The Student Room Group

First car crash - too much stress pls help :-(((

:frown:
hi guys, been driving for about 1 1/2 years now, had my first crash.

basically i was on the approach to a t junction, a car was tailgating me, when i stopped, or was slowing to a stop, i think he reared me (there was damage to the rear of my car), shunting me past the stop line, there was an oncoming car and i tried to drive out the way but we crashed.

the car that was behind me drove off immediately but witnesses took his registration. my insurance have chased it up and said he is saying he wasnt even at the scene of the accident, he was at home and his car is not damaged.

my questions to you people are
a) how long does the police investigation for these things take and when might i hear the outcome?

b) who determines liability - police or insurers?

c) will i have to pay any money to anyone?

d) my insurers said to claim from the MIB motor insurance bureu for untraced drivers, but i saw online this claim can take up to three years????

please help im getting so stressed, i just want it to be over, there is non stop papaerwork :-((((

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ur insurance company will take care of everything so dont worry.
Reply 2
Original post by naman
ur insurance company will take care of everything so dont worry.

yes but they just keep sending me forms and im really stressed???

do you know the answers to any of the questions in my OP?
Reply 3
Original post by shinytoy
yes but they just keep sending me forms and im really stressed???

do you know the answers to any of the questions in my OP?

if it is deemed as your fault (unlikely by what u say) and u claim something for ur car u will have to pay ur excess and lose ur NCB.

as u said the car who rear ended u doesn't say there was any damage so ur fine with that regardless of whether they hit you or not.
Reply 4
First, chill out, these things happen hundreds of times a day every day on british streets so all the involved parties know what they're supposed to do. At least you're OK :smile:. Your insurance company will not leave you high and dry because they just wont get your business again and know you'll probably name and shame them!

Ring them up and say you're unsure how the process works and ask them to explain what steps you need to take step by step. You have witnessess to say that car was at the scene then and there so it's unlikely his story about not being there will wash.

If all else fails, small claims court against the driver of the car behind for all the damages and costs.
Reply 5
Your first car crash?

There's going to be more!?
Original post by closey95
Your first car crash?

I wouldn't be too surprised if there were going by her previous threads about learning to drive.
Reply 7
Original post by closey95
Your first car crash?

What? How did you glean that from what she said?

She said it was her first car crash so that we'd know she doesn't understand the process etc.

What a tool.
Reply 8
Original post by james1211
What? How did you glean that from what she said?

She said it was her first car crash so that we'd know she doesn't understand the process etc.

What a tool.

yeah i just meant, i've never been in anything like this before and im really stressed and panicing.

i saw this whole process takes many months to three years to sort out. is this true???
Reply 9
i remember you from my learning to drive thread.. sorry to hear about this! it sounds like this wasnt your fault though. if there are witnesses, this will go in your favour. he will get done over big time for leaving the scene etc. the insurance will sort you out, its their job. have you got any injuries such as whiplash or anything?

basically i was on the approach to a t junction, a car was tailgating me, when i stopped, or was slowing to a stop, i think he reared me (there was damage to the rear of my car), shunting me past the stop line, there was an oncoming car and i tried to drive out the way but we crashed.

the car that was behind me drove off immediately but witnesses took his registration. my insurance have chased it up and said he is saying he wasnt even at the scene of the accident, he was at home and his car is not damaged.

a) how long does the police investigation for these things take and when might i hear the outcome?

d) my insurers said to claim from the MIB motor insurance bureu for untraced drivers, but i saw online this claim can take up to three years????

please help im getting so stressed, i just want it to be over, there is non stop papaerwork :-((((

Someone drove into my boyfriend a few years ago and drove off (we think he was drunk). We rang the police to get an incident number which we gave to the insurance company. Turns out the man had a FAKE reg plate! It took from Nov to Feb the following year for the insurance to sort it out, but they eventually did.
Just fill in the forms and wait.
Reply 11
Original post by mosmof
i remember you from my learning to drive thread.. sorry to hear about this! it sounds like this wasnt your fault though. if there are witnesses, this will go in your favour. he will get done over big time for leaving the scene etc. the insurance will sort you out, its their job. have you got any injuries such as whiplash or anything?

oh yeah i remember you too! :smile:
i was doing well... one and a half years with no accidents....:frown:

im lucky, two cars were written off including mine but the only injury was a small cut on my head frm my airbag which needed stitches, minor whiplash and a couple sprains.

im not bothered about the money, though insurance reckons i can get £3k. (my car cost less than a third of that!)

i AM VERY worried about the police investigation though. what if my witnesses only saw my car hit the other car, and not see the guy who shunted me over the t junction? then will i get done for careless driving and have to go court or something ??? :confused: :frown:

Original post by jaime1986
Someone drove into my boyfriend a few years ago and drove off (we think he was drunk). We rang the police to get an incident number which we gave to the insurance company. Turns out the man had a FAKE reg plate! It took from Nov to Feb the following year for the insurance to sort it out, but they eventually did.
Just fill in the forms and wait.

couldnt the police find the guy?

how long did the police investigation take?
Reply 12
oh yeah i remember you too! :smile:
i was doing well... one and a half years with no accidents....:frown:

im lucky, two cars were written off including mine but the only injury was a small cut on my head frm my airbag which needed stitches, minor whiplash and a couple sprains.

im not bothered about the money, though insurance reckons i can get £3k. (my car cost less than a third of that!)

i AM VERY worried about the police investigation though. what if my witnesses only saw my car hit the other car, and not see the guy who shunted me over the t junction? then will i get done for careless driving and have to go court or something ??? :confused: :frown:

Didn't you say they got their REG? They saw them hit you otherwise they wouldn't take the plate.

Calm down and let your insurance sort it - That's who you pay extortinate fees to :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by tomrw
Didn't you say they got their REG? They saw them hit you otherwise they wouldn't take the plate.

Calm down and let your insurance sort it - That's who you pay extortinate fees to :smile:

no but the guy who tried to drive off, they wrote down his plate but he is saying he was at home at the time of accident and his car was not damaged. so my insurers are saying we got the wrong guy, even though his car matches my and the witnesses description.

my insurers said they are not involved in the police investigation.

this worries me because im still in my 1st 2 years so if i end up with 6 points then i have to retake my test
Reply 14
hi guys

anyone had experience of dealing with them? how long do they take to investigate a car accident?

if my insurers treat it as no fault, does that mean the traffic justice unit will also?

what investigation do they do over and above the on-site investigations at the time of the accident?

im worried because

a) if they put points on my licence i will need to retake my test as im a new driver

b) if they question me abut it in a couple months time i wont remember anything?

how long do their investigations take and what does it involve?

A) Police involvement in this can well be half hearted and simply going through the motions unless someone was injured. They simply dont care. As for time frames - how longs a piece of string?

B) - a combination of the two - ok if it cant be determined that the guy who shunted you was not at the scene of the accident then it will go down as a fault against you - its the way insurance works theres always has to be someone liable. That being said as its you who will be liable the your insurance company will fight to prove if the other driver was there. If he was then hes at fault and your golder.

C) You will pay your excess to the garage who does your repairs - and thats it. If you are found to be at non fault you may be able to claim the excess back. Providing your insurance covers you of course

D) Yes that can take a very long time, like most UK bureaucratic agencies they are notorious for knuckle dragging.
no but the guy who tried to drive off, they wrote down his plate but he is saying he was at home at the time of accident and his car was not damaged. so my insurers are saying we got the wrong guy, even though his car matches my and the witnesses description.

my insurers said they are not involved in the police investigation.

this worries me because im still in my 1st 2 years so if i end up with 6 points then i have to retake my test

it happens a lot in insurance with the wrong liscence plate being taken down and it does happen that driver A who was in the accident could have a similar car to Driver B who was not involved.

Your insurance company will communicate but wont be directly involved though they should run an investigation of their own. At least the company i worked for did.

You wont get points on your liscence for an accident, so dont worry there
Reply 17
hey, many thanks for your reply, very helpful :smile:

Original post by silverbolt
A) Police involvement in this can well be half hearted and simply going through the motions unless someone was injured. They simply dont care. As for time frames - how longs a piece of string?

B) - a combination of the two - ok if it cant be determined that the guy who shunted you was not at the scene of the accident then it will go down as a fault against you - its the way insurance works theres always has to be someone liable. That being said as its you who will be liable the your insurance company will fight to prove if the other driver was there. If he was then hes at fault and your golder.

C) You will pay your excess to the garage who does your repairs - and thats it. If you are found to be at non fault you may be able to claim the excess back. Providing your insurance covers you of course

D) Yes that can take a very long time, like most UK bureaucratic agencies they are notorious for knuckle dragging.

thanks. my insurers have said they are treating it as 'no fault'. do you think they will have looked at the police report? does this mean the police think im not at fault either?

the reason im so stressed about the police is because they said it is being investigated by the police criminal justice unit. if i get points, im a new driver so my licence will be taken away. i dont see the point in the police interviewing me about an accident 4 months after it happened? what if i forget?

foolishly, my car was worth £800 and i offered £600 excess so my insurers paid out £200 very quickly.

Original post by silverbolt
it happens a lot in insurance with the wrong liscence plate being taken down and it does happen that driver A who was in the accident could have a similar car to Driver B who was not involved.

Your insurance company will communicate but wont be directly involved though they should run an investigation of their own. At least the company i worked for did.

You wont get points on your liscence for an accident, so dont worry there

im worried if they cant find the car that shunted me, if the witnesses only saw me drive into the path of the oncoming vehicle after i was shunted (to move out the way) and didnt see him shunt me, that i will be done for careless driving and have my licence taken away?? two cars were written off, it was a serious accident???i was injured but only a little
hey, many thanks for your reply, very helpful :smile:

thanks. my insurers have said they are treating it as 'no fault'. do you think they will have looked at the police report? does this mean the police think im not at fault either?

the reason im so stressed about the police is because they said it is being investigated by the police criminal justice unit. if i get points, im a new driver so my licence will be taken away. i dont see the point in the police interviewing me about an accident 4 months after it happened? what if i forget?

foolishly, my car was worth £800 and i offered £600 excess so my insurers paid out £200 very quickly.

im worried if they cant find the car that shunted me, if the witnesses only saw me drive into the path of the oncoming vehicle after i was shunted (to move out the way) and didnt see him shunt me, that i will be done for careless driving and have my licence taken away?? two cars were written off, it was a serious accident???i was injured but only a little

Were you drink driving? Or on your mobile? And they have evidence of this? I dont understand why a simple shunt is being taken to police criminal court - its a simple RTA - you were shunted which knocked you into oncoming traffic - even taking away the guy who rear ended you, it simply shouldnt go down as a criminal act - it was an accident, thats it. If it was that serious then the driver who hit you in the rear will have damage to his car that will be linked to the rear end damage of yours and can be proven that way.
(edited 11 years ago)

The police were rubbish. We'd just had lunch at a pub on a busy road near to the M6 we'd just got into the car and we're still stationary when a man staggered past, got into a 4x4 and drove straight into us!
We went into the pub to ask about CCTV and called the police to give the reg plate and car as the 'drunk' driver was heading towards the M6. The police didn't care and said that because they hadn't seen him, there was nothing they could do. Rubbish!

My boyfriend had a huge dent in his car, and after a couple of months thought that nothing would happen with the insurance and then the insurers called us out of the blue and they had sorted it all out.

Quick Reply

Latest