (hopefully August will allow).
Just wanted to ask, as I'm a techy guy, what is the internet situation down there? Ethernet ports in rooms (are there Ethernet ports in rooms actually?) or is wifi available for all? Because I will bring my own router if I need to.
Also, I just applied for accommodation and I firmed Leicester ages ago. Am I likely to get at least 2nd/3rd choice of accommodation?
Many thanks for the help in advance, I will ask more questions as they come up in my head.

Your chances of getting the accommodation depends entirely on which ones you applied for.

There are Ethernet ports in each room. I can vouch only for Beaumont and GMS where there was no wifi in 2009.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Sammydemon
x

Original post by fallenangel
x

Many thanks to both of you :smile:.
Reply 482
Original post by The Russian
Hi I'm Leicester Medic (hopefully August will allow).
Just wanted to ask, as I'm a techy guy, what is the internet situation down there? Ethernet ports in rooms (are there Ethernet ports in rooms actually?) or is wifi available for all? Because I will bring my own router if I need to.
Also, I just applied for accommodation and I firmed Leicester ages ago. Am I likely to get at least 2nd/3rd choice of accommodation?
Many thanks for the help in advance, I will ask more questions as they come up in my head.

When i was at oadby (Digby hall) last year, there was only 1 ethernet port per room and no wifi

however They said they would install multiple ports AND wifi in all halls this year, so it should be fine, if not just use a router like i did :smile:
Original post by Feds90
Hi Batmonkey! Thank you for giving me your opinion! At last I accepted the room...I hope I did it right! :biggrin: If you found your photos, could you please send them to me, too? A doubt just came to me: is there internet at Mary Gee? Thank you very much!

I'll try and pm you some pictures :smile: I'm living in Leicester over the summer and haven't managed to get internet yet :frown: so that's why i'm being a bit slow with my reply's - and yup there's internet, you connect through an ethanet cable, they sell them on the day you move in but i recommend you get a really long one before hand so you can move around a bit
Reply 484
Just looked on the website and it says that the sockets are fused at 2 amps so kettles can't be used. http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/faqs/electrical-appliances

Is this true? I really want to sneak my own kettle in my room :frown:
Reply 485
Original post by whotosee
Just looked on the website and it says that the sockets are fused at 2 amps so kettles can't be used. http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/faqs/electrical-appliances

Is this true? I really want to sneak my own kettle in my room :frown:

Largely yes, though Beaumont doesn't.

Otherwise just use one of the plugs in the corridor right outside your room, they aren't fused and are likely to be a lot nearer than the kitchen.
Reply 486
Original post by roh
Largely yes, though Beaumont doesn't.

Otherwise just use one of the plugs in the corridor right outside your room, they aren't fused and are likely to be a lot nearer than the kitchen.

Thanks again, tried to rep you, but already did so in the last 30 days!

I hope they put me in Beaumont then :biggrin: If not I'll just have to look weird and boil water standing just outside my room :smile:
Reply 487
Original post by whotosee
Thanks again, tried to rep you, but already did so in the last 30 days!

I hope they put me in Beaumont then :biggrin: If not I'll just have to look weird and boil water standing just outside my room :smile:

Doubt you'll look weird, plenty will do it. Even more so before a night out with straighteners, hair dryers and so on!
Reply 488
I'm an international student and I'm contemplating on whether to take catered or self-catered accomodation? How much does a meal outside cost? Is it convenient to eat out/prepare your own meals? Oadby seems rather far from campus and the bus fare will be additional costs for me. Anyone have any recommendations for accomodation?
Reply 489
Original post by airanez
I'm an international student and I'm contemplating on whether to take catered or self-catered accomodation? How much does a meal outside cost? Is it convenient to eat out/prepare your own meals? Oadby seems rather far from campus and the bus fare will be additional costs for me. Anyone have any recommendations for accomodation?

The bus fare will be about 300 pounds for a pass for the entire year. It's a big hit, but you will more than get that back. You'll use it to get to campus, to town during the day and at night so it's not uncommon to have 4-5 trips a day. If you want to meet British students then Oadby's definitely where it's at and the atmosphere up there is brilliant.

A meal, prepared yourself generally costs about 1 or 2 quid for an evening meal. Takeaway will set you back about a fiver and a restaurant meal more again. It's easy enough to cook your own meals as there are kitchens in each flat.

If you plan to go home at Xmas and Easter then catered is cheaper overall as you don't pay for 8 weeks rent you do with self, otherwise it's probably more or less even with self possibly slightly cheaper, but obviously this depends how much you spend per meal. Catered is more sociable in my opinion, because you have to eat together with your flat/block mates and eating together is a sociable activity.

Personally I think the best value accommodation is Beaumont, ensuite catered. I stayed in Beaumont shared catered and that's pretty good too, along with its equivalent in GMS. JoFo is very nice but expensive.

I don't have much experience of city living, but I know Opal is seriously steep and Nixon has recently been refurbished. Freemen's is I think a lot of ERASMUS students.

Oadby is nearly all Freshers, whilst there are finalists, postgrads, year abroad students etc. in City living so it's going to be quieter and probably not as sociable as Oadby, because people have more work to be getting on with than First years.
Reply 490
Hi I am an international student got an unconditional offer from Leicester. I am planning to arrive to leicester one week before the new semester start.(Can not arrive early due to personal reason) I have checked the University accommodation, I am planning to stay in uni accommodation for about a few weeks (maximum 3 months before Xmas) and then move to a private flat. Because I will be arrving a bit late, it is better for me to get settled down first and then start to think about moving out. However, I have checked the rules, and emailed the accommodation office they simply quote some rules which is not relevant to my case and did not give me a clear answer. I am wondering if this plan is feasiable and whether I will be bound by the 30 weeks or 39 weeks contract, and will I be charged for certain fees?

Can anyone give me some advice? Or whom should I contact for this matter? It is very much appreciated! Thanks a lot:smile:
Reply 491
Original post by June177
Hi I am an international student got an unconditional offer from Leicester. I am planning to arrive to leicester one week before the new semester start.(Can not arrive early due to personal reason) I have checked the University accommodation, I am planning to stay in uni accommodation for about a few weeks (maximum 3 months before Xmas) and then move to a private flat. Because I will be arrving a bit late, it is better for me to get settled down first and then start to think about moving out. However, I have checked the rules, and emailed the accommodation office they simply quote some rules which is not relevant to my case and did not give me a clear answer. I am wondering if this plan is feasiable and whether I will be bound by the 30 weeks or 39 weeks contract, and will I be charged for certain fees?

Can anyone give me some advice? Or whom should I contact for this matter? It is very much appreciated! Thanks a lot:smile:

I suspect you can't. The University does not have unlimited accommodation so you have to commit to for the full contract, only exception I know of is people on just a semester abroad.

Contact accommodation to check, but can't see them being particularly amenable I'm afraid.

Why don't you want to stay in halls all year?! It's brilliant!
Reply 492
Original post by roh
The bus fare will be about 300 pounds for a pass for the entire year. It's a big hit, but you will more than get that back. You'll use it to get to campus, to town during the day and at night so it's not uncommon to have 4-5 trips a day. If you want to meet British students then Oadby's definitely where it's at and the atmosphere up there is brilliant.

A meal, prepared yourself generally costs about 1 or 2 quid for an evening meal. Takeaway will set you back about a fiver and a restaurant meal more again. It's easy enough to cook your own meals as there are kitchens in each flat.

If you plan to go home at Xmas and Easter then catered is cheaper overall as you don't pay for 8 weeks rent you do with self, otherwise it's probably more or less even with self possibly slightly cheaper, but obviously this depends how much you spend per meal. Catered is more sociable in my opinion, because you have to eat together with your flat/block mates and eating together is a sociable activity.

Personally I think the best value accommodation is Beaumont, ensuite catered. I stayed in Beaumont shared catered and that's pretty good too, along with its equivalent in GMS. JoFo is very nice but expensive.

I don't have much experience of city living, but I know Opal is seriously steep and Nixon has recently been refurbished. Freemen's is I think a lot of ERASMUS students.

Oadby is nearly all Freshers, whilst there are finalists, postgrads, year abroad students etc. in City living so it's going to be quieter and probably not as sociable as Oadby, because people have more work to be getting on with than First years.

Thank you so much! FYI, I'm a postgraduate 'mature' student. Will Beaumont be still suitable for me? I want to have some fun too!
Reply 493
Original post by airanez
Thank you so much! FYI, I'm a postgraduate 'mature' student. Will Beaumont be still suitable for me? I want to have some fun too!

I dunno, depends how 'mature' you feel :tongue:

As a postgrad probably not, it's mainly 18/19 year old undergrads who will likely be going out a lot, as in 2-4 times a week.

If you're postgrad there are some nice houses up in Oadby which are postgrad only and parts of a block called the Coppice which is a mix of undergrads who've done gap years, mature undergrads and I think some PG. Best thing to do is probably to join some sort of Leicester PG facebook group and they'll be able to help or to contact accommodation to see if they've got any advice.
Reply 494
Original post by roh
I dunno, depends how 'mature' you feel :tongue:

As a postgrad probably not, it's mainly 18/19 year old undergrads who will likely be going out a lot, as in 2-4 times a week.

If you're postgrad there are some nice houses up in Oadby which are postgrad only and parts of a block called the Coppice which is a mix of undergrads who've done gap years, mature undergrads and I think some PG. Best thing to do is probably to join some sort of Leicester PG facebook group and they'll be able to help or to contact accommodation to see if they've got any advice.

Thanks once again. Is there a Leicester PG facebook group?

Also, I just realised that all City Living accommodation is based on 42 weeks. So does it mean that even though I'm not staying during the holidays I still have to pay for it? There is no way of paying based on the number of weeks without signing for the 42 weeks contract?
Reply 495
Original post by airanez
Thanks once again. Is there a Leicester PG facebook group?

Also, I just realised that all City Living accommodation is based on 42 weeks. So does it mean that even though I'm not staying during the holidays I still have to pay for it? There is no way of paying based on the number of weeks without signing for the 42 weeks contract?

Not sure if there's a general one, probably one for your dept. Just search it and see what comes up. If not post on SU's page and they may be able to point you to one.

Fraid not, if you go self catered you pay whether you're there or not.
Reply 496
Raaawwrrrr!!! The university is just out to squeeze me dry!!! :angry:

How about the private accomodation, the Sulets or something like that? Are they more reasonably priced?
Reply 497
Hi!

I've been allocated a room at Bowder Court. Is it a good place to live? I've heard that GMS was the most sociable hall and that was I looking for but they've given to me an expensive room ( premium+ ensuite) and I don't really know if I can afford it but I don't dare to refuse the offer because i'm afraid of not to find another room so ( It happened to someone )

I've learnt that even if oadby student village is far from the town and The University we can buy a student saver ticket for the year thanks to Arriva. But does this bus only operate during the term time?? If I stay during vacation I would like going into town.

Anyone else is in Block AA fl 1? I don't want to be alone lol

Thanks !
Reply 498
Does anyone have reviews for Freemens Common? It seems to be the cheapest.
Reply 499
Original post by airanez
Raaawwrrrr!!! The university is just out to squeeze me dry!!! :angry:

How about the private accomodation, the Sulets or something like that? Are they more reasonably priced?

Depends, most private ones are 12 month contracts at somewhere between 55-70 quid a week but they don't include bills, which are somewhere between 5-15 pounds a week depending how warm you want it, if you use a dishwasher etc.

You could try private halls, don't know much about them but others might.

You could email and see if any catered is largely for postgrads, I think there might be some up past JoFo but couldn't be certain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending