The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2013

Hello Everyone,

I know this seems abit too early but I wanted to see if there's anyone else here considering applying for performance-related courses in 2013. So, I'm considering applying for -

BA (Hons) Acting Birmingham School of Acting
BA (Hons) Acting LIPA
BA (Hons) Acting Manchester Met
BA (Hons) Drama Manchester Met

I was hopping to get advice about anyone who have studied at these places or ideas on monologues and songs for the auditions. If any of you's have questions you want to ask feel ask on this and I hope someone will reply soon. :smile::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey i'm looking to apply in 2013 as well! im thinking of applying to loads just because they're soo hard to get into i might as well try for loads :/ are you trying for any foundation courses or just BA ones? because apparently foundations are slightly easier to get onto and then once you do one its easier to get onto a BA course but obviously have no idea if thats true or not!
im thinking of applying to central (BA) rose bruford (BA) drama centre (BA and foundation) east 15 (BA and foundation) italia conti (BA) RADA (foundation and BA) LAMDA (foundation and BA) and probably afew others too!
Reply 2
I wanted to do BA because i think i would prepare me more for the indurstry i was thinking about East 15 but they didnt have accomidation so it was a problem for me to go also they didnt have an open day and i think te open days are good to get a feel if you suit the corse and the place because everywhen may teach BA acting but they all cover diffrent topics. Im thinking of applying to do drama in Manchester Met and University of Essex as a back up and then a MA in a drama school.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Just thought I would give my view, I'm lucky enough to have gained a BA place at Central next year and I totally agree, if you can get to an open day go! They give you such a vibe of the place not just the teaching, but the general life of the schools. And don't let the accommodation problem stop you, Central has very little/ if any student halls so almost everyone goes into house shares, in my view it will be better.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hello, I'm currently preparing to apply for BA Acting at, Central, LAMDA, Arts Ed, ALRA, RADA, Rose Bruford and possibly Manchester Met. (The more the merrier I suppose!) It's nice to see I'm not the only one preparing now! I'm really seriously struggling on my Personal Statement at the moment! On monologues, I've been sourcing and purchasing my plays for monologues from www.stageplays.com, then buying them on Amazon UK, and I've bought The Complete Works Of William Shakespeare, so I can pick a monologue that hopefully isn't too overused and is perfect for me. I'm really excited, nerves haven't kicked in yet, I think it's because auditioning doesn't feel real to me yet.
Hope everyone's preparations are going well!
x
Reply 5
Yo guys, whats up :smile:
My name's Chris and I am also consider of applying to a drama school this year. I did my research for a long time and I have some of my main choices, however, it is always very nice to see what others have chosen. I saw from the upper comments that Birmingham and Manchester are among your choosings. I just wanted to ask you why exactly do you chose them and what do you thing of the acting courses there. I also consider them, however, my main choice would be Royal Conservatory of Scotland. In short, I would like to study at a place where the teachers are more focused in your practical( stage movement, voice control. of course a lot of improvisation) rather that your theoretical work and RCS is definetily one of those places. No point of commenting RADA and LAMDA, since they are the top of the top here. Still, good luck in advance. Hope to hear more from you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello i'm preparing to apply at RADA, Central, LAMDA, Guildhall and the Royal conservatoire of Scotland. it's nice to see others people preparing so early:smile:
I quiet recognise myself in chris statement about RCS, i mean of course Rada&Cie are the top drama school, but RCS seems to be more "friendly", i don't know if i'm making sense here :smile: do you guys know if there's an unarmed stage combat training at RCS?
good luck with yours preparations.
PS: as english is not my native language i apologie in advance if i made some mistakes.
Reply 7
Hiya!
The earlier the better - although i'm starting to panic already!

So, went to open days at Central and LIPA - absolutely loved LIPA and Central i liked although from the day itself seemed rather pretentious/fake...but hoping that was just the day and not the school.
And there's an open day at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in October which i cannot wait for cos you do a workshop and get to see a performance which is way different from the other open days.

Aside from that i'm applying for the BA acting courses at:
UCAS:
LIPA
Central
Drama Centre
Manchester Met
Rose Bruford

and non-UCAS:
RADA
LAMDA
Guildford
Guildhall
Mountview
ALRA
Bristol Old Vic

CUKAS:
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

Although this is absolutely loads i'm hoping to chisel down once all the 2013 prospectus' have come out and i've been round to more open days.

Do the audition panel prefer funny/serious monologues? I know they don't like ones with complete extremes of emotion - like really angry - at least not for the whole thing.

In terms of doing a Foundation course- you can still apply after you've heard if you've got on to the BA acting so I may do that. Also Foundations are really pricey and at places like LIPA/Central don't offer any financial help.

In any case, got to be realistic!
LIPA is 2400 applicants for 32 places, whilst central is 5000 for 18 so future planning is a necessity! (on the plus side, be able to travel for a year if i don't get in!)

(omg that was so long and probably really boring did so not mean to write my whole life plan on here sozza)
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Although I have not gone for an acting school audition, I'm fully convinced that they don't favour humor,(unless you can really pull it off),bare in mind there a thousand other people auditioning if that little humor error is to fail or they just don't like it (lol as harsh as that sounds it happens), that's what puts the other person at a better advantage than you, however make sure your audition pieces are two different mental states so for instance your Shakespearean piece can be emotional whilst your modern piece is happy, relaxed or whatever state or vice versa, hope this helps :smile:

Wish you all good luck with your auditions, I certainly need it.. if I don't chicken out & do a psychology degree

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT18i
Reply 9
Hello everyone!!
I will apply for a 2013 entry to the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland!! I am interested in Technical and Production Arts though and i'm not sure if there are any others here that are interested in similar courses :crazy:

I would like some help with the portfolio needed!! Do one have to send queue sheets and stuff with the degrees and other documentation or you show your experience at the interview??

(i am sorry if i made any mistakes as English is not my mother language:hide: )
Hi guys (:

I'm gonna be applying soon, so far I'm looking at:

ArtsEd (My favourite because it does a BA in Acting for Film and Television)
ALRA
BSA
Bristol OldVic
Italia Conti (I spent a week here at a summer school and loved it)
Oxford School of Speech and Drama
Drama Centre

And I'm going to an Open Day at Rose Bruford.

My list was a lot bigger but these are my favourite schools so far (:
Reply 11
Hello, everyone!

I'm Mon (well Monika, to be clear:biggrin:) and I'm also going to apply for Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, BA Acting. I've heard a lot of good things about this school (I've been scrutinizing it since 2009:biggrin:). But finally, my time has come and I want to get in so badly! Well, FINGERS CROSSED..:colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by monic
Hello, everyone!

I'm Mon (well Monika, to be clear:biggrin:) and I'm also going to apply for Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, BA Acting. I've heard a lot of good things about this school (I've been scrutinizing it since 2009:biggrin:). But finally, my time has come and I want to get in so badly! Well, FINGERS CROSSED..:colondollar:

Hi Monika! :smile:

Are you going to apply for 2013 entry?
Have you researched about what kind of degree awarding powers the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland has??

I want to apply for Technical and production Arts though :tongue:
In their brochure they say that they award their own degrees and i would like to know whether Technical and production Arts is granded with a bachelor degree and from what institute.
Is Royal Conservatoire of Scotland an Academy now??

(This question doesn't go just to you but to anyone who can help :smile:)
Thanks and sorry for my English:tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Vasso
Hi Monika! :smile:

Are you going to apply for 2013 entry?
Have you researched about what kind of degree awarding powers the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland has??

I want to apply for Technical and production Arts though :tongue:
In their brochure they say that they award their own degrees and i would like to know whether Technical and production Arts is granded with a bachelor degree and from what institute.
Is Royal Conservatoire of Scotland an Academy now??

(This question doesn't go just to you but to anyone who can help :smile:)
Thanks and sorry for my English:tongue:

Hi. I'm not sure whether I understood your question. Royal Conservatoire of Scotland use to be Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, but quite recently they've changed their name. I'm not sure if I answered your question:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by monic
Hi. I'm not sure whether I understood your question. Royal Conservatoire of Scotland use to be Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, but quite recently they've changed their name. I'm not sure if I answered your question:smile:

My question is: is Royal Conservatoire of Scotland still an Academy since they have changed their name?
I am a little bit confused...
I am not sure what kind of institute they are...
Thank you for your answer :smile:

*edit* Good luck with your application!!! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Vasso
My question is: is Royal Conservatoire of Scotland still an Academy since they have changed their name?
I am a little bit confused...
I am not sure what kind of institute they are...
Thank you for your answer :smile:

*edit* Good luck with your application!!! :smile:

oh, dear, i have no idea.:confused: I think they are.:rolleyes: But I can't be 100% sure. Geez, maybe someone else has an answer to your question. hm.. anyone? please?:biggrin:

P.S. Thank you, good luck to you too:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by monic
oh, dear, i have no idea.:confused: I think they are.:rolleyes: But I can't be 100% sure. Geez, maybe someone else has an answer to your question. hm.. anyone? please?:biggrin:

P.S. Thank you, good luck to you too:wink:

It's ok, i'm still on the search and seems i have plenty of time :wink:
It would be good to know though... (so...anyone?? :biggrin:)
Thank you honey!!:smile:
Reply 17
Somehow it feels sleepy out here.:eek: Maybe someone wants to share some experiences in acting or expectations from chosen universities?:smile:
Reply 18
Yeaaaaaaaah, well I am considering a couple of choices, however, I was waiting for someone else to share his as well. As said early my main one is RCS, since I think they have a pretty good acting environment and the practical focus over your abilities is very important for me, which is why they are my main choice. I am also considering of applying Brimingham Acting school, since I have been hearing and reading pretty good words about it, however, never been to the place so I don't know what exactly to expect. Normally London is a pretty expensive city but the main acting schools are there, however, I was focusing on something around it, like also Oxford acting school, which I know is also pretty solid and good. Mainly I am not from UK so I am not aware of all the acting schools, regarding how good exactly they are, etc. This is why I was waiting for a guy from the UK to, u know, say something like a person living there, because surely he would know more, pretty much because he is just near these places.
Hope its something, but in time I ll add some more stuff.
Luck to ya all :smile:
Reply 19
Hi :smile:
I'm applying to Performing arts at:

Urdang
Italia Conti
Mountview
ArtsEd
and Uni of Chichester

Good luck to all of you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest