University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

The Leicester University chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by MariusSL
What would be the best way of getting from Gatwick airport to Leicester on a sunday?

Tjena!

i would think the best way would be to get a train into London from Gatwick and then a train from London to Leicester (i think there is a direct train but don't quote me!)

would still take a while to get there... train is probably the easiest way though in my opinion :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 841
Original post by Larsson
Tjena!

i would think the best way would be to get a train into London from Gatwick and then a train from London to Leicester (i think there is a direct train but don't quote me!)

would still take a while to get there... train is probably the easiest way though in my opinion :smile:

It's not direct from Gatwick but it's not too difficult. It would be a train from Gatwick to London St Pancras where you'd change for a train from St Pancras to Leicester. Quite good as it's all in one station (unusual in London. Check this website for times ticket prices etc.

Otherwise you could try a coach with National Express.
Reply 842
Original post by MariusSL
What's "damn expensive"? Just wondering what the costs of beer and basic food are in the campus area. I'm moving from another country, so I don't really have a clue on what the normal food and beverage prices are in the UK.

:smile:

Food isn't too bad if you work out what to get. Delicious is good price wise as is it's next door neighbour I've forgotten the name of. SU shop's not too bad, particularly some of the cheaper meal deals though you can soon rack up a fair amount if you don't get a meal deal.

Library cafe is steep, it seems to be as much for staff as students, and 1923 is very expensive.

Pint in the Union is 2.30 last time I was there for snakebite (though this may go up come september), some lagers are less than this, cocktails and so on more. Pint of coke is around a quid during the day.
Reply 843
Original post by roh
Food isn't too bad if you work out what to get. Delicious is good price wise as is it's next door neighbour I've forgotten the name of. SU shop's not too bad, particularly some of the cheaper meal deals though you can soon rack up a fair amount if you don't get a meal deal.

Library cafe is steep, it seems to be as much for staff as students, and 1923 is very expensive.

Pint in the Union is 2.30 last time I was there for snakebite (though this may go up come september), some lagers are less than this, cocktails and so on more. Pint of coke is around a quid during the day.

Not bad at all! A pint in a bar/pub in Norway is 6-7 quid. Thanks for useful info, looking forward to check those places out when I arrive :smile:
Reply 844
Original post by roh
It's not direct from Gatwick but it's not too difficult. It would be a train from Gatwick to London St Pancras where you'd change for a train from St Pancras to Leicester. Quite good as it's all in one station (unusual in London. Check this website for times ticket prices etc.

Otherwise you could try a coach with National Express.

Thanks guys! Really useful information:smile:
I'm thinking of joining new clubs, especially sports ones. I'm thinking basketball, boat and swimming clubs. If someone is from those clubs and can comment on it, it would be much appreciated
Anyone else still not heard about getting their deposits back from SUlets. They keep telling me, 'oh we're very busy at this point and we should be done with the last checks in the next week' which was at first due to be third week in July, then it just keeps extending from there.
Reply 847
Original post by The Cornerstone
I'm thinking of joining new clubs, especially sports ones. I'm thinking basketball, boat and swimming clubs. If someone is from those clubs and can comment on it, it would be much appreciated

I swim for uni, any particular qs?

These are the training times:

Monday AM - 7.00am - 8.00am (Sport Centre)
Monday PM - 8.00pm - 9.00pm (Oadby)
Tuesday PM - 8.00pm - 9.30pm (Manor Road)
Wednesday PM - 2.30pm - 4.30pm (Manor Road)
Friday AM - 7.00am - 8.00am (Sport Centre)
Friday PM - 8.00pm - 9.30pm (Oadby)
Saturday AM - 8.00am - 10.00am (Manor Road)
Sunday PM - 6.00pm - 8.00pm (Manor Road)

Few comps a year, main ones are BUCS (SC and LC) in Nov and Feb respectively and Varsity at the same time as all the other varsity games.

Socials are good, every couple of weeks on Wednesdays.

Not sure what the social swimming situation will be next year, because it's no longer necessary to be in ULSC in order to have pool access, but if you want to improve stroke/get some coaching I imagine you'd be more than welcome :smile:
Original post by roh
I swim for uni, any particular qs?

These are the training times:

Monday AM - 7.00am - 8.00am (Sport Centre)
Monday PM - 8.00pm - 9.00pm (Oadby)
Tuesday PM - 8.00pm - 9.30pm (Manor Road)
Wednesday PM - 2.30pm - 4.30pm (Manor Road)
Friday AM - 7.00am - 8.00am (Sport Centre)
Friday PM - 8.00pm - 9.30pm (Oadby)
Saturday AM - 8.00am - 10.00am (Manor Road)
Sunday PM - 6.00pm - 8.00pm (Manor Road)

Few comps a year, main ones are BUCS (SC and LC) in Nov and Feb respectively and Varsity at the same time as all the other varsity games.

Socials are good, every couple of weeks on Wednesdays.

Not sure what the social swimming situation will be next year, because it's no longer necessary to be in ULSC in order to have pool access, but if you want to improve stroke/get some coaching I imagine you'd be more than welcome :smile:

Yeah, I'll be looking for coaching and sort of refresher course since it's been donkeys years I'be been near a pool. I guess I wont be that worried about social swimming since I'm just looking for something to improve my stamina/keep fit and maybe take it competitively. Btw do you need specific swimsuits or something?:tongue:
Reply 849
Yeah, I'll be looking for coaching and sort of refresher course since it's been donkeys years I'be been near a pool. I guess I wont be that worried about social swimming since I'm just looking for something to improve my stamina/keep fit and maybe take it competitively. Btw do you need specific swimsuits or something?:tongue:

No, just not shorts. Most guys wear jammers, can wear speedos if you like.

Also, rowing and swimming is a brutal double, can be done but maybe just start with one.
Original post by roh
No, just not shorts. Most guys wear jammers, can wear speedos if you like.

Also, rowing and swimming is a brutal double, can be done but maybe just start with one.

Ah yeah that's what I thought.:tongue:

Yeah I know, I plan to take either of them and Basketball. Rowing and Swimming in the morning would tire me before my first lesson :lol:

What's SC and LC btw?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 851
Ah yeah that's what I thought.:tongue:

Yeah I know, I plan to take either of them and Basketball. Rowing and Swimming in the morning would tire me before my first lesson :lol:

What's SC and LC btw?

Short Course, so the pool's 25m long, and Long Course, pool's 50.
Original post by roh
Short Course, so the pool's 25m long, and Long Course, pool's 50.

Is the Oadby pool going to be 25m long?
Reply 853
Original post by SirMasterKey
Is the Oadby pool going to be 25m long?

From what I remember they said the new one up at Oadby is going to be 25 with 3 lanes so narrow but long.
Original post by roh
From what I remember they said the new one up at Oadby is going to be 25 with 3 lanes so narrow but long.

Cheers. That will be brutal when bust then. I've hated it when I've gone to the one on campus. In the slow lane as I'm not fast enough to go with the couple who are in the fast lane and just have a line of people doing breast stroke when I want to do freestyle. So annoying >_<
Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to set up emails on my phone (HTC), but it keeps telling me my username and password are incorrect :s-smilie: Is it the same username and password as you use to log into Blackboard?
I have to choose between Leicester and Nottingham for Business Management.
Hardest decision EVER.

Anything you guys can add that would help me would be appreciated
I'm so glad I'm not on campus right now. It's Sabb officers time with loads of students promising the earth when they won't be able to deliver it.

How one candidate can claim to have co founded an agency that was formed before she technically took over the role is staggering. I doubt her claim to it really.
Reply 858
hey guys!
who of you guys will be going to University of Leicester this fall?
Reply 859
Hi everyone, congratulations on your results this morning and getting into the University of Leicester!

I play rugby for the women's team and we're currently looking for some new members for the 2013/14 season. We welcome ladies of all abilities, and if you've never played before, don't worry! Many of the freshers last year (myself included) had never played and I now cannot imagine my life without it!

We're a lovely bunch of girls who love to keep fit, have a laugh and roll about it the mud. If you fancy giving rugby a go, or simply want to ask some of our members questions, we are on facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/groups/583075838404395/ ) and twitter ( https://twitter.com/ULWRFC ) .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending