Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
the topic isn't currently part of the "core" undergraduate syllabus, but we run third year optional modules called "Topics in Economic Theory" and "Topics in Applied Economics" which have parts which change on a fairly frequent basis, and are used to cover more advanced micro topics such as networks.

would talking about networks on my PS put me at a disadvantage then/be an inefficient use of space?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 541
Original post by angyyy
would talking about networks on my PS put me at a disadvantage then/be an inefficient use of space?

Not particularly, as we realise that applicants have their own areas of interest which can demonstrate their passion for the subject.

More important is your ability to discuss that area, and whether or not an intellectual capability come across.
Reply 542
Warwick Undergraduate (UG) Admissions Confirmation for Economics

Thursday 16th August sees the release of A-Level results in England, and, simultaneously, the release of the majority of remaining UG admissions decisions for the Department of Economics for 2012 entry.

If you have successfully met the conditions of your offer, many congratulations, and you will shortly receive information from both the University and the Department regarding the next steps. In the meantime, please visit the Welcome to Warwick website for a flavour of what is to come.

If you have failed to meet the conditions of your offer, please check UCAS Track to see the latest status of your application. In some cases, you will be shown as โ€œsuccessfulโ€, your place in the Warwick Economics Department is secured, and you can follow the above information for successful applicants. In some cases, you will be shown as โ€œunsuccessfulโ€, as we only have a limited number of discretionary places to offer, meaning that we are unable to take even very talented applicants who have only missed their offer by a narrow margin. In some cases, your decision will still be โ€œoutstandingโ€, as we have a record number of offers to process which may take some time to return to UCAS, so please keep checking UCAS Track for updates, or contact the Confirmation Hotline (+44 (0)24 7653 3544) for the latest information.

If your decision is still outstanding because you have not yet submitted requested evidence of your school level exam results or English Language qualifications (e.g. IELTS), then please do so as soon as possible to the UG Admissions office. The longer you wait to send your complete results and requested documentation, the less chance there is of a place being available if you have missed any part of your offer.

If you have missed your offer, with Warwick as your โ€œinsuranceโ€ offer, please be aware that a decision may take slightly longer than normal, as we can only process your application once your โ€œfirst choiceโ€ university has confirmed to us that they will not be making you an offer.

If you have any questions about your application, please check the What Happens Next website - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/next/ - or phone the Confirmation Hotline (+44 (0)24 7653 3544) for the most up to date information. If you wish to speak to someone in the Economics Department regarding your application a member of the Economics Admissions Team will be available for you to speak to from 3pm to 5pm each working day between the 16th and 22nd August on +44 (0)24 7615 1120

Please note, the Economics Admissions Team can only provide general information about the admissions process and how decisions are reached, and are not permitted to either make or reverse offer decisions. For the most up to date information about your specific application, it is recommended you contact the Confirmation Hotline in the first instance.
What would you say the average AS grades and the average number for predicted A*'s at A Level are for a successful applicant?
Reply 544
Original post by Hebbamundo
What would you say the average AS grades and the average number for predicted A*'s at A Level are for a successful applicant?

Hi,
because the number of subjects being taken is small, and the overall quality of applicants to the department is very high, we tend to see very little variation in the number of A grades at AS-Level. The modal group is probably straight A's, but I don't have complete data to say for certain.

In terms of predicted A*'s at A-Level, we tend to combine the qualitative information actually in the school's statement, along with AS level results and A-Level predictions, to form judgement's about the potential of the applicant for achieving the grades at A-Level. We are happy to make offers as long as we believe that a student will be able to attain the offer we set, acknowledging there can be considerable variance between schools as to how willing they are to predict A* grades.
hi,

I have tried to telephone the undergraduate admissions office this morning but was unable to get through.

I have been offered a place on the course Accountancy and Finance (NN34).
I originally applied for course Economics and Industrial Organisation (L112)

My current A level results are : A* Economics
A Mathematics
A Chemistry

My AS level results are : A Biology
B Further Maths

I was wondering whether you would be able to find a place for me on the Economics and Industrial Organisation (L112) or Economics (L100) courses, as these were really my preferred choices as I have enjoyed studying Economics over the past two years and would prefer to study it further to keep my options broader based.
These results mean that I now exceed the entry requirements of A*AA (A).

I am aware of an applicant from my school who has been offered a place for Economics who fell short satisfy the A level requirements of the course but has just been accepted, I find this disappointing since I was rejected for this course yet now have the grades. I hope you will be able to reassess my application and let me know as soon as possible the outcome.

thanks,
Daniel
Reply 546
Original post by dharrisoncroft
hi,

I have tried to telephone the undergraduate admissions office this morning but was unable to get through.

I have been offered a place on the course Accountancy and Finance (NN34).
I originally applied for course Economics and Industrial Organisation (L112)

My current A level results are : A* Economics
A Mathematics
A Chemistry

My AS level results are : A Biology
B Further Maths

I was wondering whether you would be able to find a place for me on the Economics and Industrial Organisation (L112) or Economics (L100) courses, as these were really my preferred choices as I have enjoyed studying Economics over the past two years and would prefer to study it further to keep my options broader based.
These results mean that I now exceed the entry requirements of A*AA (A).

I am aware of an applicant from my school who has been offered a place for Economics who fell short satisfy the A level requirements of the course but has just been accepted, I find this disappointing since I was rejected for this course yet now have the grades. I hope you will be able to reassess my application and let me know as soon as possible the outcome.

thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Firstly, many congratulations on your great results and being accepted on to Accounting and Finance.

Unfortunately, this year, we are unable to accept any transfers from other departments, as we have hit our capacity for the number of students the department can hold, based on the number of students who made our offer (which hit record numbers this year) and the small number of places we made available to applicants (such as the applicant at your school) who narrowly missed the offer. We are always keen, where possible, to take talented students into the department, but, this year, it's simply a case of there being no space left available.

If you choose to continue studying AC/F, you will be able to select a significant number of economics modules, as options, during your course in all years of study, so you will be able to study core aspects of the subject as part of your current degree course.
Hi Daniel,

Firstly, many congratulations on your great results and being accepted on to Accounting and Finance.

Unfortunately, this year, we are unable to accept any transfers from other departments, as we have hit our capacity for the number of students the department can hold, based on the number of students who made our offer (which hit record numbers this year) and the small number of places we made available to applicants (such as the applicant at your school) who narrowly missed the offer. We are always keen, where possible, to take talented students into the department, but, this year, it's simply a case of there being no space left available.

If you choose to continue studying AC/F, you will be able to select a significant number of economics modules, as options, during your course in all years of study, so you will be able to study core aspects of the subject as part of your current degree course.

What about moving within the same department? Are there still restrictions in terms of how many people are on each course, and should anyone enquire about moving would it be better to do so before term/courses start, or 2 weeks in? Thanks
Reply 548
Original post by roseroserose.
What about moving within the same department? Are there still restrictions in terms of how many people are on each course, and should anyone enquire about moving would it be better to do so before term/courses start, or 2 weeks in? Thanks

I can't speak for the transfer policy of WBS, but, in Economics, there is some flexibility to move between our 3 courses (EPAIS, Economics, Economics and Industrial Organisation) depending on your A-Level Maths results, and, whilst it could be possible to transfer early on in the course, it would be preferred if you could inform us of an intent to transfer as soon as possible.
Reply 549
x

What was the average mark for Econ 2?
Reply 550
Original post by angyyy
do you teach anything about networks in undergraduate economics?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/modules/3rd/ec341/
Reply 551
Original post by Focus08
What was the average mark for Econ 2?

pretty good
Reply 552
Does anybody know about what is the date that undergraduate economics students finish with their exams in the 1st year????? thank you
Reply 553
Original post by Wi wi
Does anybody know about what is the date that undergraduate economics students finish with their exams in the 1st year????? thank you

Hi,
the exam timetable isn't released until the start of the third term, so whilst it's possible to estimate based on last year's timetable, there isn't a way of "guaranteeing" that you won't have an exam after a certain date until the timetable is released.
Reply 554
Hi,
the exam timetable isn't released until the start of the third term, so whilst it's possible to estimate based on last year's timetable, there isn't a way of "guaranteeing" that you won't have an exam after a certain date until the timetable is released.

do you happen to know the last year's timetable??????

I am not really interested on the exact date, rather than in the month. Is there any case that we have finished by 22 June or is it usually middle July or later than 22 June?????
Reply 555
Original post by Wi wi
do you happen to know the last year's timetable??????

I am not really interested on the exact date, rather than in the month. Is there any case that we have finished by 22 June or is it usually middle July or later than 22 June?????

The end of term is the 29th June (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/termdates/) , and it's unlikely you'll have exams in week 10, so 22nd June is probably the latest possible finishing date.
Reply 556
The end of term is the 29th June (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/termdates/) , and it's unlikely you'll have exams in week 10, so 22nd June is probably the latest possible finishing date.

Thank you very much for answering. Apart from the exams, is the week 10 of the summer term compulsory to attend??? I mean, are new topics and modules taught in this week or is it just other kind of events taking place???? I am asking all this because I want to know if I can be back home before or around 22 June in order to attend a program I attend every summer here. This is what I want to know, always based on last years' experience. Thank you very much again
Reply 557
Original post by Wi wi
Thank you very much for answering. Apart from the exams, is the week 10 of the summer term compulsory to attend??? I mean, are new topics and modules taught in this week or is it just other kind of events taking place???? I am asking all this because I want to know if I can be back home before or around 22 June in order to attend a program I attend every summer here. This is what I want to know, always based on last years' experience. Thank you very much again

Some people go home in week 10, though there tends to be Union and University summer events being held. Not teaching though.
Reply 558
Could you please answer if I should be able to proceed with the enrolment right now or should I wait for an email???? Generally, after the confirmation from UCAS, what is the next thing I should do??????? Thank you again
Reply 559
Original post by Wi wi
Could you please answer if I should be able to proceed with the enrolment right now or should I wait for an email???? Generally, after the confirmation from UCAS, what is the next thing I should do??????? Thank you again

Hi,
please wait for email and postal correspondence from both the University and the Department, and follow the steps that are listed for you in those messages.

Quick Reply