The Student Room Group

Tragus and/or conch piercing?

So I've been looking at getting a new piercing or piercings and I have to stick to my ears for sport reasons. So I have been looking into getting my tragus/conch pierced for a long time. I've researched a lot but would like you fellow TSR's to answer a few of my questions. Those who have either/or their tragus/conch done or even better both please comment as your comments would be most helpful!

My questions are:

-PAIN rating? On a scale of 1-10 how bad did it hurt when being pierced? Afterwards? I have a low pain threshold so this is a slight worry.

-What kind of jewellery were you pierced with? Barbel? And what did you use after the piercing had healed?

-How long did it take to heal?

-If you have other piercings how much did it/they hurt compared to the others?

Thanks guys, feel free to tell me anything else about your tragus/conch piercing. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I got my conch done about a week ago, I'd say on a scale of 1-10 it was about a 6. Not that bad really considering it's supposed to be one of the more painful ones (my forward helix piercing hurt more, if that's anything to go by - it was probably about an 8). I was pierced with a straight labret, but I think they also do them with barbells, a ring is not advised for healing. I can't comment on healing because it's not been long but so far it's doing well, not too sore and only a bit of gunk in the mornings (sorry tmi!). I was also thinking about tragus at one point, but as I spend most of my time with earphones in, it wouldn't be the best idea for me to have it done!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I've got my right tragus pierced and it's my favourite piercing.

When I had it done they numbed my ear a little with a spray. So out of 10, I'd say maybe 4 pain-wise. I had a barbel which was bigger than I needed as it swells a little and you have to account for that. I do have friends who had the ring put in though. It took about 6 weeks or more to heal from memory. It was a little tender for a while and I didn't put any in-ear headphones in for a little while, but you barely notice it when it's healed. The only other piercings I have are my lobes, so it hurt only a little more than that.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I got my conch done about a week ago, I'd say on a scale of 1-10 it was about a 6. Not that bad really considering it's supposed to be one of the more painful ones (my forward helix piercing hurt more, if that's anything to go by - it was probably about an 8). I was pierced with a straight labret, but I think they also do them with barbells, a ring is not advised for healing. I can't comment on healing because it's not been long but so far it's doing well, not too sore and only a bit of gunk in the mornings (sorry tmi!). I was also thinking about tragus at one point, but as I spend most of my time with earphones in, it wouldn't be the best idea for me to have it done!

Thanks! :smile: the conch is so different! The only thing that is worrying me is the pain :frown:
Original post by conniebee
I've got my right tragus pierced and it's my favourite piercing.

When I had it done they numbed my ear a little with a spray. So out of 10, I'd say maybe 4 pain-wise. I had a barbel which was bigger than I needed as it swells a little and you have to account for that. I do have friends who had the ring put in though. It took about 6 weeks or more to heal from memory. It was a little tender for a while and I didn't put any in-ear headphones in for a little while, but you barely notice it when it's healed. The only other piercings I have are my lobes, so it hurt only a little more than that.

:smile: thanks for that! The tragus piercing is so cute but really common now! Still that doesn't put me off! Again the only thing worrying me is the pain.
Original post by sophieleannexo
Thanks! :smile: the conch is so different! The only thing that is worrying me is the pain :frown:

I always find worrying about a piercing is worse than the piercing itself! The pain literally lasts about 3 seconds when they put the needle/jewellery in...and after that it's more like a throbbing feeling rather than intense pain. The worst part is waiting for it, like being at the dentist or something! But walking out with a lovely new piercing is the best feeling :biggrin:
I always find worrying about a piercing is worse than the piercing itself! The pain literally lasts about 3 seconds when they put the needle/jewellery in...and after that it's more like a throbbing feeling rather than intense pain. The worst part is waiting for it, like being at the dentist or something! But walking out with a lovely new piercing is the best feeling :biggrin:

:biggrin: thanks! I know it will hurt but it is how much it will hurt that is worrying me. :frown: I cried when I got my earlobes pierced when I was 13 :/ I have no other piercings to compare the pain to apart from my ear lobes so!
what the hell is a conch/tragus? I thought a conch was a sea creature.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch

haha, I think conch is also a type of shell? A tragus piercing is the bit of cartilage that sticks out where your ear meets your head, and a conch piercing is through the middle of the ear (flat bit of cartilage).
Reply 9
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch

haha, I think conch is also a type of shell? A tragus piercing is the bit of cartilage that sticks out where your ear meets your head, and a conch piercing is through the middle of the ear (flat bit of cartilage).

ear-piercing-diagram.jpg
Does this help?
Reply 10
So I've been looking at getting a new piercing or piercings and I have to stick to my ears for sport reasons. So I have been looking into getting my tragus/conch pierced for a long time. I've researched a lot but would like you fellow TSR's to answer a few of my questions. Those who have either/or their tragus/conch done or even better both please comment as your comments would be most helpful!

My questions are:

-PAIN rating? On a scale of 1-10 how bad did it hurt when being pierced? Afterwards? I have a low pain threshold so this is a slight worry.

-What kind of jewellery were you pierced with? Barbel? And what did you use after the piercing had healed?

Thanks guys, feel free to tell me anything else about your tragus/conch piercing. :smile:

1. For pain, i'd say it was a 6/7, pain is different for everyone - I had to have mine done twice...so it was worse 'cos I have a small tragus and it was so fiddly!

2. Mine was done with a labret stud as are most, either that or a ring, they're the same as lip studs and are pretty common. Labrets are better to pierce with and you can change it to a ring if you want when it's healed :smile:

3. Mine healed really quickly, it's average about 6 weeks, but mine seemed to heal very quickly!

4. Like I said earlier, pain is individual. From what I've heard a conch hurts more than a tragus though!

Oh, and don't worry about all the stuff about you can't wear headphones with a tragus - you can, it makes no difference for me!

:smile:

Hope that helped, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

xo
Original post by Mega Nerd
1. For pain, i'd say it was a 6/7, pain is different for everyone - I had to have mine done twice...so it was worse 'cos I have a small tragus and it was so fiddly!

2. Mine was done with a labret stud as are most, either that or a ring, they're the same as lip studs and are pretty common. Labrets are better to pierce with and you can change it to a ring if you want when it's healed :smile:

3. Mine healed really quickly, it's average about 6 weeks, but mine seemed to heal very quickly!

4. Like I said earlier, pain is individual. From what I've heard a conch hurts more than a tragus though!

Oh, and don't worry about all the stuff about you can't wear headphones with a tragus - you can, it makes no difference for me!

:smile:

Hope that helped, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

xo

Thank you! Like I've said in my OP's I am just scared of the pain. The pain is putting me off! :frown:
Reply 12
Thank you! Like I've said in my OP's I am just scared of the pain. The pain is putting me off! :frown:

So was I, but the way I thought of it was, the actual pain is over pretty quick. There's a little throbbing afterwards, but I think it's worth it :smile:

For some places you can get numbing cream...not sure if it works or not though!
Original post by Mega Nerd
So was I, but the way I thought of it was, the actual pain is over pretty quick. There's a little throbbing afterwards, but I think it's worth it :smile:

For some places you can get numbing cream...not sure if it works or not though!

:biggrin: fair enough! And yeah it probably will be! And I might ask about that when I go for my consultation on results day! :biggrin:
I had my Tagus pierced in January and I personally didn't think it was very painful to have done, but afterwards when it was still tender I caught it a couple of times and found that really painful!

I had my Tagus pierced with a surgical steel labret stud which I think is the norm. Now it is healed I wear a bio past bar with a jewel that fits inside the hollow bar. I find these better as you don't have to push the thread of the metal bar though the piercing. I have something like this:

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/clear_bioflex_jewelled_disc_labret_stud_crystal_clear_11385782.cfm

The most painful piercing I ever had was a rook piercing, which is a very thick piece of cartilage. I can imagine the conch would also be quite painful as its so thick.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by myblueheaven339
I had my Tagus pierced in January and I personally didn't think it was very painful to have done, but afterwards when it was still tender I caught it a couple of times and found that really painful!

I had my Tagus pierced with a surgical steel labret stud which I think is the norm. Now it is healed I wear a bio past bar with a jewel that fits inside the hollow bar. I find these better as you don't have to push the thread of the metal bar though the piercing. I have something like this:

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/clear_bioflex_jewelled_disc_labret_stud_crystal_clear_11385782.cfm

The most painful piercing I ever had was a rook piercing, which is a very thick piece of cartilage. I can imagine the conch would also be quite painful as its so thick.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thank you! That was really helpful!
Reply 16

My questions are:

I had my tragus done - it was not a good experience. I'm not saying you shouldn't have it done, but it's always worth knowing the risks.
The piercing itself wasn't too painful - 5/6 out of 10.
I was pierced with a labret stud.
I had it pierced on the wednesday, and on the monday I was in A&E getting it pulled out due to infection. Make sure you're very careful with touching/cleaning it. The reason my infection flared up so badly is because there is a nerve cluster just behind your ear, and so it is a lot more sensitive. My entire ear swelled, my jaw could barely move and the stud started to get embedded in my ear. I was on a weeks course of antibiotics.

So my advice is, get it done, but be rigorous with your cleaning!
Original post by skunky x
I had my tragus done - it was not a good experience. I'm not saying you shouldn't have it done, but it's always worth knowing the risks.
The piercing itself wasn't too painful - 5/6 out of 10.
I was pierced with a labret stud.
I had it pierced on the wednesday, and on the monday I was in A&E getting it pulled out due to infection. Make sure you're very careful with touching/cleaning it. The reason my infection flared up so badly is because there is a nerve cluster just behind your ear, and so it is a lot more sensitive. My entire ear swelled, my jaw could barely move and the stud started to get embedded in my ear. I was on a weeks course of antibiotics.

So my advice is, get it done, but be rigorous with your cleaning!

:O I will be after that! Thanks.

My questions are:

I have my tragus done.
3, it only hurt briefly when the needle was put in, it felt like someone was pinching my tragus hard and wriggling it a bit :laugh:. Afterwards it just felt really hot like with other piercings.

Had it pierced with something like this, not sure what it's called though (I think it's a labret stud). It was Titanium.7etxEDDu4wGnYxP.jpg After the piercing I used the same bar but change the ball on the end to a prettier one.

It didn't take too long for me, I didn't have any problems with it. Hurt more than a lobe piercing (obv).

If you did get your tragus pierced you probably won't be able to listen to music in that one ear, it's an obvious one to think about but I rushed into getting mine so I wasn't thinking logically. I don't regret getting it now though :smile:.

I do have trouble with it though because my tragus is tiny and so is my ear canal so it's hard to get hold of the back to unscrew the ball.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
:O I will be after that! Thanks.

Hope I haven't discouraged you - but as you can see you have many more good experiences to my bad one, so it's unlikely, but beware!

Quick Reply

Latest