The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Original post by Theafricanlegend
do medicine prospective undergraduates need to ttake the GAMSAT?

No. The GAMSAT is only for applicants applying for Graduate-Entry Medicine. :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
No. The GAMSAT is only for applicants applying for Graduate-Entry Medicine. :smile:

thank you. Positive rep.
Original post by Vulpes

And non-school leavers (say if you were working for 5 years, but still an undergrad) applying to Exeter or Plymouth :smile:

As for that page, needs finishing, but that was Beska's child so I'm leaving it to him :tongue:
What scores would you guys think I would need to get for these medical schools (GEP)?

Imperial, King's, Bart's and St George's - all graduate entry

I will most probably get a 2:1.
Original post by Unfavourably
What scores would you guys think I would need to get for these medical schools (GEP)?

Imperial, King's, Bart's and St George's - all graduate entry

I will most probably get a 2:1.

I don't know about ICL
I've heard that KCL is usually in the mid 700s
Barts last year was 2770, so 692.5 average
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/gep_medicine_ukcat_cut_off_score
and SGUL uses the GAMSAT for GEM
Reply 1165
Ahhh well I'm doomed :frown: I wanna get into Sheffield.... See how things go!
I seem to have done like the worst possible choices. I wanted to apply to Sheffield and King's, but I'm taking UKCAT next week, and I hardly think I'l get anything above 500... really... It's good I've read this thread before sending application, though!
Reply 1167
Original post by innuendos
I seem to have done like the worst possible choices. I wanted to apply to Sheffield and King's, but I'm taking UKCAT next week, and I hardly think I'l get anything above 500... really... It's good I've read this thread before sending application, though!

Well Sheffield apparently does not have a very high cut-off any more and with Kings it would depend on your GCSE grades too. Also you never really know what score you'll get, a lot comes down the day so you could be pleasantly surprised.
Reply 1168
SGUL now has cutoff for the UKCAT score. For the 2012 cycle it was 625, but I think its far to say that it is probably only going to go up from here until it reaches the mid to upper 600s. But you are right about them having loads of competition at the interview stage, they essentially interview everyone who meets their min. requirements of avg 8 As at GCSE and AAAb at AS/A2 and UKCAT cut off.
Reply 1169
Sheffield used to be something like 670 cut-off for your UKCAT score... but they've changed it to 600 now which is the national average apparantly :h: I want to go to Sheffield or Liverpool, my UKCAT is on the 30th August :s-smilie:

Hey is Manchester a good uni for medicine?
Reply 1170

Original post by emma.bcx
Sheffield used to be something like 670 cut-off for your UKCAT score... but they've changed it to 600 now which is the national average apparantly :h: I want to go to Sheffield or Liverpool, my UKCAT is on the 30th August :s-smilie:

Hey is Manchester a good uni for medicine?

Yes every medical school in the uk is a good uni for medicine.
Reply 1171
Original post by myyrh

Yes every medical school in the uk is a good uni for medicine.

I know but I've heard they do group interviews or something..? And apparently people get really domineering in them. Also the satisfaction rate is only 69% ??
Reply 1172
I know but I've heard they do group interviews or something..? And apparently people get really domineering in them. Also the satisfaction rate is only 69% ??

They have a group task but the actual interview isn't conducted in a group. Manchester Is an old and very well established medical school which produces excellent doctors, you only need to talk to current students and you'll see that the 69% is not reflective on most.
Reply 1173
Original post by myyrh
They have a group task but the actual interview isn't conducted in a group. Manchester Is an old and very well established medical school which produces excellent doctors, you only need to talk to current students and you'll see that the 69% is not reflective on most.

Oh ok thank you, feeling better now! Any idea what the task is?? :smile:
Reply 1174
Oh ok thank you, feeling better now! Any idea what the task is?? :smile:

No idea, sorry. It's unlikely that they would use the same task every year though.
Reply 1175
hey guys..

i got 632.5 average for ukcat today..its quite low compared to others..
i got 9A*s and 1A for gcse

where dya think i should apply?
Original post by kimm
hey guys..

i got 632.5 average for ukcat today..its quite low compared to others..
i got 9A*s and 1A for gcse

where dya think i should apply?

Hi, I was almost in the same position as you last year! I got 640 avg on the UKCAT and 9A* at GCSE. What's important to remember is that although your score seems low in comparison to TSR, believe me, it is not representative of everyone that has taken the UKCAT. You just have to be tactical about where you apply. For instance, if you do the BMAT you could consider applying to UCL, Imperial or Oxbridge. Also, a few places, like Leicester, combine your GCSE score and UKCAT to decide who they are going to interview, and with your GCSEs it would be a good idea to think about applying to Birmingham. hth and good luck! :smile:
Reply 1177
Original post by Baki
First up, don't worry. If you have a below average UKCAT score, there are still institutions that will take you. Yes, even the ones that use the UKCAT.

EDIT: By bad I mean anything between 599 - 500.

So your options are:

1) Non-UKCAT Universities:

- Which include BMAT Uni's:

UCL

Imperial

Oxbridge

-Non-Aptitude Test Unis:

Birmingham (7A* Min needed)

Liverpool

Apparently Bristol (if this is wrong, hang Degauser for me)

2) UKCAT Unis:

Now, with this one, you have to search for uni's that don't put an emphasis on the UKCAT.

Keele (Need 4 A's in GCSE)

Aberdeen (8% weighting)

St. Andrews

St. Georges (Interview stage is tough, loads of competition)

Dundee

Southampton (SOTON)

UEA

Cardiff [Used to differentiate between similar candidates]

Some other ones. Hopefully the others will fill me in.

Apparently, Hull & York

Unis to Avoid:

Kings (Unless you have 10A*)

Brighton and Sussex Medical School [Read Exerpt Below regarding BSMS]

Barts and London

Sheffield (Need about 660 to possibly 670 to pass the cut-off)

Manchester

Some other ones.

Note Regarding Brighton and Sussex Medical School

Spoiler

Notable Mentions: I know Newcastle seems to be a popular choice for a lot of you. I think I should mention that Newcastle scores the UKCAT as part of their criteria for an interview. The score is given after ranking your UKCAT score compared to their other candidates.

This year a candidate got an offer with 610 in the UKCAT at Newcastle.

So all in all, if you get poor UKCAT grades its not the end of the world. It just means you might have to change your plans around a bit.

EDIT 3: Love you guys/gals who repped me. :love:

Wait I swear brighton and sussex don't use the UKCAT unless its for borderline situations after the interview. I phoned up the school last month and was told this. I have a score of 612.5 on my UKCAT and I was considering BSMS but now I'm worried. Should I be?
Original post by Isometrix
mate you don't need a good ukcat for Newcastle!! my mate got an offer with around 610.

it's only king's and sheffield where you need HIGH ukcat scores (670+)

My friend got an offer for Kings last year with 635.

:smile:
Original post by AnthonyShock
My friend got an offer for Kings last year with 635.

:smile:

Haha when did I post that?!?! I can't even remember.

I do recall King's using academics (GCSEs mainly) and UKCAT for interviews, and that a higher number of A*s could offset a slightly lower UKCAT. But then again this was at least 3-4 years ago :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending