The Student Room Group

changing sanitary products, no proper bin

Scroll to see replies

I use a mooncup. It's a hundred times easier and cheaper to use.
Original post by Justbychance
Um...I'm not being funny but just flush it? I have always flushed tampons and never had a problem. In fact I didn't even know people didn't until I read this?! Lol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You are aware that you could block the toilet by doing this?:rolleyes:
I always put my used pads in scented bags. This is especially useful for these circumstances because it means I can take them home without it being too too gross.
Original post by Clare~Bear

But my boyfriends mum sorts through their bin for recyclables. We use carrier bags as bin bags and everything goes in the blackbin. But no one at my bfs house has periods so they dont have anything dirty in their bins. But this means that i have to wrap them up and take them home to put them in a bin, if i was them i wouldnt want to pick it up and if its only a tampon change i have to wrap it in tissue which it can leak through.

Has anyone had this problem before?

I've not had that specific problem, but surely it's worth talking to your boyfriend's mum if you're concerned? Unless she's an absolute monster and hates you or something.
Even if she doesn't have periods now, she will have done in the past and can advise you on how feminine products are disposed of in their house. :smile:
Reply 24
I'm another mooncup convert :smile:

Had a very embarrasing situation once when I was about 14 which involved my Grandad and my Dad having to unblock the toilet
Original post by OU Student
You are aware that you could block the toilet by doing this?:rolleyes:

Certain tampons say on them that it's okay to flush them and the cardboard applicator, but not a plastic one.

My solution to the OPs problem (since we're offering them), a progesterone only pill. No periods, no problems!
But I do agree that it's a bit weird to not have a bin in the bathroom, but then again we don't have one in the upstairs bathroom at home.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I used to have this problem, then the mooncup solved everything! No need to bin anything, no need to buy tampons/pads every month, and don't have to change as often. You also don't get that "dirty" feeling like you do with pads. I know you weren't asked for alternative protection but all the advice I would have given has been said, and the MC really is a great investment!

I am 21 years old and never heard of this lol. I just googled it.
:eek:
I have no words, just very confused lol.
It seems a good idea though. What do you think of them?
I used to have this problem, then the mooncup solved everything! No need to bin anything, no need to buy tampons/pads every month, and don't have to change as often. You also don't get that "dirty" feeling like you do with pads. I know you weren't asked for alternative protection but all the advice I would have given has been said, and the MC really is a great investment!

i second this!

Original post by TenOfThem
Unless you are in a cubicle with no sink

Then they are a nightmare

yeah they are but take a bottle of water and its all good!
or just wait if its possible, its not like they are dangerous like tampons can be if you keep them in too long.
you can also go into disabled toilets.
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist

they are great.. i whole heartedly recommend one! take a bit of getting used to, but after a while they are great.. long term they save money on other products too.
Reply 29
You can get nice smelling little bags to put them in, so if you're really in need you can make sure you have one with you, wrap it and put it in your own bag then dispose of it at home. You can get them from any supermarket I should think.
haha oh man, i hate it when people don't have bins in their bathroom! my boyfriend was in a house share with five girls last year and they didn't have one, which i really don't understand! :confused:
I don't understand when people don't have bins in the bathroom. It's a normal thing to have in there... Used toilet rolls (i mean the actual cardboard bit), used toothpaste, even used tissues (that you've blown your nose on or something) can go in there.

Luckily, my boyfriend's bathroom has a normal bin, and a 'special' bin so I'm all fine there.
Reply 32
Original post by minimarshmallow

But I do agree that it's a bit weird to not have a bin in the bathroom, but then again we don't have one in the upstairs bathroom at home.

My fiancée's mother doesn't have bins in any of the bathrooms either, seems it's more common that we thought! I thought it was really weird though, I mean where do they put their face wipes and things? They take everything straight out for recycling if it can be recycled, but you're unlikely to attempt to recycle your used applicator/pad... She's a woman, she should know this! :colondollar:

unless... unless she does recycle them... :K: I've had four years of thinking this, never thought to ask her. :lol:
Original post by Clare~Bear
What do you do if you go out somewhere, especially someones house and they either dont have a bin or one that they sort through, when you're on your period?

I was on when i was round my brothers once. Luckily it was only a couple of changes at his. But his bathroom had no bin at all. I wrapped it up in tissue and snook it into the blackbin.

But my boyfriends mum sorts through their bin for recyclables. We use carrier bags as bin bags and everything goes in the blackbin. But no one at my bfs house has periods so they dont have anything dirty in their bins. But this means that i have to wrap them up and take them home to put them in a bin, if i was them i wouldnt want to pick it up and if its only a tampon change i have to wrap it in tissue which it can leak through.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Thankfully throughout my life, I have never been in this situation before. I am grateful you made this thread OP, otherwise I have no idea what I would genuinely do placed in that situation... Perhaps wrap it up with toilet paper and put it in a different bin? :dontknow:
Original post by minimarshmallow
Certain tampons say on them that it's okay to flush them and the cardboard applicator, but not a plastic one.

My solution to the OPs problem (since we're offering them), a progesterone only pill. No periods, no problems!

Only in 7/10 cases. I'm about to change off the POP because it's made mine heavier and more painful :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Original post by Nistar
If worst comes to worst, flush the tampon down the toilet. I know you're not supposed to but if you're stuck in a situation that you'd rather not get embarrassed by, just do it.

As for sanitary towels ... I suppose wrap it up securely and keep it on you. Really hate it when people don't have bins in the bathroom though...

You're not meant to flush tampons down the toilet? :K: Whoops...

I only heard of it a few months back, also from someone on TSR! It takes a bit of getting used to, but when you are used to it not many people look back! Much cheaper in the long term. If you spend £5 a month on pads/tampons then you'd get your money back in less than a year.
I only heard of it a few months back, also from someone on TSR! It takes a bit of getting used to, but when you are used to it not many people look back! Much cheaper in the long term. If you spend £5 a month on pads/tampons then you'd get your money back in less than a year.

They look like they could be uncomfortable. Are you aware of them all the time? I watched a video about it on the internet lol
They look like they could be uncomfortable. Are you aware of them all the time? I watched a video about it on the internet lol

If they're in properly you can't feel it much. Possibly when you first put it in, but then you get used to it! Worth a try anyway :-).
Reply 39
If they're in properly you can't feel it much. Possibly when you first put it in, but then you get used to it! Worth a try anyway :-).

I bought one when I was about 17 and couldn't get it up there. :biggrin: No idea where it is now so I might buy another to try.

I have issues with repeatedly getting thrush and it got so bad recently that whenever I used Lil-lets tampons the bleach or whatever would irritate my skin further and I got lots of papercut-type splits in my skin down there. Horrific! So using something that didn't rub chemicals all over my vagina would be rather nice... can you feel it more than tampons even when it's positioned right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending