The Student Room Group

YAY! UCAS now EMAIL YOU to CONFIRM your OFFER!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illyas
What is the possibility for emails servers such a hotmail to crash?

About zero.
Original post by beccamxx
Well the email said they wont be getting sent out until the 7th at least, and i assumed that was for the Scottish results or whatever :s-smilie:
Maybe what you got was just a normal track update, as the uni made their decision early?
And, well done btw :smile:

Oh...kay TSR decided not to post my reply :confused: but anyway it went something like this:

"Whoops :colondollar: I forgot to say that I have overseas qualifications so I got my results a while ago. Thank you, though! :smile: Good luck to you and everyone still waiting for their results!

I definitely remember logging into Track and seeing "Congrats! Your place has been confirmed!" but I honestly can't remember if it was a normal Track email or if it said anything special about my place :s-smilie: I even searched my email but it seems I deleted it and then emptied my deleted folder :frown:"
Original post by illyas
What is the possibility of hotmail crashing due to student traffic ?

Still about zero.

There are a few hundred thousand people who will be getting emails. There are over 300,000,000 Hotmail accounts. Even if we assume that every single person applying to university this year used a Hotmail address on UCAS, that still means one email per person to maybe 0.5% of all Hotmail accounts, at the most. Hotmail probably won't even notice. If any servers are going to crash it will be those at UCAS.
Reply 63
There's a 95% chance they'll **** it up.
Reply 64
Does anyone know if it will email you with your place or just email you to say track has been updated? I didn't really understand what it was trying to say, thanks in advance :smile:
http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/files/2012-05-09-maintaining-standards-in-summer-2012.pdf

From that, will A Level grade boundaries still be judged by the way the whole country performs, or from the performance will the boundaries be capped so only a certain percentage achieves each grade?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by 0000fw
Does anyone know if it will email you with your place or just email you to say track has been updated? I didn't really understand what it was trying to say, thanks in advance :smile:

They will email you, which will include details on the uni that youve been accepted into :smile:.. Its to encourage people to refrain from over loading there servers!
Reply 67
Original post by freedom123
They will email you, which will include details on the uni that youve been accepted into :smile:.. Its to encourage people to refrain from over loading there servers!

Thank you and good luck on your results :smile:
Original post by 0000fw
Thank you and good luck on your results :smile:

Thank You!! You too :smile:
Original post by Negaduck
There's a 95% chance they'll **** it up.

Wouldn't be surprised. I know someone who got rejected from Durham for Medicine, when she didnt even have a live application, and again someone who got a rejection for medicine at UEA, when she'd applied for English...
Original post by .snowflake.
Wouldn't be surprised. I know someone who got rejected from Durham for Medicine, when she didnt even have a live application, and again someone who got a rejection for medicine at UEA, when she'd applied for English...

If that actually did happen it would be a problem at Durham and UEA's end rather than the UCAS end.

UCAS are kind of like a giant post office - they get sent decisions by universities and then they send them out to the relevant people. They have no control over the decisions which are actually sent to them.
Original post by oxymoronic
If that actually did happen it would be a problem at Durham and UEA's end rather than the UCAS end.

UCAS are kind of like a giant post office - they get sent decisions by universities and then they send them out to the relevant people. They have no control over the decisions which are actually sent to them.

You would have thought that the universities would have bothered to check the offers before sending them though! I hope this email thing does work, and that the first part we see isnt 'Your UCAS application is un... ' because I will assume the rest is - sucessful.
Totally agree... Same with the results the text / email better not show my first result!!

Original post by freedom123
Totally agree... Same with the results the text / email better not show my first result!!

I've got to get my results old school style - i.e in a brown paper envelope with my name on it. I prefer it like that to be fair, wasnt impressed getting my january ones on a sheet of A4. Folded it in half, threw it in my bag and pretended I hadnt got them yet...
what time will they start sending out the emails?
This is so damn scary :frown:
Reply 76
Original post by SaySaam
But I didn't want to find out before I went to school and got my results :frown: Now I can't check my emails, or my phone on the morning of results, so I don't find out too soon :/

the subject line of your email is generic and wont tell you anything about the actual content of the email - so you can check your phone and just not open the email if you like..
Is it just me or is the prospect of finding out whether we have got in or not by email a million times more scary than by looking at Track?!

I have no idea why but it just seems more terrifying to me!
Sorry if this has been asked already, but will they just email us as soon as Track updates, after 8am or any time after 12? I'm a little confused by the whole thing :tongue:
Again, sorry if this has been asked/no one knows the answer!
Original post by Francesca777
Is it just me or is the prospect of finding out whether we have got in or not by email a million times more scary than by looking at Track?!

I have no idea why but it just seems more terrifying to me!

I'd only be worried in case some idiot makes a '[email protected]' (or something like that) account and sends confirmation emails to people for 'fun', causing everyone to panic (because I know myself I'd just see UCAS and panic!). Lets hope no one in our schools decide that the 16th is a perfect day to prank someone :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending