The Student Room Group

I can't wear ballet flats!

I'd really like to find a decent pair of ballet flats that actually stay on my feet. I have pretty narrow feet and whenever I try ballet flats on they just slip right off at the heel, it's so annoying! The same goes for high heels as well, they just won't stay on even with heel grips. I have a pair which are similar to ballet flats but are moccasins, the bit that covers the toes at the front comes up further on the foot so they actually stay on.

Does anyone else have this problem? Shops only cater to normal and wide feet but not narrow feet so I'm quite restricted as to which kinds of shoes I can actually wear.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've got exactly the same problem - so annoying! I'd love to find a pair that actually stay on.
Original post by megan205
I've got exactly the same problem - so annoying! I'd love to find a pair that actually stay on.

I did find one pair with puckering at the heel and I did have a chance of keeping those on, but they were so tight around my toes and the sides were way too low (I have weak ankles so my feet roll over to the sides). Just can't win!
This always happens to me, I keep thinking I might be getting a size too big but it only seems to affect flats and heels like you - it makes it difficult to walk! I've tried on a size smaller but they are too small and my feet rub really badly :/
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
This always happens to me, I keep thinking I might be getting a size too big but it only seems to affect flats and heels like you - it makes it difficult to walk! I've tried on a size smaller but they are too small and my feet rub really badly :/

When looking for heels I have to go with strappy ones, they're the only ones that will stay on. It's such a shame because I see so many nice pairs of heels yet I can't wear them! I have problems with toe-post sandals too, even if they have straps at the ankle, because my foot slides over and hangs off the sides, not sure if that's anything to do with the narrowness of my feet though.

As for getting a size too big, I'm only a size 3 so sizing down isn't too easy!
Original post by rainbow.panda
When looking for heels I have to go with strappy ones, they're the only ones that will stay on. It's such a shame because I see so many nice pairs of heels yet I can't wear them! I have problems with toe-post sandals too, even if they have straps at the ankle, because my foot slides over and hangs off the sides, not sure if that's anything to do with the narrowness of my feet though.

As for getting a size too big, I'm only a size 3 so sizing down isn't too easy!

I totally understand what you mean, it's a bit disheartening when you see things you really like but have to think about whether or not they will hurt your feet or can even walk in them! Toe-post sandals are the worst, I always have to go for ones without it with straps :tongue:
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I totally understand what you mean, it's a bit disheartening when you see things you really like but have to think about whether or not they will hurt your feet or can even walk in them! Toe-post sandals are the worst, I always have to go for ones without it with straps :tongue:

I have a pair of toe-post ones, they're really nice and I've just about managed to get past the initial pain of wearing them, but I can't stand how they slip about all over the place. I'm looking for some strappy ones without a toe-post, and it's actually really hard. Any ideas? D:
Wear a pair with a strap? I wear these ones to work (they aren't technically dainty ballet shoes but they are sturdy and should last you a good two years):

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20341789
Reply 8
I have the same problem and it drives me nuts! I was looking at shoes today and had to put pretty much all of them back. The best pair I found have an elasticated like material back so they don't slip.
I have the same problem, tbh my feet are so narrow (especially at my heels) i hardly fit any shoes but some of the ballet flats with elastic round the back usually fit better. You could try putting an in sole in them and seeing if they fit better? that sometimes works for me. I wish shops would start selling narrow fit shoes though because most of them now sell wide fit shoes sometimes even extra wide fit! Its really annoying!!
Reply 10
Same problem. Topshop ballet's normally fit okay!
Reply 11
Original post by Scotland1994
I have the same problem, tbh my feet are so narrow (especially at my heels) i hardly fit any shoes but some of the ballet flats with elastic round the back usually fit better. You could try putting an in sole in them and seeing if they fit better? that sometimes works for me. I wish shops would start selling narrow fit shoes though because most of them now sell wide fit shoes sometimes even extra wide fit! Its really annoying!!

Go into New Look sale, see a really nice pair of shoes 'wide fit'
It's so irritating!
Original post by Samus2
It's so irritating!

Same except I bought some and ended up having to line the shoe with heel grips and ram the shoe with insoles. Still too big. Most. Painful. Night. Out. Ever.
i cant walk in flats at all :frown:
I have this problem for the opposite reason - my feet are so wide they barely fit into ballet flats, and even when they do, the shoes end up looking mishapen. I tend to get the next size up, and put up with them feeling loose. So maybe get the next size down and put up with them feeling tight? Other than that maybe insoles?
Original post by Samus2
It's so irritating!

I know exactly what you mean, and to make matters worse they never seem to have a decent range of size 3s in stock!
Original post by Scotland1994

I know! I have literally never seen a range of shoes for narrow feet in ANY shop. We come in all shapes and sizes and the same goes for foot width as well so I don't see why they think there isn't a market for narrow shoes. A petition is needed :P
I used to have the same problem but I found that Topshop ones stay on my feet pretty well because they're quite narrow
(Look up the £16 pumps on Topshop's website! Although only last a few months with constant wear, at least they're comfortable and stay on :tongue:)
Also try looking at the elasticated pumps (http://www.riverisland.com/Online/women/shoes--boots/pumps--plimsolls/brown-leopard-print-pointed-ballerina-pumps-622996 I'm not a big fan of these but the general shape of them is quite good for staying on narrow feet!)

Failing that, the bog standard insole/heel grips route (brings back memories of my formal- I had to wear 2 insoles in 1 shoe, 1 in the other, with 2 heel grips on top of each other on the back of each shoe to keep them on my feet!)
(edited 11 years ago)
For narrow feet best ballet flats are ones that scrunch up at the back like these for example:

But it's hard to find ones that are really comfortable.

Primark does them sometimes. Also Juicy Couture Miu Miu..etc

Also to my surprise Topshops spike loafers are narrow fitting! First time flats that don't scrunch up fit me :biggrin:

I have never found New Look flat shoes to be narrow fitting. EVER. They have 'normal' and they also have 'wide fit'... Now that's unfair, we need narrow feet section too!!!

European countries have narrow fitting shoes all the time, not just feet but also around the knee for boots. I think companies tend to cater to the countries 'average' measurements, which is wider than EU measurements. :/
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! Primark do some cheap flats with a slightly gathered heel which don't slip off for me (although I find that I need a size bigger). Or you can find some nice t-bar shoes or perhaps sew two pieces of ribbon onto a pair of shoes and then tie it which could look quite cute :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending