J foster
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 501
Original post by Kouji15
Hi!

I've been allocated a room at Bowder Court. Is it a good place to live? I've heard that GMS was the most sociable hall and that was I looking for but they've given to me an expensive room ( premium+ ensuite) and I don't really know if I can afford it but I don't dare to refuse the offer because i'm afraid of not to find another room so ( It happened to someone )

I've learnt that even if oadby student village is far from the town and The University we can buy a student saver ticket for the year thanks to Arriva. But does this bus only operate during the term time?? If I stay during vacation I would like going into town.

Anyone else is in Block AA fl 1? I don't want to be alone lol

Thanks !

Most people I know in Bowder liked it, probably the most sociable slef catered accommodation along with maybe the Coppice.

The one from right outside halls, the 80/80A, only runs during term times, but a bus called the 31 runs down London Rd every 10 mins all the time and is only about 5 mins walk halls. You're not quite as pampered as during term but it's not too bad :tongue:
Reply 503
Most people I know in Bowder liked it, probably the most sociable slef catered accommodation along with maybe the Coppice.

Ok thanks! that was I thought! I was really happy to know that I was in GMS hall ( even if it is really far from the town) but when I read the price I turned pale lol

The one from right outside halls, the 80/80A, only runs during term times, but a bus called the 31 runs down London Rd every 10 mins all the time and is only about 5 mins walk halls. You're not quite as pampered as during term but it's not too bad

And if you buy a student saver ticket it includes both lines? Haha it doesn't matter if I'm less pampered, I just want a bus XD

That's why I wanted to live in Oadby village! We don't have such a great student community and life in France!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 504
Original post by Kouji15
And if you buy a student saver ticket it includes both lines? Haha it doesn't matter if I'm less pampered, I just want a bus XD

If you get the yearly bus pass it includes all arriva buses in the leicester city area, so definitely the 80/80A, 31/31A (the one that runs down London Road) and some others as well such as the 47/48 which runs from the city centre to the University.
Reply 505
If you get the yearly bus pass it includes all arriva buses in the leicester city area, so definitely the 80/80A, 31/31A (the one that runs down London Road) and some others as well such as the 47/48 which runs from the city centre to the University.

Ok! thanks for the reply! :-) I'm eager to live overthere!
When are people moving into Nixon Court? What's the earliest we can move in? :smile:
Reply 507
Anyone have any experience of Beaumont Catered (En-Suite)?
Your so lucky that's one of the exact rooms I want (my first and second choice) the rooms are lovely!!!!

Original post by Kouji15
Hi!

I've been allocated a room at Bowder Court. Is it a good place to live? I've heard that GMS was the most sociable hall and that was I looking for but they've given to me an expensive room ( premium+ ensuite) and I don't really know if I can afford it but I don't dare to refuse the offer because i'm afraid of not to find another room so ( It happened to someone )

I've learnt that even if oadby student village is far from the town and The University we can buy a student saver ticket for the year thanks to Arriva. But does this bus only operate during the term time?? If I stay during vacation I would like going into town.

Anyone else is in Block AA fl 1? I don't want to be alone lol

Thanks !
Bowder Court is good - last year just over half of the blocks had been refurbished and were without doubt the best halls accommodation I've ever seen (especially the kitchens). The rumour is that the rest of the blocks are being refurbed over the summer. Everyone says that JoFo rooms are the best but in truth the refurbished Bowder Court buildings knock spots off JoFo (IMO) - and because of the layout of the place it still feels like student halls rather than like the Travelodge that is JoFo. Even the non-refurbs are good (IMO) and although are a bit tired, are still better than a lot of the other buildings I've seen.

In terms of being sociable then the character of each building is surely going to change each year depending on who lives there - that said Bowder Court is, I would have thought, a safe choice year on year because of the layout of the place and the huge number of people that live there. It's also quite central to the other major buildings and probably the best placed for catching buses in the morning - you've also got a pick of two bus stops without any detour to get to either which I would imagine is a godsend for 9am lectures.

As for the price of rooms - if you're definitely after self-catered I'd take the Bowder Court offer. Self catered rooms are rare at Leicester and if you've been offered one and really want one, take it. People on TSR are very picky about room cost but the reality seems to be that, by and large, what accommodation you're put in is a lottery (unless you volunteer for Mary Gee) and people manage to work round the cost of their room.

It's probably exceptionally foolish of me to say this (and I'm not known for being good at budgeting) but accommodation costs are paid in lump sums and tend to just be something you take on the chin and then adjust your budget to match later (within reason). I don't think that having a more expensive room is going to have as big an impact as you think it will (especially if you take a room you don't want which then has other implications), but YMMV
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay guys, this is probably a really stupid question, but in this booklet i got from the open day, the catered halls are only about £500 more expensive than self-catered. So does this price include the breakfast and dinner you get for the whole year, or do you still have to pay separately for these meals?

thanks guys! :biggrin:
Reply 511
Nixon Court Vs Opal Court

Any reviews for both? Which is better?
Original post by jess_m94
Okay guys, this is probably a really stupid question, but in this booklet i got from the open day, the catered halls are only about £500 more expensive than self-catered. So does this price include the breakfast and dinner you get for the whole year, or do you still have to pay separately for these meals?

It includes both but the general consensus is that no one makes it to breakfast. Reviews on the catered food itself vary between hall - Beaumont is said to be the last word in catering inadequacy but not having tried any of the catered food I can't really comment
Original post by TheFatController
It includes both but the general consensus is that no one makes it to breakfast. Reviews on the catered food itself vary between hall - Beaumont is said to be the last word in catering inadequacy but not having tried any of the catered food I can't really comment

Thank you! it just seems so cheap!

Hahaha i'll remember that ;D

Ewww, doesn't sound that great...although living off of 12p noodles doesn't sound that appealing either (something i have heard!) :tongue:

living off of 12p noodles doesn't sound that appealing either (something i have heard!) :tongue:

It really doesn't which is why I splashed out and lived off branded Pot Noodles for the second half of my first year
Original post by TheFatController
It really doesn't which is why I splashed out and lived off branded Pot Noodles for the second half of my first year

i think my mum will actually force me to go catered, as she doesnt believe that i wont spend all year eating pizza :biggrin:
now i can show her that there are worse things to eat :wink:
Reply 516

It's because you don't pay rent over Xmas and Ester like self catered do.

Beaumont food isn't that bad either, though admittedly not exactly haute cuisine!
Original post by roh
It's because you don't pay rent over Xmas and Ester like self catered do.

Beaumont food isn't that bad either, though admittedly not exactly haute cuisine!

x

You don't pay rent over Christmas and Easter but remember you do have to move everything back out and then back into your room again over the holidays.
Reply 518
catered meals in beaumont/digby isnt that bad!
Reply 519
Original post by inspiration91
When are people moving into Nixon Court? What's the earliest we can move in? :smile:

Moving in dates are 29/30 September - you'll be given one of the two dates closer to the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending