The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4420
Original post by rac1

i don't think there is a specific teaching maybe you'd like to read the prodigal son parable?

Thanks. :smile:

I have read the parable before and it has helped a lot.
Reply 4421
Original post by Surfing_the_shine
i have mentioned this before but noone has really picked up on this , there is a abortion thread " The Abortion debate: are you pro-life or pro-choice? (Poll) " and we Catholics need to defend the innocent, and show abortions for what they are -silent screams of the unborn child- i would like people support on this as there are many that do not acknowledge the sanctity of life i would appreciate it if people started posting prolife messages and challenging the prochoice opinions

I like what I've seen you post on the last page at least as thats as far back as I'm willing to read:colondollar:

I'll try and help you out.:smile:
Reply 4422
:angry: I have a virus now apparently:rolleyes:
Reply 4423
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:console:

You're welcome :hugs:

I just graduated from my undergraduate institution. I'm now doing a postgrad course elsewhere, the dissertation for which is due on 30th August.

ohhhh:smile::smile: I see

Tbh, I do see where those people are coming from when they say that. £100,000 is a sizeable amount of money. I don't think a campaign is particularly necessary either. All the information that would come from a campaign, could easily come from priests through their sermons :dontknow:

I know. the gov says they're going with it whatever anyone says, mind you though, not everyone who doesn't want gay marriage is catholic...we're a sizeable proportion though.

Have you read some of the comments on that blog entry? There are some strange people in the world :s-smilie:

thank goodness its just a few! shame they all seem to be at the top of the comments:frown: That lady (Barbie?) must know that Jesus kept company with sinners e.g. the tax collector and (I think) people then didn't like him for it funnily enough.

You lucky thing! I want a glow-in-the-dark rosary but haven't managed to find one yet :nah:

Are you kidding! i had no idea they were a must have:biggrin:
mine look like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Plastic-Prison-Rosary-Rosaries/dp/B004B47AGS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1342638167&sr=8-9
but it doesn't say glow in the dark

you could always have a GitD rosary ring:biggrin:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUMINOUS-PLASTIC-GLOW-DARK-ROSARY/dp/B007DG1896/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1342638339&sr=8-34

My mum sleeps with a rosary under her pillow. When my mental health is playing up, she tucks me up in her bed and presses the rosary against my head :yes:

awww! I think i'll probably carry on then (until i find my 'comfort cross') but with one less likely to keep me awake, :smile:

Gap year with CAFOD would be amazing! :moon: There is no greater joy that in servitude, imho :nah:

I know!! and thankyou voice of reason:smile::smile:

Original post by MTR_10
Thanks. :smile:

I have read the parable before and it has helped a lot.

I like, it always feel a bit sorry for the other son though:redface:

Don't know if this helps you
http://christianpf.com/encouraging-bible-verses/

Original post by rac1
:angry: I have a virus now apparently:rolleyes:

Alright now:smile:

Anyone for a raffle?
http://www.cafod.org.uk/fundraising/order-tickets-for-our-world-food-day-raffle-2012
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, it was Barbie I was alluding to. What a nutter! Thankfully I think most of the other comments are well-reasoned, etc :yes:
I was saying yesterday to my mum how finishing my dissertation on time is going to be completely impossible :sadnod: So guess what she did today? She popped into the Padre Pio shop in Central London... and bought me a little statue of St Jude! Gotta love my mum :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 4426
I was saying yesterday to my mum how finishing my dissertation on time is going to be completely impossible :sadnod: So guess what she did today? She popped into the Padre Pio shop in Central London... and bought me a little statue of St Jude! Gotta love my mum :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Padre Pio shop?
Original post by Aula
Padre Pio shop?

:yep: The one near Westminster Cathedral :yep:

(Btw, JR said I could consider becoming a SPEC volunteer missionary for 2013-14, which suits me better and has appeased my mum. So hopefully it still might happen one day :moon: )
Reply 4428
:yep: The one near Westminster Cathedral :yep:

(Btw, JR said I could consider becoming a SPEC volunteer missionary for 2013-14, which suits me better and has appeased my mum. So hopefully it still might happen one day :moon: )

Do you mean St. Pauls?

Awesome!
I need to discern what I'm supposed to be doing next year. I really don't know right now :dontknow:
Original post by Aula
Do you mean St. Pauls?

Awesome!
I need to discern what I'm supposed to be doing next year. I really don't know right now :dontknow:

:nah:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=padre+pio+store+london&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&client=firefox-a :h:

Yeah, I'm so pleased. Usually people just write me off altogether so it's quite nice to have someone willing to give me a chance to show what I can do :colondollar:

Not to worry - it's so difficult to know what to do and where to go in this job market. Maybe you could try out some internships to test the water a bit? I did an internship with the London Symphony Orchestra. Went in thinking it was just arts administration but I was actually in their fundraising department and so learnt a lot about the third sector. Made me realise I could see myself doing something like that one day, perhaps :yes:

I'll pray for your discernment :yes:
Reply 4430
:nah:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=padre+pio+store+london&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&client=firefox-a :h:

Yeah, I'm so pleased. Usually people just write me off altogether so it's quite nice to have someone willing to give me a chance to show what I can do :colondollar:

Not to worry - it's so difficult to know what to do and where to go in this job market. Maybe you could try out some internships to test the water a bit? I did an internship with the London Symphony Orchestra. Went in thinking it was just arts administration but I was actually in their fundraising department and so learnt a lot about the third sector. Made me realise I could see myself doing something like that one day, perhaps :yes:

I'll pray for your discernment :yes:

Ooh, I see. Might have to go find that at some point when I'm in London and have money (so probably not for quite a long time then... :sad: )

Yeah I know. Applied for a second year, but was told I need to go off and do some more discernment. If not, I'll just have to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing instead. Life is complex :sigh:
Original post by Aula
Ooh, I see. Might have to go find that at some point when I'm in London and have money (so probably not for quite a long time then... :sad: )

Yeah I know. Applied for a second year, but was told I need to go off and do some more discernment. If not, I'll just have to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing instead. Life is complex :sigh:

:hugs: :console: :hugs:

Remember what they say in The Sound of Music: "When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window" :yes:
My brother got his job! :yes:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Original post by Matthew_Lowson

Great news! :woo: :jebus: :woo:
Reply 4434
Original post by ScholarsInk
I found out recently that Christopher Hitchens's last piece was a hit-job on Chesterton.

For all his supposed rhetorical prowess, I do wish I could see he and Dawkins try to take on Belloc and Chesterton. They'd fall harder than HG Wells did!

Thanks for being the first to mention Chesterton to me (indirectly but even so!)
I can't wait to start reading this,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Thing-Why-Catholic-ebook/dp/B003VPWZTU
I couldn't not get it for that price:smile: And its not too long so I might actually get round to reading it.:biggrin:

I wish there were really good British apologists around now.:frown:

Yes, it was Barbie I was alluding to. What a nutter! Thankfully I think most of the other comments are well-reasoned, etc :yes:

She probably hasn't met many gay people:s-smilie:

Aww cool! there's a Padre Pio shop!

Original post by Matthew_Lowson

Yay!!!!

I got this yesterday

http://www.cts-online.org.uk/acatalog/info_B737.html

I shouldn't have but it's not going to be half price very often!

couple of mins to opening ceremony
I felt quite hopeful when i started reading this:frown: (another lapsed catholic)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/9431931/London-2012-Opening-Ceremony-Danny-Boyle-biography.html
Reply 4435
wish i had tickets for the olympics!
Prayers for no terrorist attacks and London not mucking up the Olympics would be much appreciate. Love from all London Catholics :biggrin: :jebus: :biggrin:
I could really use a bit of group prayer to St Anthony if any of you feel like helping me out.

I've lost my mother's bank card. She's in Turkey until the beginning of October, and she relies on me getting her pension out of her account every week from the post office, and passing it across to her other account via online banking, so then she can get it via a cash machine over there from her other account.

Bit complicated I know...and in case you're wondering why she didn't just take this card herself, it's because it's one that you can only withdraw money via a post office....

.....anyway, not the point really. The point is I've gone and lost the card. She's going to murder me, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

I've been praying all day to St. Anthony to help me find it, bbut I'm still not having much luck, so if you could please join in a bit of collective petitioning to him that would be really helpful.

Cheers in advance
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I could really use a bit of group prayer to St Anthony if any of you feel like helping me out.

I've lost my mother's bank card. She's in Turkey until the beginning of October, and she relies on me getting her pension out of her account every week from the post office, and passing it across to her other account via online banking, so then she can get it via a cash machine over there from her other account.

Bit complicated I know...and in case you're wondering why she didn't just take this card herself, it's because it's one that you can only withdraw money via a post office....

.....anyway, not the point really. The point is I've gone and lost the card. She's going to murder me, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

I've been praying all day to St. Anthony to help me find it, bbut I'm still not having much luck, so if you could please join in a bit of collective petitioning to him that would be really helpful.

Cheers in advance

Prayer to St Anthony said for you. Hope you're OK. Must be so stressful :console: :hugs: :console:
Prayer to St Anthony said for you. Hope you're OK. Must be so stressful :console: :hugs: :console:

thank you. yeh I'm pretty stressed. I don't know what to do if I can't find it. Ring the bank and pretend to be her and request a new card maybe? ugh :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending