The Student Room Group

"Babysitting" a 13 year old. Any fun activity ideas?

My parents and aunt & uncle are going on holiday on Wednesday for a week, leaving me to look after my 13-year-old cousin.

We get on well but aren't particularly close as we don't see each other very often (maybe once every other month).

Obviously I'll ask her what she wants to do, but I was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Scrabble?

If you want some time for yourself, play hide and seek and simply don't seek.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Go swimming :smile: always fun to mess around and some decent exercise to tire her out! X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Going to the park, shopping?
(edited 11 years ago)
Ask her if she has any pocket money to go shopping with. If not, Ice skating, roller blading, bowling,cycling, going to see a movie/ staying in with popcorn, ice cream and Netflix. I just turned 14,and these are all things most girls my age love doing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
All week early 80s disco party in your house.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Cinema
(edited 11 years ago)
OP, I would stick with board games, park and perhaps shopping
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
If she's 'girly', how about having a pamper day? Nails, hair, make-up, face masks?

DVD marathon/ cinema?
Picninc, if the weather's nice?
Shopping?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm a part time playworker so hopefully I can offer some advice!

I think you should ask her parents what she enjoys doing - from my experience every child is different. Some children love playing board games, other love playing outside. You may find she is happy to watch television all day, or enjoys arts and crafts. I can assure you she probably already knows what she wants to be doing, asking her would be your best option. A 13 year old rarely needs their play to be directed!

If you find she has no idea what to do here is a short list of things many 13 year old girls would love doing:

- Watch a movie
- Pedicure, such as nail painting
- Trying out different hair styles/clothes/make-up
- Listening to music, perhaps she enjoys singing/dancing
- She may like looking around the shops
- Creating jewellery with beads
- If she likes talking maybe go for a nice walk somewhere
- Perhaps she enjoys cooking/baking things or creating a funky milkshake :biggrin:

Hopefully this post was of some use to you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Playing Monopoly'd be really fun - I still love it as an 18 year old :biggrin:

Although two-player Monopoly can get boring quite quickly though... :getmecoat:
(edited 11 years ago)
Go for a long walk/drive and use it as a opportunity to get to know her :smile: Ask her about her friends, school, boys etc. At 13, it's nice to have someone older to confide in!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Britney's Dance Beat tournament. Gyrating to 'Oops, I Did It Again' is quite possiblý the coolest, most heterosexual thing ever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Take her to do something she wouldn't usually do, and then you'll be the favourite cousin. :h: Horse riding, perhaps?
(edited 11 years ago)
My experience with my sister is: movies, bake something together, play board games.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by RobertWhite
I'm a part time playworker so hopefully I can offer some advice!

I think you should ask her parents what she enjoys doing - from my experience every child is different. Some children love playing board games, other love playing outside. You may find she is happy to watch television all day, or enjoys arts and crafts. I can assure you she probably already knows what she wants to be doing, asking her would be your best option. A 13 year old rarely needs their play to be directed!

If you find she has no idea what to do here is a short list of things many 13 year old girls would love doing:

- Watch a movie
- Pedicure, such as nail painting
- Trying out different hair styles/clothes/make-up
- Listening to music, perhaps she enjoys singing/dancing
- She may like looking around the shops
- Creating jewellery with beads
- If she likes talking maybe go for a nice walk somewhere
- Perhaps she enjoys cooking/baking things or creating a funky milkshake :biggrin:

Hopefully this post was of some use to you!

'You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!'

:frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Baking - go the whole way and buy a cupcake kit and make your own cupcakes and decorate them. Fun and tasty!
(edited 11 years ago)
Cinema or the park
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Take her to a theme park, when I was 13 I loved going to them! Still do :biggrin:

Or if you are tight on money or don't live near one the cinema is the best bet, a chick flick is always good.

If you have no money:nodots: games (consoles or board games) are always a good idea! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Park with a bottle of cider or WKD?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending