The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
I would also like to know whether further maths is preferred or necessary to have in order to do Economics at Warwick.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 521
hi, i have made my offer for the BSc Economics course.

Is there a list available of the textbooks I need to purchase?

Many thanks
Reply 522
Original post by kara95k
I would also like to know whether further maths is preferred or necessary to have in order to do Economics at Warwick.

Hi,
as mentioned in the first couple of posts, we don't have a preference for Further Maths, and it certainly isn't required.
Reply 523
Original post by 317
hi, i have made my offer for the BSc Economics course.

Is there a list available of the textbooks I need to purchase?

Many thanks

Hi,
congratulations on making the offer!

Once the A-Level results are finalised, we will send all incoming students a link to a website which will have your reading list. At this stage, you don't need to purchase any textbooks.
Reply 524
what is the average UMS and number of A*'s at GCSE of a successful applicant?
Reply 525
Hi,

Just been looking through the thread and was wondering if you could give me some advice on whether it's worth applying for L100 at Warwick.

I've got 1A*6As 3Bs (eek) at IGCSE (a couple GCSEs in there too) and AABC for AS results. I understand this is weak in comparison to other applicants and would require a very strong personal statement, A*AAB (and higher) predictions and school referral etc. [I'm not really sure what I'm getting at here I'd just like to see how badly the attained grades would damage my application providing everything else was in ship-shape. Obviously this is like asking how long a piece of string is but any feedback would be very much appreciated.]

What is the universities view on retaking one or two AS modules in order to achieve higher AS grades? Does this retaking of modules need to be addressed in the personal statement?

Thank you, I've seen very similar questions to this one but I'm just curious... :smile:
Reply 526
hi

i have an offer for MORSE for october 2012, but I now feel that the Maths and Economics joint degree would suit me better.
Is there a chance of changing course when university starts in October, given that I achieve all the grades necessary?
Thanks
Reply 527
Original post by mmm_66
hi

i have an offer for MORSE for october 2012, but I now feel that the Maths and Economics joint degree would suit me better.
Is there a chance of changing course when university starts in October, given that I achieve all the grades necessary?
Thanks

Hi,
The Maths and Economics course is administered by the Maths department, so you would need to contact them to see if they have capacity to facilitate the switch. I would do this sooner rather than later, as all their places may become filled once the A-Level results are out.
Reply 528
Original post by raynelm
what is the average UMS and number of A*'s at GCSE of a successful applicant?

Hi,
At present, all the data we have relates to the academic performance of students who start on our courses (which is potentially different to those who receive an offer), but we have recently asked the admissions office to provide us with a more comprehensive data set in order to conduct admissions analysis. This isn't likely to come, however, before August.
Reply 529
Original post by Netsky
Hi,

Just been looking through the thread and was wondering if you could give me some advice on whether it's worth applying for L100 at Warwick.

I've got 1A*6As 3Bs (eek) at IGCSE (a couple GCSEs in there too) and AABC for AS results. I understand this is weak in comparison to other applicants and would require a very strong personal statement, A*AAB (and higher) predictions and school referral etc. [I'm not really sure what I'm getting at here I'd just like to see how badly the attained grades would damage my application providing everything else was in ship-shape. Obviously this is like asking how long a piece of string is but any feedback would be very much appreciated.]

What is the universities view on retaking one or two AS modules in order to achieve higher AS grades? Does this retaking of modules need to be addressed in the personal statement?

Thank you, I've seen very similar questions to this one but I'm just curious... :smile:

Hi,
I'd say that your overall academic performance falls below the standard of a typical successful Warwick applicant, but, as has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, whilst that's clearly an important part of the admissions process, it's not the only factor we consider.

Retaking modules is generally ok, but we would want to see an explanation of your previous performance and why it may not be reflective of how you will perform at a university level.
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
congratulations on making your offer!

Brushing up on your maths is a productive use of your time, and these are the topics you will cover in your first year maths course (as an L100 student)

Topic 1: Optimization and stationary points: one-variable functions
Topic 2: Calculus of functions of two or more variables
Topic 3: Multivariate optimization
Topic 4: Constrained optimization
Topic 5: Comparative statics
Topic 6: Matrix and vector algebra
Topic 7: System of linear equations
Topic 8: Interest rates and present values

The textbook for the course is "“Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis"
by Knut Sydsæter and Peter Hammond, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall 2008, and it contains some revision of IB Higher Level maths material, so you may wish to get the book and start working through the material to get a head start.

Aside from the maths, I'd be reading good books about topics you are interested in, as well as The Economist, FT, etc.

I'm sure you can find book recommendations on the forum, but if you want recommendations specifically for behavioural economics, I can help out too.

Does the textbook only cover topics 1-8 or does it also have a lot of excess information?
Reply 531
Original post by Deep456
Does the textbook only cover topics 1-8 or does it also have a lot of excess information?

As I mentioned before, it covers some A-Level revision too, but I'm unsure of the exact contents, other than it's currently the recommended textbook for the course
Hi,
I'd say that your overall academic performance falls below the standard of a typical successful Warwick applicant, but, as has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, whilst that's clearly an important part of the admissions process, it's not the only factor we consider.

Retaking modules is generally ok, but we would want to see an explanation of your previous performance and why it may not be reflective of how you will perform at a university level.

Hi, I have still not received a pre course reading list and was wondering if you could enlighten me on suitable books which could be read as preperation for Economics at Warwick.

Thanks
Reply 533
Original post by Mousebudden
Hi, I have still not received a pre course reading list and was wondering if you could enlighten me on suitable books which could be read as preperation for Economics at Warwick.

Thanks

Hi,
we're currently waiting on our partner departments to update their reading lists for our joint degree courses, so all the material can be sent out in one document, but the below books form the reading list for the "economics" parts of the reading list (there will also be reading for philosophy, politics and international studies if you are doing a joint degree, as well as maths revision)

The starred items form the starting point for each topic. We don't require you to read everything and we expect you to be sensible and choose what matches your individual needs and interests. When the reading list is sent to you via email, and posted on the website, it will contain links to purchase the books from the Warwick Bookshop

Economics For Fun
** Mlodinow, L. 2008. The Drunkard’s Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives.**
Harford, T. 2005. The Undercover Economist.
Glaeser, E. L. 2011. Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier.

Blogs and Websites
** VOX : Research-based policy analysis and commentary from leading economists **
danariely.com : Blog of Dan Ariely, a leading researcher in Behavioural Economics
Economics One : A Blog by John B. Taylor, Professor of Economics at Stanford University
gregmankiw.blogspot.co.uk : Blog of Greg Mankiw, Professor and Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University

Micro and Behavioural Economics
** Dixit, A. and Nalebuff, B. 1993. Thinking Strategically: Competitive Edge in Business, Politics and Everyday Life **
Kahneman, D. 2012. Thinking, Fast and Slow
Kay, J. 2004. The Truth About Markets : Why Some Nations are Rich but Most Remain Poor

Macroeconomics
** Rajan, R.G. 2011. Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy **
Stiglitz, J.E. 2012. The Price of Inequality: The Avoidable Causes and Invisible Costs of Inequality
Krugman, P. 2012. End This Depression Now!

Economic History and Development
** Acemoglu, D. and Robinson, J.A. 2012. Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity and Poverty **
Collier, P. 2008. The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It
Banerjee, A. and Duflo, E. 2011. Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty
Diamond, J.M. 1998. Guns, Germs and Steel: A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years
Reply 534
FAO: Incoming Students

I have added a reading list post (including economics and maths reading, but not yet politics, international studies or philosophy) to the faq in the 3rd post of the thread.

This will also be distributed to you via email around the 20th August
Hello, I have a question for a friend:

In your selection process, how significant are GCSEs? I achieved 8A*s and 2As at AS but may not achieve all As at AS - could range from AABB to AAAB (perhaps if the grade boundaries are low AAAA - this seems unlikely tbh). With strong GCSEs is there a chance id be made an offer for straight economics or economics with industrial organisation?
Reply 536
Original post by tooambitious
Hello, I have a question for a friend:

In your selection process, how significant are GCSEs? I achieved 8A*s and 2As at AS but may not achieve all As at AS - could range from AABB to AAAB (perhaps if the grade boundaries are low AAAA - this seems unlikely tbh). With strong GCSEs is there a chance id be made an offer for straight economics or economics with industrial organisation?

Hi,
it's not possible to say exactly how significant GCSE's are in an application, as they weight we place on them will vary depending on the context of the overall application. Similarly, it's not possible to say how likely an offer is to be made without the complete application in front of us.

That said, we do consider GCSE performance as part of the application process, and your grades are similar to an "average" successful applicant to our courses. But, again, that isn't to say your grades are either a necessary or sufficient condition to get an offer.
Hi,
it's not possible to say exactly how significant GCSE's are in an application, as they weight we place on them will vary depending on the context of the overall application. Similarly, it's not possible to say how likely an offer is to be made without the complete application in front of us.

That said, we do consider GCSE performance as part of the application process, and your grades are similar to an "average" successful applicant to our courses. But, again, that isn't to say your grades are either a necessary or sufficient condition to get an offer.

Thanks, I'll let my friend know, she's not sure whether or not to apply you see.
Reply 538
do you teach anything about networks in undergraduate economics?
Reply 539
Original post by angyyy
do you teach anything about networks in undergraduate economics?

Hi,
the topic isn't currently part of the "core" undergraduate syllabus, but we run third year optional modules called "Topics in Economic Theory" and "Topics in Applied Economics" which have parts which change on a fairly frequent basis, and are used to cover more advanced micro topics such as networks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending