The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7260
Good afternoon, does anyone know the best way to get from Edinburgh to St Andrews...On the website it says you can go by train to Leuchars and then by bus or you could get a bus directly from Edinburgh. Can you tell me more or less the prices of the buses( I didnt find them on the website) and which way you think it's better? Thanks
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 7261
Original post by nad4321
Good afternoon, does anyone know the best way to get from Edinburgh to St Andrews...On the website it says you can go by train to Leuchars and then by bus or you could get a bus directly from Edinburgh. Can you tell me more or less the prices of the buses( I didnt find them on the website) and which way you think it's better? Thanks

The thing I don't know about the buses the price, having never slummed it there myself. :rolleyes:

But the train is pretty damn good, takes about an hour and it's usually not that busy. It is kinda lame that you then have to either wait for a bus at Leuchars, or pay a tenner for a taxi though, especially with a lot of bags. But if you time it well you can usually find a bus that goes by your hall, since if you arrive in St A bus station with a load of luggage you'll need to take a bus or taxi to your hall anyway. (Well, I'm speaking as someone who has only ever lived in one of those terrible far away places like DRA, so it might be doable if you live in JB or something).

The bus obviously takes longer but is cheaper. And it's a bus so that's kinda lame. You'll obviously have the advantage of having to change transport less, and it probably seems like the more hassle free way.

Personally, if I thought I could haul all my **** down the steps at Leuchars I'd choose train every time. Busw*nkers!
Reply 7262
Original post by nad4321

Yes there are buses that go straight to St. Andrews. Abour £10 is you ask for a student ticket to St. Andrews from Edinburgh. Get the X59.
Reply 7263
Original post by Oxy
Yes there are buses that go straight to St. Andrews. Abour £10 is you ask for a student ticket to St. Andrews from Edinburgh. Get the X59.

£10 from Edinburgh to St Andrews? And what do I need to have to ask for a student ticket?
And the buses from Leuchars to St Andrews which route is it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7264
Original post by nad4321
£10 from Edinburgh to St Andrews? And what do I need to have to ask for a student ticket?
And the buses from Leuchars to St Andrews which route is it?

The number 99 from leuchars to St. Andrews. You need some sort of Student ID card. Seeing as you won't have your matric card yet it might be a bit hard unless you already have some sort of student card. Could just tell them youre a fresher and havent got your matric card yet.
Original post by Evan7788
Thanks
PRSOM

Ive also seen people ask about this. They emailed the uni and they said its a glitch that theyre working on fixing, but someone just tried opening the page up in a different browser and it worked for them.
Reply 7266
I was wondering about foundation year students.How full is the year ? Is it hard to pass and also how was the application process and all ? Thank you
If we would like to try and become a student ambassador when do we signup?
Original post by p.anamarija
Ive also seen people ask about this. They emailed the uni and they said its a glitch that theyre working on fixing, but someone just tried opening the page up in a different browser and it worked for them.

Ah i see, didn't work for me though :frown:
Original post by Kingbradley6
If we would like to try and become a student ambassador when do we signup?

There are talks on during freshers week about it. Think it's Monday 4pm, Tuesday 11am and Wednesday 10am.
Original post by Oxy
Exactly what it says, my virtual server (hosted by CS) that I can access through a shell account. When I try to tunnel traffic through it, the same ports are blocked as ResNet. The wireless on the other hand is totally restriction free :s-smilie:

I'm still not sure what you mean - are you just talking about <user>.host.cs or have they set up something different for you?
Just doing my module choices and found that Geology and Physics clash, this leaves me completely screwed as to what to take, even astrophysics is only an hour before either of those so can't take it either.

Any advice as to what to do?
even astrophysics is only an hour before either of those so can't take it either.

How so? Lectures are only usually 1 hour & there are normally several lab sessions per week of which you only have to attend 1.
Original post by lost eden
How so? Lectures are only usually 1 hour & there are normally several lab sessions per week of which you only have to attend 1.

Astrophysics and geology are quite far-away and i doubt i could make the journey in 5 minutes.
Astrophysics and geology are quite far-away and i doubt i could make the journey in 5 minutes.

What modules/times are you looking at, I can't work it out looking at the timetable.
You can take classes that are right after one another, you'd have 10 minutes to get to the classes which is easily doable (you don't know where the classes are held?) and even then, people will always be coming in and/or leaving late.
Original post by Ecosse_14
What modules/times are you looking at, I can't work it out looking at the timetable.
You can take classes that are right after one another, you'd have 10 minutes to get to the classes which is easily doable (you don't know where the classes are held?) and even then, people will always be coming in and/or leaving late.

ES1001 (Introduction to planet earth) and PH1011 (Physics 1A) are both at noon, i was planning on doing both but by the looks of things i can't.

That would be fine as i would substitute in AS1001 (Astronomy 1) for physics 1A but AS1001 is only an hour before ES1001 and i wasn't sure i could make the journey in that time.

Thanks
ES1001 (Introduction to planet earth) and PH1011 (Physics 1A) are both at noon, i was planning on doing both but by the looks of things i can't.

That would be fine as i would substitute in AS1001 (Astronomy 1) for physics 1A but AS1001 is only an hour before ES1001 and i wasn't sure i could make the journey in that time.

Thanks

Ah right. Yes, you can definitely take Astronomy at 11 then ES at 12, easily doable :smile:
In theory lectures finish at five-minutes-to the hour & begin at five-minutes-past the hour, to give people 10 minutes to walk from lectures on the North Haugh (such as Physics & Astronomy) to lectures in town (such as Geology). It's a rush but it's perfectly doable - speaking from experience, I had Computer Science at 9am followed by Geology at 10am in my 2nd year.

Also you may well find that your Geology lectures are on the North Haugh anyway - the lecture theatre in the Geology building isn't as big as those on the North Haugh, so it depends on numbers as to where the lectures will actually be. Both semester of my 1st year geology lectures were in the Chemistry building on the North Haugh.
Original post by Ecosse_14
Ah right. Yes, you can definitely take Astronomy at 11 then ES at 12, easily doable :smile:

Original post by lost eden
In theory lectures finish at five-minutes-to the hour & begin at five-minutes-past the hour, to give people 10 minutes to walk from lectures on the North Haugh (such as Physics & Astronomy) to lectures in town (such as Geology). It's a rush but it's perfectly doable - speaking from experience, I had Computer Science at 9am followed by Geology at 10am in my 2nd year.

Also you may well find that your Geology lectures are on the North Haugh anyway - the lecture theatre in the Geology building isn't as big as those on the North Haugh, so it depends on numbers as to where the lectures will actually be. Both semester of my 1st year geology lectures were in the Chemistry building on the North Haugh.

Awesome, that's great.
Hypothetical question -- could a second year student start a new language and still meet the requirements for continuing in Honours (3rd-4th years)? Or would you really need to start that language your first year?

Latest

Trending

Trending