The Student Room Group

How do you bring your first car home with no insurance?

I'll be buying my first car soon, and was thinking that if the previous owner has it in daily use and insured, I'll get a friend who can legally drive it back with D.O.C insurance, but what I'd I buy a car with no insurance from a private seller.

I would love to just take the chance but with ANPR cameras on every cop car in my area, it's not worth it, even though I'll probably get a £500 banger.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM - for cheap car insurance

Check Endsleigh - they do student car insurance with significant discounts
If that doesn't work for you, try searching:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure if you can do this when you're buying from a private seller, but when you buy a used car from a dealership they can do a temp insurance for like 2 weeks. When I bought my first car, the dealership offered it to me, saying it would be ready the next day but I decided to just risk it (irresponsible and impatient don't mix...)

The easiest thing might be to find someone with a decent towing car and rent a trailer from somewhere.
This might be a bit obvious, but why not sort out insurance first? The Co-Op were very quick with mine, I recall

Cheap car insurance deals
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi
This might be a bit obvious, but why not sort out insurance first? The Co-Op were very quick with mine, I recall

I'm looking to go with Co-Op young drivers which is all online, so it'd mean looking at the car, coming back and going to pick it up. The process is too complicated for an iPhone, unless I ask to use their computer.

Does CoOp YD allow you to get the quote, then ring back to confirm of car is purchased. I would have thought you cannot drive until the tracker is installed.
Reply 4
Original post by MrWhosane
I'm looking to go with Co-Op young drivers which is all online, so it'd mean looking at the car, coming back and going to pick it up. The process is too complicated for an iPhone, unless I ask to use their computer.

Does CoOp YD allow you to get the quote, then ring back to confirm of car is purchased. I would have thought you cannot drive until the tracker is installed.

You should never really buy a car on a first viewing anyway, like anything else. It means you're more likely to buy it on impulse, whereas if you go home again you're more likely to think over the cons as well and make a better decision. I've viewed all four of the cars I've bought in the past once before going back again a few days/a week later to pick the car up.
Reply 5
You view it. Put a deposite down. and collect the car another day when you've sorted the insurance out.
Reply 6
I'll be buying my first car soon, and was thinking that if the previous owner has it in daily use and insured, I'll get a friend who can legally drive it back with D.O.C insurance, but what I'd I buy a car with no insurance from a private seller.

I would love to just take the chance but with ANPR cameras on every cop car in my area, it's not worth it, even though I'll probably get a £500 banger.

Get insurance first- like you said its really not worth it. A mate of mine tried it and lets just that say that the reduction in price he haggled was made up for the fines+compound and a bonus 6 points on his license. Good times :colondollar:

You can save a quote then come back to it, I think. You get a couple of weeks of freedom, where you're insured but the tracker's not in. They insist that you let them have it installed within a month. You just have to tell their people when you're free and they'll come and sort it.
Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi

I agree. If you see a car you like, go and have a look at it, then if you like it, phone round/go on the internet and sort out insurance. It doesnt take long to do. And if you where buying a car (from a private seller/garage etc), you wouldnt buy it straight away as soon as you see it anyway, you would possibly put down a diposit and then usually get the money to pay for the car and then go back at some point to pay and collect the car. So in the meantime you would be able to get the insurance sorted too.
Reply 9
My first car arrived on the back of a trailer.
Well go there, buy it, come home, get insurance, go back. The amount of pointless topics on this forum. Jeez.
You can get temporary insurance, not sure what the deal with it is though.
Reply 12
I just used my older brothers trailer and Transit Van
Solutions in order of easiness
1. Agree to buy car, go home sort out insurance, come back a few hours/days later, drive away. Deposit if necessary
2. Ask the current owner to drive it over (presuming they have it insured) and then get a friend/parent to drop them back at home, give them a few extra pounds to do this as long as its not too far
3. Get in touch with a car transporter company, cost me ~£30 to move it on the back of 7 1/2 tonne cab about 10miles to a garage
4. Get a parent/friend with the drive any car insurance part (carefully check this and that the current owner still has valid insurance) and get them to drive it for you.
Original post by Camoxide
You view it. Put a deposite down. and collect the car another day when you've sorted the insurance out.

Sorry to drag this up after three weeks but I put down a deposit for a car yesterday, picking it up next Saturday.

Obviously I need to do the insurance - what do I put down for the insurance under "Date you bought the car" or do I tick Not Bought Yet?
Reply 15
Original post by M4LLY
I just used my older brothers trailer and Transit Van

Just be careful with trailers, because the rules about what you can tow on a standard license are quite complicated.
Reply 16
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Sorry to drag this up after three weeks but I put down a deposit for a car yesterday, picking it up next Saturday.

Obviously I need to do the insurance - what do I put down for the insurance under "Date you bought the car" or do I tick Not Bought Yet?

I'd put down the day you paid the deposit.
I'm not too sure if it matters though.
Reply 17
Original post by KCLeblanc
Just be careful with trailers, because the rules about what you can tow on a standard license are quite complicated.

My older brother has his full trailer license. And, as this was over a year ago, so do I
Reply 18
My dad's friend has a trader's licence which allows him to drive any vehicle up to a certain value, even if it has no insurance. He came along when I bought my car. I know a few friends who (riskily) drove without insurance back from purchasing their vehicle, which I don't recommend.
Reply 19
Original post by Kre
My dad's friend has a trader's licence which allows him to drive any vehicle up to a certain value, even if it has no insurance. He came along when I bought my car. I know a few friends who (riskily) drove without insurance back from purchasing their vehicle, which I don't recommend.

Yeah, that's brave. One ANPR camera on their way home and it would be seized car and many points on their license...

Latest

Trending

Trending